1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tilman can you please double retire 24 for Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. AndtheRockets

AndtheRockets Member

Lol, how bout no. And you should move to LA

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

She had bruises around her neck. A grand jury found enough to indict. He paid her off. Obviously he wasn't convicted, but there's enough for me to form my own opinion - he was a rapist.

My opinion is admittedly personal to myself, as all opinions are. Me personally, I've never choked a woman, cheated on my wife, been indicted for rape, or paid someone for their silence, so I guess I have trouble seeing it your way.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't like the rape debate and feel he should be honoured as an athlete first and foremost, but what the f is up with some people here coming up with the "I bet you weren't perfect either or "everyone did some crazy sh** in college" crap.

We are talking about rape, one of the worst crimes possible that victims never really overcome and often have severe psychological issues with til death.

And you guys seriously act like this isn't a big deal and that everyone being vocal about isn't an "angel". This makes it sound like we have several closet rapists here that want to convince themselves of not having committed a horrible crime, it's shocking really.

malakas, CCity Zero and VooDooPope like this.
  4. likestohypeguy

Retire it 24 times!

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Nope, no thanks.

Didn't care for him on or off the court when he played. No reason for the Rockets to retire anything for an opponent.

charlieaustin and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  6. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Can we just stop with dumb ideas?

charlieaustin and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

You're saying a woman will never consent to rough sex? Dude, you need to get out more.

And believe me, I'm still not saying saying Kobe didn't rape her. What I'm saying is that believing he did is as silly as believing he didn't, since only two people in the world knew the truth (only one now) and both had issues with their statements and/or evidence.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Apparently the prosecutors and all of the members of the grand jury needed to get out more too since they obviously thought the bruising was excessive. Maybe some people should stay in more instead?

Anyway, you say only two people knew the truth, but one was cheating on his wife at best so I'm not going to believe his truth thank you very much. You want the real truth? If Kobe wasn't filthy rich he would've been locked up.

malakas likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

The charges were brought because a woman claimed she was raped. And yes, the bruises no doubt raised suspicions, as they should. Those two things alone don't mean a rape occurred.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "never believe the gold-digger" types. On the contrary, I'm all in favor of giving careful consideration to anyone who claims to have been a victim of sexual violence, and even in this case won't deny that a rape may have taken place. But we don't know that for a fact.

One was cheating on his wife, but the other admitted to some degree of consensual intimate contact with a married man at her place of work, so let's not get too high and mighty here. Anyway, I'm done with arguing the fine points of this case, as they're available online for anyone who wants to know more (including Kobe's statements to police).

What I will say, though, is that it seems that people fall into two camps regarding this incident: Those who like Kobe are inclined to believe there's more to this story than a rape, while those who dislike him can't see any other possibility. The facts, on the other hand, are inconclusive enough that the authorities dropped the charges when the victim refused to testify because there simply wasn't enough evidence to proceed without her.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I never liked Kobe, but I figured out of respect for all of the people passing I haven't posted anything about it.

The Kobe tributes have officially reached eye roll territory. Changing the logo and league wide jersey retirements, it's stupid. He wasn't an active player, he didn't break some cultural milestone, nor was he the saint he's being made out to be. His death, while tragic, doesn't change that. Had Garnett, Duncan or some other relatively young but equally all time great player died tragically none of this would be suggested. He was over hyped in the league, and now he's over hyped in death.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's funny is how hot and bothered someone else seemingly gets for someone else's decision to show respect to him in their own way. Which in no way is relative to you. that tells you a lot about where people heads are at in this day and age. a lot of people don't know how to stay in their own lane

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't change people's minds. If they think someone is guilty , they are .
    Which is their right.

However, it's obnoxious to spam a thread for which the topic is for something else.

topfive likes this.
  14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

In the distant future, when Cuban sells the team.... do you think the new owner will "unretire" 24 and give out to another player? I could see this happening especially when double digit numbers will become more harder to come by with many more players on the team being inducted into their HOF.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Cuban won't sell the team.
    He bought the team cause he's from Dallas and he's already a billionaire.

Don't think because Les Alexander a junk bond seller sold the Rockets for profit is the norm. It's not.

@Jontro @CometsWin @Reeko

Jontro likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think it'd be looked upon fondly, should a new owner do this. And whatever basketball player is slated to wear #24, probably wouldn't, knowing what the number was retired for.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Cuban was born in Pittsburgh and went to Indiana University. He bought the Mavericks because the douchebaggery that goes on in DFW was too strong for him to resist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Cuban's not selling the team.

I'll be you that Les Alexander sold the Rockets cause he was a greedy b*stard.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Of course he isn't--he has a cashcow in Luka for the foreseeable future.

I'm just pointing out that Cubes is just like a lot of the DFW DBs--transplanted, not homegrown.

tinman likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Cuban LOVES BEING THE OWNER OF HIS TEAM.

Les LOVES BEING A BILLIONAIRE AFTER SELLING THE ROCKETS.

CCity Zero and steddinotayto like this.