1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMZ: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

This'll surprise you---it certainly did me when I looked it up---but general aviation has about a 25 percent worse fatal accident rate per flight hour than rotary-wing flight in general. About 1 vs 0.7 per 100k flight hours. Now, big iron commercial aviation is much safer, and I suspect that commercial rotary craft operation is rolled into that accident rate, but still.

That said, when the weather is inclement and foggy, as it allegedly was for Bryant's flight, you'd better damned well know how to fly IFR. And no, IFR does not mean 'I Follow Roads'. Especially in heightened terrain. Helos can auto rotate with engine failure, but doing it with mountains and trees everywhere is no bueno.

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah you know this is b.s. What she said was clear as day & sounded nothing like Knicks or Lakers. But it's the world we live in, racism is alot more covert these days

Bandwagoner likes this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I wasn't a Kobe fan, though I respected his incredible drive and competitiveness, but this is the first celebrity death I can remember that really shocked/saddened me in a different way. I guess it was because he was so present (and dominant) in the sport I watched the most. Then I cried when they reported his daughter was killed too.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Small planes, helicopters, even if I was rich I don’t know if I would ride them. It was extremely foggy in LA this morning too. Have to think that that contributed.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

6. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I'm not saying they will be fine because of the money. Also I wanted to explain myself, but hearing now his daughter passed away too, that changes a lot. When someone who has entire life in front of him/her dies...that's an entirely different matter. No words.

Nook likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Need to get your ears checked man, that sounded nothing like N word at all

Bearded13 and Lawlruschang like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why? This is not a conference of grammar professors.

You can tune me out anytime, there is no reason to be rude.

I know folks do not see eye to eye about almost everything nowadays, this should be one of the more miniscule problems.

I see tons of colloquilisms here all around.
    A habit is a habit.
    No need to reply.

Nook and malakas like this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why was he doing a bunch of loops and stuff to avoid air traffic. The pilot was flying Special VFR Clearance so bad weather and pilot error is likely cause here.

Or at least that's what they want you to think. My guess is someone took him out.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I’m sure she just decided that today is the day to put her racism on full display and call Kobe the n-word while discussing his death on national TV...I guess today is the day she decided she gave no fcks

11. JackLordsHair66

Man this was exceptionally well said !!! Fantastically put !!! Watching all the continuing coverage is really overwhelming... I am a huge music fan and losing Neil Peart (of the band Rush) a few weeks ago was truly devastating for me in much the same way this is for basketball fans all around the world. Too young, too soon, and I can't even begin to imagine the pain his wife and remaining daughters must feel losing their dad and oldest sister via the same tragedy ... Sadly, there are several other families suffering just as much pain with the loss of their own family members who also perished in this accident, just an awful day in every possible way.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was suppose to go out and do things today, take my daughter and son for basketball practice. Instead, Im glued here in my sofa with red eyes.

daywalker02 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I usually don't get too choked up about celebrity or athlete deaths, because I don't know them, personally. I give my condolences to their loved ones and keep it, pushing.

I was never, if ever a Kobe or Lakers fan and enjoyed them losing (except his last game), opposite of my father, but I'm genuinely bummed out over Kobe's passing, his daughter, and the other people on the helicopter.

I'm genuinely sad over it.

I firmly he was an exceptional man and person, on and off the court. He had his flaws, like everyone else, but he accomplished and embodied the spirit of a "Black Mamba."

BigM and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

3 daughters without a dad and sister this is just awful and I’m just in a state of shock. Not to mention his wife without her husband and her daughter.

just terrible terrible news.[/QUOTE]
    Let me ask you a dumb question: if visibility from a heli standpoint is bad, wouldn't it be safer just to try to land in a vertical fashion, as close to the ground as possible?

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Especially if he was the pilot, as I'm reading may have been the case. Helicopter flying is challenging, but OK, Bryant's been doing this forever, no reason he couldn't have picked up the skill with his money and drive. IFR helicopter flying is a whole level of difficulty on top of that. It's tougher to jump to IFR from VFR in a helicopter than the equivalent leap in a fixed wing airplane, and plenty of fixed wing pilots kill themselves flying inadvertently into IMC.

Tragic, but you really have to know your limitations in aviation.

baller4life315 likes this.
  16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How do you know what's vertical, if you can't read your instruments, and everything is white around you?

Until it isn't.

Rock Block and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. JackLordsHair66

I sure don't hear the N word there, sounded like she was going to say something and innocently fumbled the word Lakers into "Nakers" when trying to transition to a contributor.... What is this FOX news now on here ??? too much of this bullshit going on in the world these days ...

18. conquistador#11

The players reactions especially Doc Rivers' have given me the feels. =(
    Punch in the gut. you don't have be a kobe fan to feel the loss with his daughter on board.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shocking and tragic. Like many of you I wasn't a Kobe fan because of how much he tormented the Rockets but just horrible for him at 41 and even worse for Gianni at only 13. Feel horrible for the two coaches from Orange County College with him and everyone else in that copter.

This really reminds me of when another hero of mine also died in a helicopter crash in bad weather. Stevie Ray Vaughn..
    For those who died in this terrible accident.

20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yea I don't need to know her pysche or mental stability, to know what came out her mouth. Like I said, racism is alive & well. Making excuses for it says more about you than me