1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman can you please double retire 24 for Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its not necessary for the Rockets to do it because 24 is already retired and for the right reasons for a hall of fame 2 time MVP with the organization player.

If the Mavs choose to do it more power to them, but its a totally different circumstance for their team since the number is still available.

I hope what I said didn't sound cold hearted so soon after his death because that isn't how I meant for it to sound at all.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Kobe was a great player ..... but what did he ever do to be mentioned in the same breath as Jackie Robinson ?

Be black ?
    Be a great player ?

That's where the comparison ends.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Totally agree and would be disrespectful to Moses Malone and his family. Moses also died unexpectedly as well. GOD bless Kobe's family and he deserves the recognition, but let's not forget those who came before him as well. Also very great men as well!

4. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Absolutely 120% disagree with this. I thought it was dumb for Cuban to do it. I also disagree with making him the "logo" the logo is fine how it is. It's not supposed to be based on any one player.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

See this ****?

Change the logo!
    Every team must retire his number!
    Name the ASG trophy after him!
    Name this award after him!
    Why stop there?
    Re-name it the Kobe Bryant championship trophy!
    Re-name it the Kobe Basketball Association!
    Every player must wear Nike Kobe's!

NO!
    STOP!

CALI_MOST_WANTD and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Thank you for your logical and level headed post.

Now go in a corner because the crazies will come after you and you need to hide.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also... While we're at it, let's retire Tmac's number, SF3's number the number 44 for Obama, 3 again for Chris Paul, and if we still have room for another number to be retired let's throw in 69, because, well, it's a nice number.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why does Kobe deserve more honor than a host of other basketball legends?

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most of these Kobe honoring acts are knee-jerk overreaction to the shock of his sudden death. The shock will wear out in time. A retired jersey, on the other hand, is permanent. People will look at those retired Kobe jersey in non-Lakers arenas amazed by how nonsensical it is.

J.R. likes this.
  10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Kobe was a relentless and fearless player. I hated him as a player because the Lakers beat the Rockets too often and he had a passion for constantly improving and pushing while our version, T-Mac, lost his desire to try right in front of our eyes. Kobe was an ambassador for the game and loved by fans worldwide.
    What happened was tragic in every sense of the word. I can't believe that he was only 41 (it feels like he had been in the league for forever) and that he has a 5 month old daughter. Truly terrible and awful.

With that said, his career is not even close to comparable to Jackie Robinson's.
    Kobe deserves to be honored and respected. Tribute to him, have a large section at the basketball hall of fame and things like that. First ballot hall of famer, no doubt.

But no.. his jersey should not be retired by every team in the league.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to retire Nick Anderson’s Number
    And John Starks