1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Given how little the Rockets developed in the last 3-4 years, he is special........

beggars cannot choose that is exactly why Morey never successfully landed a 3rd star.

The Rockets are not OKC who had 3 top talents and a young Ibaka.

Montrezl was solely developed by the Clippers as another example.

Covington himself is another example, how easily the Rox let talents go for extreme veteran leadership.

#681 daywalker02, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its just a trade we had to make sooner than later.

Russ capela and harden only works against certain teams. In todays NBA guarding the 3 is more important than two. players like roco are hard to find. We weren't going to be a contender with CC anyways. it would be the same thing first or second round exit. This now stretches the window to find that 3 point shooting center, hopefully by this summer.

capela can't guard AD in the paint anyways, but roco can guard him on the 3 and the perimeter on switches better than clint, so its a wash.

we're basically giving up the mismatch in the paint like we have always done.

we may have overpaid a little, but what if the clippers, GS or lakers got him? we needed roco and the amount he gets paid is great value.

it was a good trade. we had to trade clint at his highest value or we would risk his value going down with an injury.

I am optimistic now. its exactly what I wanted to happen. if we didn't make this trade we don't know if a better trade would be available by this summer. if we passed on this, what other forward could we have traded clint for?

good job morey.

#682 jcmoon, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    D-rock, BigShasta and coyotetex like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You need to look down.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

No.

Cov, Bell, a high 2nd and 5 mill in salary below the cap with two open roster spots

for

Capela, Green, Nene and a low First.

The 2nd is as good as the first when you consider the lack of guaranteed money.

The cap room and roster spots will allow us to be a top destination for buyouts and gives us flexibility to take back salary in other trades before the deadline.

it’s a Great trade for the Rockets if they leverage the cap space and roster spots to do something else that improves the team.

D-rock, jiggyfly, BigShasta and 2 others like this.
  5. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

This was EXACTLY a Morey move.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

7. mockster

mockster Member

Honestly I love Rockets vision

fk the future!, that’s how you become the Knicks and Kings for 15+ years

Rockets always trying to be relevant, it’s more entertaining in my opinion.

D-rock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Well Division Champs are a good thing in this section so he may have thought it was a safe place for himself.

Ducks and runs lol

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

uhh, i don't think so

Huncho Bean, Vivi, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the 2nd is in 2024, impossible to say whether it will be high or low

coyotetex and Von Rafer like this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Initially, I thought we got squeezed, so I slept on it before I commented. Upon a good night's rest, I still think we over paid for Roco. However, I don't think Morey's done and it could be who we add via buyout that makes all of the difference in how this trade settles for both the team and the fans.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Can somebody tell me how much time exactly is left before the trade deadline? Thanks

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

What "questionable move" has Morey done this year?

*Sign EG to cheap deal
    *Trade for WB who is 4 years younger than Cp3
    *Sign Thabo and Tyson Chandler
    *Sign Rivers to vet min
    *Sign House to 3M deal
    *LTS

Morey has been making great deals the entire year while also saving his owner a bunch of money. Not sure what you are complaining about Morey has done a fantastic job this year getting talent while still complying with ownership LTS demands. If he quits the Rockets another team is gonna snatch him up real fast.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bye!

D-rock, Possum, rusHour and 2 others like this.
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Deal makes no sense to me. Where is the improvement?

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The NBA trade deadline is just one day away (Feb. 6, 3 p.m. ET).

D-rock likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Really? I thought we paid market rate for him.

+Roco
    +Nene and GG contract (12M capspace)
    +2nd round pick
    +Jordan Bell (Tucker heir apparent)

For:
    -Capela
    -Frp

I dunno seems like the Rox come out slightly ahead to me esp if they can use that 12M to sign somebody else. It's not like the Rox gave up a lotto pick it's a first round pick and we are getting a 2nd round pick in return. The diff between low frp and 2nd rounder isnt a lot esp for a contending team like the Rox.

The team that got screwed here is Minny they paid the player we wanted but somehow didnt get Capela. The team that made out like bandits is Atlanta they got Capela who is the best asset in the trade even if they didnt provide the biggest assets in the trade. Rox did ayt they come out very slightly ahead but they got the guy they wanted and gave up a piece that doesnt really help win a ring in the short term.

D-rock, BigShasta and jcmoon like this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Capela and a FRP for Roco and Bell isn’t good value by any measure. Let’s wait and see what else gets added however.

The small ball let’s play like the Warriors death lineup is a fine idea. However that only works when you can hit 3s, pass the ball, AND play defense like they did.

This team even with Roco can’t shoot or defend as well.

We will see tomorrow against the Lakers. Play 5 out and drive past the bigs and make your open 3s. Gang rebound and box out to prevent all those second chances opportunities. Sounds so easy right?