1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s Official - Morey Sucks!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Yeah, I used to get really wrapped up in how our Houston teams were doing; but as I've been getting on in the years I'm finding it less important. I love my Rockets, but I'm over letting them ruin my night if they're not playing well.

That said, I am going to show my displeasure at the current owner by not frequenting any of his restaurants.

MrButtocks, fryjol7 and coyotetex like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The same thing they said about McHale.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Look dude, there is no gm in the league that wants to dump assets to save money. That guy doesn't exist. If a GM is getting rid of HIS OWN ASSETS for nothing in return, that is instruction from the owner, end of story. This isn't about making excuses for Morey. This is not Houston specific. This is true about any GM on any team across the league.

HP3, tycoonchip and coyotetex like this.
  4. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I remember being absolutely destroyed for a week when the Cougars lost to the Irish in the Cotton Bowl in like 83 or 84. It's taken years for me to get the right perspective. Love watching the games. If they win, its a blast. If they lose I go play with my dogs or take my wife out to dinner or watch an episode of Big Bang Theory and forget about it.

But I like your idea of hitting Tillman in the wallet.

TheJet and Wooderson like this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think the Harden era will soon be fading away. I give it 2 years before tilman decides to go a new regime and tank.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wrong on both counts.

treyk3 likes this.
  7. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Okay so you're worth 100s of millions of dollars? If so, why are you HERE arguing with random people on a BBS?

And I guess you are saying that you do think Morey was stupid enough to handcuff himself into a contract where his control as GM could be taken away and he'd have to waste up to 4 years of his life just sucking it up?

8. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

You are a child if you think money is a proxy for competence. And I make a lot of money.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm on record here many times that my family was in the initial bidding along w/ tilman 2 summers ago. and of course as my join date indicates, i'm a lifelong rockets fan.

regarding morey's contract, who knows what stipulations are in it? debating randumb speculation...

10. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Having money is obviously not a proxy for competence. No competent person would think so.

But, success in business has a very high correlation to competence. In the absence of success based on nepotism, there are few things harder in the world than building a successful business that creates billions of dollars of personal wealth.

Incompetent people don't usually build billion dollar business fortunes and then get approved to buy major league sports franchises.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

this is true.

My apologies, I was unaware that you were a boomer. I guess you are Tilman's brother?

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Why care about this team ran by a cheap owner when you can do the same for a rich owner for the Knicks.

13. mastan

mastan Member

Ariza went to Phoenix for $15mil only after Rocktets didn't show interest in retaining him... there was very high chance Rockets could retain him if they offered a 2-3 years deal for the amount he was making then. The bigger problem is Morey and co ( Tillman + MDA) did almost nothing to replace him.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree on MDA, but who was the GM who hired him?

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are upside down in contracts. Had to give a FRP to get rid of Capela and Roco infatuation cost us. We are not giving them for free either, nice narrative. Take horrible contracts away from us and get a 14-21th pick.

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People gonna say its MDA's fault for small ball. Morey groupies are a real thing

Joe Smith likes this.
  19. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Once a meme gets started, it has a life of its own.

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn't specifically talking about the pick in this most recent trade, and I'm not trying to push any narrative, this is just the way I see it. I understand that you, as someone who doesn't like Morey, probably blame him for getting into these situations in the first place, but I would think we can at least agree that the luxury tax maneuvering is at Tilmans direction. Do you agree that Morey was ordered to dump assets to duck the tax while getting nothing in return?