1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

TMZ: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Let it all out chief.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t know who the lady is but you have to be a complete dumbass to think she said nig$&r. I mean common sense just has to prevail sometimes. That said, complete dumbasses also tend to make firing decisions over social media so it wouldn’t surprise me either to see her lose her job.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Off with their heads!!!!!!!!

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

Kobe Bryant released the statement himself. He was not required to do so by the state nor was he required to do so by the victim.

No it wasn’t an agreed upon statement. The civil suit had just been filed and did not settle for nearly another year. It ultimately settled for over 2.5 million dollars.

In all my years as a prosecutor and all my years as an attorney I have never seen someone accused apologize for their actions and state they believe the victim honestly believes she was raped.

malakas and tmoney1101 like this.
  7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

You are wrong. Bryant was required by the victim IF he wanted the charges dismissed.

"The woman had filed a separate civil suit against Bryant, and had agreed to dismissal of the sexual-assault charge against him provided the athlete issued the following apology to his accuser, which was read in court by Bryant’s attorney:"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-...ce-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Nook

Nook Member

The article is wrong. How do I know? The victim doesn’t make the decision to drop the charges. The decision to drop the charges is made by the prosecutor. Indeed the case wasn’t dismissed by the defendant either but by the Judge.

Here is a story discussing it in further detail as well. If you have someone from the Prosecutors office stating he was forced to release a statement let me know.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He said he believed the encounter was consensual at the time, but upon reflection and after hearing her testimony he is willing to accept that she saw the situation differently and was not giving consent.

Is that really so out of the ordinary? You could say he should have recognized how she was feeling and immediately stopped, and you're right he should have. But there is a gray zone between an innocent mistake about whether the encounter was consensual and criminal intent to commit rape.

11. jayland

jayland Member

There’s a difference between a civil suit and a criminal one. Criminal suit is prosecutor charging someone with a crime. Lose = go to prison. Civil suit is victim suing for money. Lose = pay victim.

Remember OJ Simpson won his criminal suit for murder but lost civil one.

arabrocket and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Related to the "Did she say the n-word topic", this video shows how easy it is for us to mistake the sounds that we hear:

If you are especially primed to hear the n-word, for whatever reason (maybe just to rationalize your initial reaction), that's what it will sound like to you.

Nook likes this.
  14. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He was my late mother's favorite player and I admired him as a great man who helped others and made positive changes when he didn't have to.

Some things are bigger than basketball, prayers to his and everyone involved's families as well as the fans. Rest In Peace

Little Bit likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

The pilot was a 20 year veteran pilot.
    sad

16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

He stated he was sorry for his actions and said that he believed that the victim did not believe it was consensual.

That was the legal definition of rape in Colorado.

Also the physical injuries she had were consistent with non consensual sex.... the ripping and tearing and the bruising on her neck.

She had inconsistencies in her story but Bryant had far more. Also the physical evidence was consistent with her version.

The defense attempted to portray her as a w**** that had sex with a great number of men. The defense made a big deal that a pair of the victims underwear had semen and a Caucasian pubic hair in it.

What wasn’t discussed is that the victim took the underwear she wore with Bryant to the police station in a bag. The underwear she was wearing when she entered the station were old underwear and she had told the investigators that she had regular sexual relations with her boyfriend... and the pubic hair was likely from her boyfriend. The underwear she brought did have Bryant’s semen on it.

The defense also tried to argue that someone other than Bryant must have had extremely rough sex with her to cause the bleeding and she decided to blame Bryant. That defense broke down because the shirt Bryant wore had blood splatters from the victim on it.

Both parties were relatively young, and their are inconsistencies in both stories. This isn’t entirely unusual in an investigation. However the inconsistencies in Bryant’s version are far more common. For example he seems to go back and forth on whether the victim asked him to stop. He also denies having sex with her, denies penetration, denies forcing her to bend over with his hands... then later in the same interview says both happened.

I hope that answers your questions.

malakas and FrontRunner like this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He had his day in court. It's all over now.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. Nook

Nook Member

I am well aware, I have done it for a living for a couple decades. The civil suit did not settle until almost a year after Bryant issued his apology so we can rule out any apology being related to the civil suit.

From a criminal suit, there is no way the prosecutors office would want Bryant to issue a statement saying he believes the victim did not believe it was consensual sex. The reason being that it is the primary legal element in rape and it makes the prosecutor look really bad.

I have seen a few cases where a defendant will issue a general apology (though rare) but never one like the one Bryant released.

If someone has a statement from the prosecutor or the attorney for the victim stating that was the agreement I would accept it. I just haven’t seen it.

I can tell you that I would not have my client agree to issue such a statement of incrimination. The victim was not in a condition to testify. She had her doctors strongly suggesting against it and the victim herself said she didn’t want to relive the matter on the stand or deal with even more death threats. Once she said she wasn’t going to testify the prosecution had little left.

malakas likes this.