1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The 20 year character assassination made it easier to believe all of these things were shady.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Washington Post reporting Bernie's campaign has already worked on a list of executive orders he would issue immediately after taking office if he were elected:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-preparing-dozens-potential-executive-orders/

excerpt:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is considering dozens of executive orders he could unilaterally enact on a wide range of domestic policy issues if elected president, including immigration, the environment and prescription drugs, according to two people familiar with the campaign’s planning and an internal document reviewed by The Washington Post.

Sanders has risen in national and early-state polling in the final days before Monday’s Iowa caucuses, the first contest in the Democratic presidential primary, which has fueled concerns among some party insiders that he could win the nomination.

Aides have presented Sanders with a list of possible executive actions, including more than a dozen options for reversing President Trump’s immigration policy, such as lifting the cap on the number of refugees accepted into the United States and immediately halting border wall construction. Another option is the reinstatement of an Obama-era program that granted legal status to undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.

The document reviewed by The Washington Post shows how the Sanders campaign has already begun extensive planning for how the senator would lead the country in his first days as president if he won the Democratic nomination and defeated Trump in November. Many of the proposals Sanders has floated on the campaign trail do not have support from congressional Republicans and are opposed by some Democrats, so a willingness to move forward without congressional approval could determine whether many of his policies are enacted.

Nook and joshuaao like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

No doubt but I think having a strong campaign where you make a strong stand in an environment where anti establishment was en vogue is what ultimately sunk her.

I still don’t think Bernie would have been better in 2016 as far as winning the election as he comes with his own pros and cons. Progressives show up but moderates staying home seems like treading water.

4. dmoneybangbang

This is the only way I see him getting his agenda pushed through in the first two years.

Nook, joshuaao and Corrosion like this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Glad to see they are doing their homework. Kind of the opposite of Trump who basically didn't even know the address of the White House until after the election.

#1205 DonnyMost, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  6. Major

Major Member

Or maybe you are just wrong.

Nook likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Every one of these would be challenged in courts for years, just as Trump's executive orders have been - except with the right-leaning Supreme Court making the final decisions. And the problem with EO's is that the next President can just reverse them. It's why Obama insisted, for example, at repealing DADT through Congress and not just by EO as everyone was asking for.

Nook, dmoneybangbang and joshuaao like this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, yall were wrong in 2016, now I may get a chance to join you in being wrong if Bernie wins the primary in 2020. Granted he is not close to my top choice, but We'll see.

#1208 DonnyMost, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I don't mean being wrong about Bernie. I mean being wrong about the reasons Hillary lost. You keep saying you know why she lost and everyone else is wrong and asking for proof, but you've not provided any evidence to support your views either.

jiggyfly, joshuaao and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it.

Anyone else have anything like this go ahead and respond with a link for me if you'd be so kind.

Interesting to hear him, as one of the major candidates, touch on different issues.

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Good point. Details...details...details...

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

JRE podcast

This is not him touching on different issues, but this was one of my favorite videos that I came across when originally looking into him campaign.

HTM likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Appreciated. I think I saw that JRE podcast... maybe from this thread awhile back... I enjoy the Vice/Joe Rogan kind of format... good stuff.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Remember when Trump tried to reverse Obama's DACA EO and the courts rejected the reversal / upheld the original EO ?

Seems that EO's can't simply be erased by the next POTUS.

15. Nook

Nook Member

There are moderates that have no love for Donald Trump but also cannot stomach voting for an extremist like Bernie Sanders.

Enough to swing the election? I don’t know...

However Trump versus Sanders would be a nasty nasty GE because of cult of personality.

RayRay10, dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

What is possible (although not likely) would be Sanders losing the popular vote by being trounced in the South but wins the Electoral College by carrying Pennsylvania and Michigan and Wisconsin.

jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Can a Dem win Penn. when they are talking about a fracking ban and there being a large number of jobs reliant upon it there ?
    Really think any of the Dems have a hard time winning there ....

Assuming the above , if Trump wins Florida and NC along with Penn - All states he won in 20116 he only has to win one of Wis. Mich. and AZ. to get over 270 - again , all states he carried in 2016.

I really think the Dems are fighting an uphill battle .... and no nominee is going to solidify the vote.
    Bernie Bros will stay home in large numbers if he doesn't win the nom and many moderates will be turned off if he does win the nom.
    The Dems are really in a difficult situation here.

Looking at the electoral map , I think its a pretty safe bet right now that Trump is re-elected .... barring some new catastrophic event.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Trump is underwater in Mich, Wis and Penn and he won those 3 states by only 80,000 votes there is no way I think he has a good chance to win those states again.

Arizona, North Carolina and GA have a as good a chance to flip blue going by the 2018 results.

It will be interesting if Berny gets the nomination, I think the idea that people will come out to vote in droves because of fear is way overblown and there is definitely a Trump Berny overlap.

He definitely will drive enthusiasm and i think Trump himself will still drive democratic turnout, my main issue is with down ballet and in the next midterm election he will definitely have people turning out to check him in congress and they will all not be republicans.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We'll just have to see how it plays out .... It could go either way.

Again in Pennsylvania , a fracking ban would be very damaging to a candidate as there.

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I definitely agree with the fracking issue.

If Bernie gets the nomination I bet he starts moderating some of his positions.

Can't wait to see the Bernie bros response.

dmoneybangbang likes this.