1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome Jordan Bell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 5, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't say you did. Ihart has gotten into the game in the last few games and has looked terrible. that's a big reason why

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He gets in for like 5-6 minutes. When he gets longer stretches, he posts some great games. Whether that is cause or effect, I don't know, but the potential is there. He is a great roll man who has more versatility than Capela while having similar defensive/rebounding metrics. Whether he can do that as a starter is a big question mark, but we haven't had the chance to evaluate that.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's an assumption. he has potential but he has to actually show it. hes going to have to just be able to play better in order to earn time. these opportunities he gets, he has to be able to take advantage of. otherwise he isn't helping himself

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Not a lot of 21 year old bigs who you can toss out there for 5-6 minutes and expect them to pick up all the nuances of an NBA-level game. He's obviously not an elite tier C but he has the tools to be a starting C. The same things were said about Capela - non-Rockets fans laughed at his free throws and his rocky start. Look at him now. He's a top 10 C.

snowconeman22 and Drift Monkey like this.
  5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

In year 2, Capela got more burn despite poorer performances. I don't get it, personally. We can't expect 40 mins of Tucker as a small ball C to end well for us in the postseason.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think he's a starting C at all. the same things CC now being labeled as a odd fit for this team applies to IHart. The difference is CC was supposed to be your big minutes starter with a sizeable contract. IHart is not

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hartenstein has more offensive tools than Capela. Most of the other pluses/minuses are similar. Capela has more experience which is why he isn't a foul machine like Hartenstein. There's only one way to fix lack of experience.

I find it hard to believe that Hartenstein isn't more situationally useful. D'Antoni plays the same rotation regardless of context. It's frustrating.

For example, trotting out Capela last year when he was getting killed.

cmoak1982 and Drift Monkey like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

does he? i mean he can't shoot just like capela. he's not exactly a vertical threat. he has a soft touch around the rim though

and he's also not that good defensively. certainly not as good as capela was. he consistently gets worked in pnr's and iso's

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

One thing about bell that always threw me off -. For a super athletic dude, he runs weird. Like an old man weird. Sprinting he's fine, but watch him go up and down the court.

malakas likes this.
  10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

His rim protection numbers are similar. I haven't seen points allowed as the PnR defender, so I can't comment. Observationally, Capela is better at reading those.

11. CertifiedTroll

I just hope Chandler is on a hearty diet of PEDs for post season action

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's hardly a deterrent. For me IHart has to find a way to contribute when he gets a chance at time. no matter when or how much that is. Hard for me to see much of a case for him otherwise. The rockets are going with certain lineups that are showing to work. If they get no contribution otherwise, they're just going to go back to what works.

13. Madclownpacasum

Because Hartenstein was tasked to be like Capela, Why not be Hartenstein with a decent 3pt range he got. Dont have to small ball for 48 min

snowconeman22 and Drift Monkey like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ihart can't shoot.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If he can get 10 and 5 but actually play defense he'd be an upgrade from Faried.

bulkatron and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hardhead doesn't make players better.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

the problem with that strategy is it leaves no room for growth. Pop has a long leash with his young players which is why they have a great track record developing them. I don’t see D’Antoni pulling Gordon when he misses 12 3’s. It’s the same stubbornness that has plagued our team for a decade. Giving him 10 mpg won’t kill us and will help us down the road - even if to just build his trade value

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's no secret mda has a shorter leash for guys that aren't exactly trusted. the problem with the give him 10 mpg and it won't kill us can be wrong. theoretically that can be true but that's only if he can show positive contribution. he came in for a few minutes against utah and immediately became a -9 in his stretch. it was bad. people think limited minutes don't really hurt but it absolutely can

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Utah is a great team. There are other teams against whom we should let him get more PT

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

they are. they had really good offseason. but they shifted more towards the space model by getting rid of favors and signing a shooting big like Bogdanovic. So they essentially are 4 out now with their guys instead of 3. Leaving only gobert as their only non shooter on the floor. Problem with gobert is he's always been pretty charmin so making him have to come out on the perimeter and guard frustrates him tremendously. especially when he's unable to do much on the other end. you can clearly see it every time he plays houston. he hates it