1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Meh, I guess. I had accepted that Capela was gone and that we'd also dump a 1st along the way to achieve LTS, so I'm not surprised or anything, but I'm not excited about it either. This doesn't really make us better.

Vivi likes this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Let's see how Capela plays without Harden first

rocketman84 likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good lord this is sad. I’m more and more convinced today Morey is gone after this year. ANOTHER first round pick for a salary dump move that actually sends out more talent for less in the end.

I like Covington and think the Rockets are desperate for 3/D wings but in no way is he better and first round pick more valuable than Capela.

Capela is still really valuable for this team when Russ is on the bench. I just don’t get why this team thinks the pick and roll with a lob threat isn’t something they need. Unless there are other imminent moves coming I’m just about done with this cheap ass team and eating at overrated restaurants with bad food.

4. dobro1229

Trae Young is no lightweight. He’s damn good and will run the P&R well with Clint. That’s a really good combo for the best play in basketball.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. I'm just saying I dont want all these posters acting like they hated the trade all along later on like what happened with Cp3.

#625 roslolian, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah but Harden is all-time

7. Slimfa

Slimfa Member

I hope this isn’t it. That is a lot to give up for Covington.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is confirmed that is 20 future first round picks from the Rockets to Minnesota. :)

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Morey cost the NBA 200 million, and will cost himself his job after this trade. Rebounding & size is CLEARLY not in his calculator

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Horrible trade. One of DMs worst. glad i feel asleep before it went down so I didn’t have to have nightmares about it.

edit: learning about the xtra $12 million. I’ll withhold final judgement to see what comes of that, other than LTS

#630 JayZ750, Feb 5, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I do like the Jordan Bell addition, but I really think we need to add some depth. An athletic 4/5 (I liked the idea of TT) would make this trade a + for me. Without, it’s RW/JH/EGO/RoCo/PJ with only a couple of decent bench pieces - that feels like a 2nd round bounce to me.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's the coach we have Morey is actually doing a great job compromising between Tillman and MDA.

As far as rebounding and size goes we still got Hartenstein and Tyson Chandler on the roster the thing is MDA doesnt want to play 7 footers he likes midgets like PJ Tucker. At least now Morey got him two more midgets in Jordan Bell and Roco so MDA can play all the small ball he wants. If he fails again no excuses MDA should be gone.

raining threes, Gray_Jay and JW86 like this.
  13. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

If we even make it to vfc the Lakers they will dismantle us down low

raining threes likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm.

#634 deb4rockets, Feb 5, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

How much depth are you expecting exactly?

Rw/JH/Ego/Roco/PJ+Rivers/House/Bmac/Jordan Bell/Thabo that's 10 rotation worthy players already. Even if you add more depth they are gonna rot in the bench alongside Hartenstein and Tyson Chandler.

16. dobro1229

People do also realize that Covington is even worse at dribbling than Trevor Ariza right?

And do they realize we had him on the roster just a few years ago basically for free?

I see this as the price the Rockets pay for their arrogance the past few years thinking that the league was overvaluing length and versatility at the 3/4 spot. They thought for years they were just soooo slick with the D League acquisitions and the buyout market that they didn’t NEED to spend money on players like Ariza.

Now look where we are. The cost we are paying today is the cost of arrogance of this front office thinking they are just too smart to find diamonds in the rough for free. The same arrogance they had then with wings they have again at the same time with BOTH bigs and draft picks.

In the long run this team will suffer because of their arrogance thinking they are just too smart and the league over values pretty essential elements to roster building that leads to winning.

CK Johnson and daywalker02 like this.
  17. TheSource

TheSource Member

May or may not have gave up too much but this trade I’m starting to like more and more if we can add a decent center like Looney or Baynes this this roster is built to beat any team except the Lakers. The Rockets need to go on a run this second half of the season and try to contend for that 2nd or 3rd seed if they want to avoid the Lakers before the WCF. I do think we can beat the Lakers but obviously match up wise as we are currently constructed is bad for us.

raining threes likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

Exactly, people fail to realise how hard Morey’s job is at the moment. A coach who refuses to play the guy’s he’s drafted or traded for, an owner who’s in his ear, his reputation which I’m sure took a dent etc. Remember, it is us who reached out to teams about Capela - who’s injured as well - not the other way around. We had very little leverage, it is quite obvious
    to everyone.

I suggest we stop the Morey hate and see the full picture. Yes we gave up a lot, but if you fault Morey for anything, it’s maybe the 2nd round pick which is GS’s 2024 one - not likely a high one but who knows - and how much you value Covington. Tilman was unhappy, MDA was unhappy so let’s see on Thursday. Morey’s not done.

I’m not that high on Covington myself, but like roslolian says, we’re all in and MDA is getting his way so in the end it’s all on him. We’re taking big risks here, but that started with Harden and Tilman, not Morey. Just try to enjoy the ride and hope our small ball and faith in Robert pays off. And if not, then MDA will be gone hopefully and we have a better financial situation w/ Robert’s contract.

Remember we had another stretch 4 called Robert and he was pretty successful :)

D-rock, Gray_Jay and raining threes like this.
  19. dobro1229

DAntoni would play neither of those guys. He only was forced to play Capela because the P&R with Harden historically had been the Rockets best play prior to the Westbrook trade.

MDA has some sort of weird point to prove with small ball that is incredibly self defeating in the end. He’s going to end PJ’s career early with the extreme load he puts on his shoulders nightly. A guy like Baynes simply wouldn’t see the floor with MDA. There’s just no point with this weird coach who despises height in the game of Basketball.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Just devastated...