1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[O'Connor] Sources: A three-way deal was discussed to send Robert Covington to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sogood., Feb 3, 2020.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, all of these teams have EXPIRING SALARY to make matching trades but TILMAN forced the Rockets to THROW AWAY the Rockets expiring salary WITH A FRP.

Tilman HANDCUFFING the Rockets on moves.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I haven't seen anything here that is appealing.

IMO Covington is just not very good.

Hakeemtheking and Crashlanded19 like this.
  3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Almost, again. Stop falling for this

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If this is the best deal out there, let's keep Capela, dump Nene and a 2ndRP for LTS and call it a day. Capela will be fine. He is on a multiyear deal and probably gullible enough to believe Morey when he says post-deadline that he wasn't seriously shopping him, that he talks to all the teams and the rumors are just other teams making crap up.

5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

If you didn't have hope, then why would you care about sports? Watching sports is the triumph of hope over drab common sense.

So too, our watching what the Rockets do at the trade deadline.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

If Im a betting man I dont see Clint getting traded,

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Smoke screen

We arent giving Capela for free guys

D-rock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  8. pass_to_Hakeem

Yes that’s my take too. We need to dump Capella, he has reached his peak BUT.... Covington and that’s it? No way!

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

this pretty much applies to a lot of posts that seem to want to think Covington is some savior. relax that isn't the case

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is my take too lol

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Guess we're back in the mix, this time with a 4th team included.

12. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

So... We gonna pay by creating a hole at C to limit House's minutes? It is almost guaranteed that PJ's gonna slide to the 5 full time. I'm not sure what advantage we gain with Covington if it means giving up Clint. If they get rid of Clint, I'd rather it be for something like a Brook Lopez/Bertans/Collins type. For PJ's sake, I don't think they'll go thru it unless they have another *viable* Center they are sure to acquire e.g. buyout.

fryjol7 likes this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Another, much cheaper big, would have to be picked up. Doubt OKC moves Noel, but someone like that.

Does the Knicks canning their team president make it more or less likely they'll deal before the deadline?

D-rock likes this.
  14. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I agree with you, i just don't see the front office agreeing.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The thing that scares people is that if you trade Clint we really do have a huge hole
    In the front court and need to get another piece back that can play 4/5 .

The marathon of the reg season is still going on for another couple of months . Throwing pj out there to the big bodies every night as our main and only C , is a task too dangerous imo . We need him healthy for the playoffs . Not beat to death .

If you’re shipping out Clint and picks then you need to improve depth not just shuffle it .

Covington’s extra benefit for us is that (if we get this extra piece) we can actually rest PJ for once . Right now if we have to (or if they go out for an injury) we can rest Gordon , harden , or WB. Gordon already took time off this year.

MDA won’t play Hartenstein in the regular season and even fan club members don’t trust him for the playoffs.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

well yeah and the counter is if the rockets aren't committed to playing big anyway what's even the point of CC. he's essentially wasted. I've made my stance clear on him. I think he's a good player. Fit perfectly for what the rockets were prior to this year.

But if we're going by what this team is as of now and obviously committed to the wb addition, these are the consequences that come with it. Clutch's latest podcast goes into it pretty well also

#116 YOLO, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  17. rockets13champs

18. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

We’d win the ship with that trade Jerry

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The main questions surround shooting , and then defensive capability

In this universe where we’ve decided we just HAVE to play shooters because “can’t have 2 non-shooters.” Then I’d disagree , but w/e .

Then we have to swap capela for a guy that can shoot and play his “position.”

We have (1) player than can guard 5’s in PJ . Maaaaaybe James . Well , those guys can guard post ups , even vs bigger players, well.

Covington I don’t think is as strong as either James or Pj . Both are better at stopping that type of offense .

Where we suffer defensively without Clint is preventing teams from going over the top , rim protection, and probably on the glass .

Our offense would likely be better , but we’d lack an over the top finishing element. “Vertical spacing” its been called in the past.

Unless we thing Tyson has just been chilling out and is secretly in way better shape , then we need another guy .

Jarrett Allen was mentioned , something along those lines .

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member