1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMZ: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jan 26, 2020.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Seek professional help brother. I think you might need it in the long run.

RustyHarden, LabMouse and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would only take the chopper off Isla Nublar with all the Dinosaurs, that all.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Enemysquad

Enemysquad Member

Damn this is crazy, rip Kobe....hopefully this gives the Astros a break cause the sports world was all over bashing the stros.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

This thread has really opened my eyes about a few well known posters on this board.

A man and his 13yr old daughter tragically lost their lives yesterday along with seven other souls and there are people on here who are essentially attempting to re-try him for a case that was dropped over a decade ago.

Praying heavily for the Bryant family and everyone else involved.

Some of y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Richie_Rich, pahiyas, Sajan and 17 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Getting a fine or losing the license after the fact isn't very effective. The damage is already done.
    There should be a way to prohibit someone from flying under bad weather conditions in the first place.

Maybe when private planes and helicopters become more common the rule will change.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Devastating to say the least. My heart and prayers go out to all those involved. So sad...

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm still sad. His daughter, the other girl and her mom and dad. Man, that's just crushing.

My friend in LA said his whole office is in the dumps; like a black cloud over LA. I can even feel it here in Houston in my office! People are sad.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My mom was sexually abused as a child. I don't know who her abuser was, but quite frankly, if he died today, I wouldn't give a rats ass. However, if people were out there calling him a good man because he actually changed the world, etc etc, I think I would just let it be. I don't associate with any religion, I have no belief in a higher being, but perhaps I am just extremely forgiving. At the same time, my mom also committed a horrible act later on in her life that caused my family to be split (I was raised by grandma and uncle) and I was able to forgive her for that.

I guess, some people are just forgiving. I don't know.

I don't think you are wrong for saying what you believe, but I do believe you are wrong in bringing it up while people are grieving. Perhaps creating a thread in the D&D where you guys can go head to head on this **** would be more appropriate. I am not caught in the notion "there is a time and place for everything", quite frankly, you can discuss this **** whenever, but this discussion should be taken to another thread and there you guys can go apeshit saying what you need to say.

I know, I know, message forums, no one cares who is who, blah blah. I believe our community is a lot more closer than that, which is probably why this has become personal.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's about as uncomfortable a question as asking if you've ever had sex with a drunk person since being drunk means you are not able to give full consent. Would you say that it's wrong to ask the question?

The question shows that sexual relationships are very personal and the lines are very very thin

RustyHarden and JW86 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not delving into this more, but there could be thousands or millions of males, just having problems breathing now, if that is a crime.

I think, most females at least thought of liking the counterpart when they consent to heavy drinking.

But on the other hand, females do not digest alcohol well.

RustyHarden likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What statement? Can you provide a source? What you cited sounded like a statement he was required to make as part of a settlement.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Life stories about the other 7 deceased persons are coming out. It's one thing to go when you are 80, 90 years old, but quite different when your life is just starting.

Among some of the great posts yesterday, I will remember this (paraphrasing) -- Don't trip on getting old, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you for sharing ElPigto.

I am always amazed and in awe when I see people who even having gone through unimaginable hardships , can keep forgiving and keep their heart pure and clear of hatred but instead filled with love.
    You are a great person.
    God bless you

15. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Looking at the Van Nuys Airport past weather metars, the conditions were not at the point where flights should be grounded. The weather was 2 1/2 miles visibility ceilings overcast 1,100 feet. Perfectly easy and doable for a proficient instrument-rated pilot. It was just a bad day to go try to go VFR. When I flight instructed and my rule of thumb, if I have to consider using special VFR or the weather is lower the standard VFR minimums. I'm going to file an IFR flight plan and plan to operate under IFR. I taught this to my students as well when dealing with risk management in regard to their planned flight.

Weather conditions that usually stop most flights will be bad winter storms and thunderstorms. or really low visibility (lower than1/2 visibility). 1/2 mile visibility at the estimated time of arrival is actually the lowest visibility my airline will allow us to dispatch for before canceling the flight unless the airport as a Category II certified Instrument Landing System (which allows us to go down to 1/4 mile visibility).

16. malakas

malakas Member

One last question ..you said that IFR is the hardest skill to get and the hardest skill to maintain.
    This maintenance of skills and keeping up to date...is it left up to the discretion of the pilot alone?

Or does that license requires you to take frequent repeated tests to keep it?

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I believe that humans do make mistakes and I do believe many of them do wish it could be put behind them. I definitely understand the impact that this one act must have had on that young girl's life, believe me, I can see how it screwed with my mom forever, but at the same time, there are individuals that are truly sorry for what they did. It doesn't mean they shouldn't serve their time, because justice should definitely be served, but I do believe that these individuals can find a better life and actually become better people.

I never knew Kobe on a personal level, I do not know anybody that did. The only things I could see is that despite that ugly mark in his past, he rose above that and became what appeared to be a good father and a good husband. Maybe perception was altered since he had the means and ability to fool the world into believing he became a better man, but I guess you can call me fooled. Either way, I guess for me, I honor his basketball legacy, because as a fan of the game, that's all I care about. I personally never really care about the players life outside of basketball. If I ever meet them, great, but if not, I wouldn't go out of my way to even get a picture or an autograph.

I feel for his family, for his girl that will not get to live the rest of her life and for the others that also tragically died in this incident.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont want to make a scene at the wake, so completely separate from the issue of Kobe Bryant, the way some of you equivocate, rationalize, and minimize rape and sexual assault makes me glad I don't have a daughter.

And I for one am perfectly clear of conscience in saying I've never had sex with someone who didn't give or was incapable of giving consent.

19. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

It's legit amazing how disturbed some people are. I can't even fathom how her verbal flub detoured this thread. Along with the other ****. Eyes open. Mind blown.

20. swakid8

swakid8 Member

It's not hard to maintain the currency, but it is difficult to stay proficient.

Instrument currency requirements to operate as PIC under an Instrument Flight Rules flight plan, within the first 6 months a pilot must have conducted

6 Instrument Approaches (Instrument Approaches an electronic guidance system or GPS that has the ability to guide the plane to the runway). In order for an Instrument Approaches to count, pilots will have to be under hood (a device a pilot wears to keep him looking outside, this also requires a safety pilot looking outside for other traffic) or be in IMC until the final approach fix (final waypoint of the approach until either the runway or the point the pilot required to execute a missed approach).

1 - Holding pattern

1 - Tracked a navigational course off of a Navigational Aid

If he meets the above requirements the clock resets. If he unable to meet this within the first 6 months, then the pilot required to have a safety pilot to meet the same requirements above

6 - Instrument approaches
    1 - Holding Pattern
    1 - Tracked a navigational course off of a Navigational Aid

If the pilot meets the requirements above the clock resets. If unable to meet the requirements within the 12 months, the pilot has to meet with a Certified Flight Instructor who was their Instructor Instrument Rating to do an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPCs). Which requires the pilot to perform the same tasks as would have for their Instrument Checkride with a Designated Pilot Examiner. Upon successful completion of an IPC, then clock resets and IPC endorsement is entered into the pilot's logbook.

As an airline pilot, I go into Recurrent Simulator training once every year and do quarterly recurrently ground school at home. I am also more proficient in the IFR environment considering we operate daily in it.

I've seen guys who have seen a lick of IMC who came to me for IPC and their skills were really rusty. They completed the IPC successfully but I urged them to go up with instructor or safety pilot to fine-tune their instrument skills or if they have to fly IMC, then have a qualified pilot on board to be an extra set of eyes.