1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Actually, I think it you change them frequently, they can really help keep the wearer from infecting other people. But yes, otherwise agree with you in the direction you're assuming.

A friend of mine from China with lots of family in the Wuhan area says: (and sorry if this is a repeat, but I didn't see the info posted)
    • Mayor of Wuhan City not only fired but arrested and jailed for negligence at the start of the outbreak (and suppressing info, a la Chernobyl type of thing).
    • 300,000 people were able to leave the city between announcement of quarantine and actual quarantine. So it's like a giant geographic sneeze of the possibly-infected.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So the New Mayor is a tad better.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

If the Wuhan mayor isn't fired and/or jailed now, he most certainly will be when this whole mess is done. One thing most people don't understand is that there is a big difference between local/regional governments in China vs the central government. The central govt doesn't mess around when it comes to getting things done. What other country could mobilize and build two hospitals, and quarantine multiple massive cities during what is equivalent to Thanksgiving + Christmas? The local Wuhan government certainly dropped the ball on this outbreak and the central govt is doing the best job they can to clean up this terrible situation. Another thing that most Americans don't understand is scale. China's population is over 4X that of ours, and their land mass is almost 30% larger than the contiguous US (lower 48 states). The CCP is far from perfect but it's also a completely different ball game in terms of scope of governance. What works here, doesn't necessarily apply there, just like what works in Scandanavia won't necessarily work here.

BenjaminChen and malakas like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

6. malakas

malakas Member

The CCP has started a nation wide propaganda campaign in all their state controlled media .

They cut the host shows and soap operas in television channels, and are having many hours of programs every day telling people to wash their hands, wear masks and not to eat wild animals.
    On the state controlled internet, half the stories are about the heroes doctors and nurses and the other half is about people not wearing masks thrown out of buses and trains by police and critisizing grandmas who don't wash their hands and how to teach your kids about hygiene.

There's a silver lining in every dark cloud.
    What can normally take years and decades to learn can be learned in a few months under a climate of fear and panic.

7. malakas

malakas Member

btw ..forget the mayor of Wuhan.
    President Xi himself is facing immense critisism and pressure (for china's standards).

The state had to "correct" itself and say that they didn't arrest and lock up people who spread rumours about the virus online but only "critisized and educated" them.
    For CCP standards that they couldn't control the online and public reactions even with their army of trolls..that's immense public anger.

8. malakas

malakas Member

The new wuhan cases jumped "little" while the deaths are rising in the same steady rate.

It looks like the backlog is almost done with.

They had to send the test kits for confirmation to Beijing which took about 4-5 days. Even with more labs involved in the latter days there was a big backlog of cases to be confirmed. That's why the confirmed cases were so artificially low.

Now it is time to start finding the people that the Wuhan hospitals sent away even when they had all the symptoms but they weren't on their deathbed.

They say that the new estimation of mortality rate is 2%.

joshuaao and saitou like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

I’m sorry, but did I just see somebody dip what looked like a living mouse in some broth and then eat it? What is with this zombie from the Walking Dead diet they got over there?

Nook, malakas and KingCheetah like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They need to try harder.

Rashmon and Nook like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m really having a hard time understanding this. Somebody explain this fckery to me.

bats...eating living mice like it’s a 10 piece nuggets...wtf

Is road kill a delicacy in China as well?

China is gonna unleash a new age bubonic plague on the world one day

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I work in healthcare in WA state and all caregivers with patient contact are being fitted for N95 masks.

Nook and malakas like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Living rats isn't the only way to taste this delicasy.
    There also dried rats.

The vendor explained that rat meat was good for the kidneys, which in turn promotes hair growth - a popular belief in traditional Chinese medicine.

"Just like black beans, they're good for growing black hair," said the man, who was charging 60 yuan ($9.3) a bundle.

Though the vendor explained he had caught the rats with mousetraps, passers-by weren't buying it.

"What if they were sewer rats," said one local man.

"You only know if it's good if you try it, especially the tail,"

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1086363.shtml

Nook likes this.
  14. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

Chinese don't eat bats.
    Big bats don't live in most areas in China.Chinese bats are mostly sparrow sized,smaller than mouse.

heypartner and malakas like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In English.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Looks like their version of Black Friday.

Nook likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

Yeah they don't even eat any bats much bigger than a sparrow in most regions... so how are sparrow sized bats supposed to create viruses again?

Nook likes this.
  18. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

Sorry for my bad English.
    I already tried my best.

Nook and heypartner like this.
  19. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Now I get it