1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's going on with Randalls grocery stores?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Feb 6, 2020.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Randalls is outdated.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Randalls is the only grocery store I go in that regularly has expired stock on the shelves. And I'm not taking about just one store.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I disagree. Randalls was a major player in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. I think they were the #2 grocery chain in the Houston area. They had the best looking stores by far.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I remember when Randall's didn't sell alcohol.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I shop at the Randall's at Memorial @ Dairy Ashford. They've kept it in good shape, and just finished interior renovations a few months back. The closest HEB is the one at Bunker Hill, and it's a nightmare to navigate, particularly on weekends which is when I shop.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

This.

25 years ago Randall’s was the best grocery store around. It was expensive but the produce was immaculate, the stores were extremely clean, the employees were paid well and service was stressed.

The one by our house had a dry cleaner, huge video rental area, pleasant pharmacy and valet parking for the old.

Basically you paid more for a pleasant experience. It was then sold to Albertson’s and fell apart.

7. Fantasma Negro

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bu...e-five-grocery-stores-in-Houston-14970890.php

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Randall's is such a Houston staple that noted rapper Lil' Keke used the phrase "shop at that Randall" in the legendary June 27 freestyle.

I remember going there with my mom all the time as a kid.

travfrancis and Mr. Brightside like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aside from it sucking... grocery stores are often modeled to make their profits by owning the strip center they operate in, and collecting rent from the neighboring stores. I don't think HEB always operates that way. Randalls might. Which could have something to do with it.

10. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Which location(s) do you shop at? The 3 or 4 I've been to on the west side between BW8 and 610 all have them.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Apple Tree!

Randall's ended the Cold War. Show some respect, people.

pgabriel, Nook, superfob and 2 others like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you forget to use your rewards card the prices are ****ing stupid.

it’s more expensive than HEB and HEB has better produce/proteins. I only go to Randall’s if I’m heading to my buddies place in south shore and need to grab beer.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not during my time and area I guess; late 80s, early 90s, NW. I can think of one Randalls, which was on 290, which may still be there. I was always surrounded by Krogers, so thats where we shopped.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

The only Randalls I know of anymore is the one on Westheimer & Gessner and the one in midtown. Last time I stepped in one it was in complete disarray, broken egg shells, expired milk, just awful. They have always been expensive too, but the one thing they have on all the competition is they run the best meat sales in town. Whatever meat they have on sale that week will be cheapest in town, whether it's ribeyes, chuck roasts, NY strips, whatever.

I'm a Kroger guy, HEB is good but I cant stand the shopping experience, the crowd, and the way they layout their newer stores. Kroger is convenient and I can get in and out in minutes. HEB is a damn excursion now, no different than venturing through Costco it seems.

Fiesta is washed, but they still are the produce champs - they still hold all the contracts with the best farms in Mexico.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Randall's is the Sears of grocery stores -- walking in one is like a portal to the 80s.

ferrari77, Nook, superfob and 3 others like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

If you really want to step through a portal to the 80s, check out the Pizza Inn buffet on Mangum. Blew my mind this place still exists.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Because randalls has looked exactly the same for the last 20 years. The pearland one close to 288 is all gloomy and dreary.
    I go in there to renew my car registration twice a year.

Groceries - HEB / Costco

Other household items (cleaning supplies, shampoo/deodorant, over the counter meds etc.) - Costco / HEB / Target / Amazon and maybe Walmart if i can't find it elsewhere.

The crowd at walmart is.....interesting. I went in there a few months back to get some transmission oil. Better prices than your local auto part store.

I never go to Kroger.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

My Grandmother in Marble Falls used to looooove the Mr. Gattis, cracked me up every time I took her there. It's closed but I'm assuming there's still stores around?

I spent many, many quarters on the 4-way tabletop Gauntlet video game at the one on San Felipe when I was a kid.

boomboom, Nook and McNultyisDrunk like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I shop Kroger and HEB. HEB for the prices, Kroger for the convenience.

My local Kroger has 24 self checkouts. I don’t like standing in lines, so this is like heaven to me.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Walmart is great for oil (both transmission/engine), kills most auto store prices like you said. Amazon sometimes competes but lately I'll just go to Walmart and buy the oil there, I mean you can get synthetic mobil 1 for cheap, especially vs O'Reillys/Autozone etc

Sajan likes this.