1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

he is on a one yr deal. if the thunder dont want to sign him to a multi year deal or if he wants too much money he will be gone anyway so this way they could get something for him.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

From Article

"The Rockets will move $7.5 million under the luxury tax threshold with the deal, but have been given a green light to spend over that for several of the players that are on their list to target, according to an individual with knowledge of the team’s plans. Not all of those players are centers, another individual familiar with the team’s remaining trade deadline goals said."

JW86, saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. JackLordsHair66

ahh gotcha makes sense than i didn't know his contract status. thanks

saleem and DVauthrin like this.
  4. Audioout

Audioout Member

They already committed huge money to Vucevic. He's they're future. Woj reported they are shopping him. It isn't like he's some rising star. He averages 5 pnts, 5 rebs. People will hate it but we can offer Clemons. They badly need exactly what he does.

D-rock likes this.
  5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If we use a TPE, I don't think it can be combined with a player. Also, Clemons can't be traded this season.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  6. JackLordsHair66

Bamba is a nice player but unless we can get him for nothing he's not worth that much iMO, we are still assuming Tilman has any intention of spending that 5.8 which I just don't buy at all... He has conditioned me not to believe anything he says or does at this point

icewill36 likes this.
  7. Audioout

Audioout Member

Ah, right you are about Clemons. Still, he isn't some kind of untouchable star or even close. Could just be a throw in on a 3 team trade even. Just think he can fit considering his size and 3 point shooting. Can just come off the bench to help drag out big defenders out of the paint.

8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I wish we could have got more from Capela + FRP, at least RoCo + a serviceable center like Theis.
    My concern is does the injury last year affect his athleticism? From eye test, he is not as good defensively as in 2017-2018, when he was the best wing defender in the league that year.

saleem likes this.
  9. JackLordsHair66

BTW thanls to all of you guys who are more knowledgeable about player movements/contracts/LTE cap info ... I am just a big fan but that stuff is hard for me grasp as a very mathematically challenged dude and I never dug that deep into it so thanks for not treating me like the dumb ass I am lol

harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  10. Mr. Space City

I don't see Covington being the final key to finally becoming an elite defensive team tbh.

You can bring in better defensive players, but its all for nothing if the coach doesn't prioritize defense.

11. JackLordsHair66

He is good and he can switch onto any player which is good, but Clint wasn't bad at all with that aspect of his play either unless its someone like Steph he had to guard and even then he was solid, seem to me this was all done to go full on small ball 90% of the time and open those lanes for Russ and James to exploit,,, which would be killer if the other guys on our roster were all sharp shooters ALL the time, but they all have bad slumps that tend to kill us at times. If this was the only move we make then I am super pissed because it doesn't move the needle much at all to me but then I am not Mike "Small Balls" Dantoni so ...

12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Just curious if the, if the 2nd round pick gets you Andre Igudala do you still do the deal? I say yes, but with Covington understand that it's not at all necessary.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Atlanta somehow slipped in, snatched the best player in the deal, left Brooklyn's 1st rounder and peaced out. Noone the wiser.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/

I don't think we pay the tax just for the simple reason: I don't see really anyone over the 5.8 Mil range but under the 12 mil that is that interesting. Take a look.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The idea that we’re a better team with just RoCo in and Capela out is completely laughable. It’s not even defendable, and that will QUICKLY become obvious to the minority in this thread that somehow believe otherwise.

Having someone in the Dunk spot on offense that is an actual lob threat is what enabled Harden to take it to the next level, and is critical to what we do. Not to mention that RoCo simply can’t do what Capela can do in terms of rim protection on D. He’s an amazing defender, but he’s not a center.

Will easily go down as the worst trade in Morey’s career. I seriously hope he’s just losing a step, but it seems likely that this is Tilman puking the trigger. I’m terrified for the future of our franchise. Dark days ahead.

D-rock and Asian Sensation like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You should post more often.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Nuggets did well too.

18. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Having someone in the corner instead of in the dunker's spot spreads the floor dramatically. It makes Harden that much more dangerous as a driver. Rotate to Harden's drive and leave a wide-open corner three.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Hey D-rock, congrats on getting your guy. You saw it coming months ago and provided tons of hypothetical trades. Did any or your trades come close to this one?

Also, I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere but what is your take on the trade? Do you have any ideas on who the next 12 million dollar target will be? Do you think Tilman will spend or save?

D-rock likes this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What happened to optimism on this board?

D-rock likes this.