1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I believe and I am certain there is under reporting of deaths but at this point in time not for economic or propaganda reasons

There are too many witness accounts of people being sent away from Wuhan hospitals while having all the symptoms, after having eliminated the flu and after having a CT scan because there aren't enough test kits.

Now it has been observed that there are some patients who while having mild symptoms suddendly die from the sequalae.

It is only logical to assume- and in fact there are also witness testimonies of this- that there are deaths who haven't been included in the official accounts because they weren't confirmed with the Coronavirus prior to that.

When there aren't enough test kits to go around for the living who will test the dead?

How many are these silent deaths?
    Logically, they should't reach even half the official deaths in Hubei.
    But this assumption is with my logic and based to what I know which really amounts to nothing.

The only way to know the full story or at least the approximate story is after the epidemic is over and experts investigating.

But I have a question and I would like if there is any Chinese poster here or with knowledge of the chinese reality to answer this.

I have read in a very reliable newspaper, that there is a lack of doctors in China especially in rural areas because people are afraid to have their kids become doctors. Relatives of patients routinately attack doctors and medical staff and even stab them to death and laws to protect the medical staff would only have been implemented next month.

Is this true? I find it hard to believe and I doubted its credibility.
    Not that there aren't attacks on medics - this happens everywhere - but that it has resulted to fear of becoming a doctor in chinese society and a lack of doctors.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

Fun fact .
    Scientists have discovered so far 50 coronaviruses living on bats. So far only about 5 of them have made the jump to humans.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If one becomes vegan they will immediately cease all activity of eating live rats and bats. Thus effectively minimizing the chance of obtaining the virus.

4. malakas

malakas Member

South Korea has confirmed its 16th case of the coronavirus, reportedly involving a woman who recently returned from Thailand but had not visited China.

Looks like there may be a full blown epidemic in touristic spots in Thailand. In studies the countries more vulnerable by the outbreak were forecasted to be Thailand and Japan fwiw.

5. Buck Turgidson

If they're still eating dead rats and bats they're not very ****ing vegan now, are they?

TexasTofu likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

7. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

We believe you. You don't have to post the article, please :D

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, can't expect a country fully dependent on tourism to be quarantined like that.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, not so fun for us humans.o_O

malakas likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't understand this too well so bare with me. But how does this not go to every country in city in the world now? Has something comparable to this happened in the last 50 years?

11. elrond

elrond Member

It's probably something that is underreported in the west, but China has been undergoing a serious swine flu crisis for awhile now, and pork prices have skyrocketed. There has also been a recent outbreak of bird flu in the same general wuhan area, so alternate sources of protein aren't doing too well recently. I've read that this has led to a resurgence in dog meat in some areas, and I guess other sources of meat as well.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

It is certain that it will become a pandemic unless there are measures taken to limit population mobility. Travel bans.
    Then you have to limit human to human transmission so the authorities will also begin telling us in the West to use alcohol swipes and wash our hands.
    But the epidemic here will come weeks after the other Chinese cities.
    Also the new test kits that are more sensitive will have to be mass produced and become readily available to every hospital so every infected will be easily detected, quarantined and their contacts be put under immediate isolation.

The good news is that when the weather becomes very hot and there are proper hygienic measures taken there is high chance to contain it and even eradicate it.

13. malakas

malakas Member

No matter that the pork industry of China is destroyed, bat meat is and was extremely rare delicasy and only available to the ultra rich.
    The poor who have been affected by the prices cannot afford bat soups.

But they sure can afford live donkey.
    In which case the blame isn't on the donkey itself but in the way it is butchered in filthy markets part by part while ALIVE and served "fresh" with blood still dripping.

This has nothing to do with swine flu and everything to do with a perverted custom ,that is ripe soil for breeding diseases and epidemics.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I haven’t read through the thread yet, but wanted to chime in...

I spoke to a really good friend last night that has worked in Shanghai for the last ten years. She is actually from Taiwan and that played into our conversation a little.

So, very early on she told me she could tell that the Chinese government was not being honest about what is going on so she got out and went to Taiwan. She says it’s far worse than is being reported. She was literally in a panic, so she was very pleased she was able to get out. This was in the middle of Chinese New Year so it was a little easier to tell people to stay home and/or away from crowds.

My friends’s company has postponed work in Shanghai until February 10th. She has decided that she is most likely not going back at all. She feels like the virus won’t peak until March or April. Everyone is out of food, stores are empty. Everyone is sold out of masks and most people are in a panic.

In Taiwan all flights in and out of China have been suspended. She feels like Taiwan is much better at handling these types of things and precautions are/were taken on very early.

While speaking to her there was sheer terror in her voice as she was telling me that she thought she would not be able to get out of China even being as early as it was. She says she just knew something was wrong and she has seen China try to control the media many times in order to make it look like they have a handle on things.

I have to be honest, it was the first time that things got a little scary for me when hearing her speak. She was adamant that to say this is a nightmare is an understatement.

#414 mikol13, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Invisible Fan, Nook, King1 and 3 others like this.
  15. shorerider

shorerider Member

Hehe, yeah I just realized that after I re-read my post...

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

“Those not showing symptoms have been told to stay at home for 28 days.”

17. malakas

malakas Member

28 days? They use the same "experts" advice who said the virus was a bioweapon?:rolleyes:

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun they have quicker access to cures if it is indeed coming from a lab?

19. malakas

malakas Member

Nah these labs don't make HIV or flu drugs.
    It is absurd, unscientific and inhumane to double the quarantine time when it is well above the established incubation time.

20. malakas

malakas Member

#420 malakas, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    CCity Zero, mikol13 and Nook like this.