1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 years from now, where do you see this Rockets team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

#1 I cannot check now but the Rockets will not lose their #1 picks in both 2024 and 2026. Most likely the 2024 pick conveys to OKC and 2025/2026 are not in play.

#2 Daryl Morey didn't paint himself into a corner, ownership did. Daryl Morey gave ownership NUMEROUS avenues to improve.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

This is the **** we are dealing with.

slothy420 and Mazulis like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Picture 2009-2013 with a star player, but worse overall roster.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Internet says 2024 and 2026 first to OKC, only top 4 protected.
    2021 is a swap
    2025 is a swap

You're right about the second point.

Though even still, I suspect DM finalized negotiations. So relevant question, do you think OKC pushed for the actual picks to be conveyed to be out in 2024/2026 or DM/Tilman? I guess DM held back 2020 first cause he needs it to trade to either pick up relevant player or get/stay under tax.

Whatever the case, effectively 2024-2026 draft picks won't be good.

5. jb86

jb86 Member

We will most definitely win a title or 2 within the next five years. I don't care how it looks right now and I don't care what anybody on this forum is saying. I'm just going focus on the end result and watch it manifest. #positivevibes

Patience and Plowman like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

man it just hit me that we have these 3 in our division. they could be the 3 best players in the nba in 5 years.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Working at Landry’s

Exiled likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The Thunder asked for 4 #1 picks in the deal.

Daryl Morey said it was too much.

Tillman pushed for the trade to be completed and stated that the trade would be done.

Rather than just complete the deal, he negotiated 2 #1's and swap rights for 2 other draft picks.

Morey had a gun to his head.

The Thunder wanted the picks farther away. The Rockets had no real choice, but the positive was it put them in a position to trade up to two #1's before the deadline this season if necessary.

Daryl Morey has largely been told what to do since Tillman bought the team or put in such a small box that he has had little say at all.

He was told to move Anderson by the deadline and to get out from his 2020 salary. He was told that the Rockets would not go into the tax in 2019. He was told to trade for Westbrook and to do it on the day that Tillman made the decision. He was told to not spend this off season and although he has been told they will go in the tax...... Morey knows he has been told that in the past.

Hell, even when a really good move was available (Green/Temple) ownership drug their feet until Morey could not complete the deal.

9. magichat281

magichat281 Member

This team gots to rebuild from GM to players a new gut out. New Coach New GM trade harden and westbrook. Get some nice drafts and picks and restart.

10. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Snatch Daryl Ja Moreyant.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I mean, look how much has changed in the NBA in 5 years. Really hard to have any idea of where the Rockets will be. NBA teams can pivot WILDLY all the time. It could go in any number of directions. AND could go in ways you don't expect.

I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

Nook likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Scott Foster and Adam "Voldemort" Silver made sure that didn't happen. Oh I almost forgot, Trevor Ariza brickfest played a part too...

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Gotta agree. One thing I do know is that we won't have a surfeit of draft picks over the course of those 5 years. That, and it's obvious that our best player will be much closer to the end of his career, assuming he's still here.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

OP, did you know 5 years before we traded for Harden that the trade was going to happen?

-edit- forgot to mention, Zion's knees are dreading the next 5 years sadly... ja is a beast but will be in CHI or NY so...

16. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Or like Dolan with the Knicks....God this is scary

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We know the Rockets won't have those picks sent to OKC. But we don't know if they *won't have picks* because they could end up trading Gordon or Capela for picks. Or trade some player *not currently on the roster* for picks. That's the thing, A LOT could happen by that time. 5 years is a long time.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rockets will be a young rebuilding team millions under the cap... Eternally not signing big free agents due to flexibility and delaying repeater tax.

Harden will be on the Knicks or Lakers...
    Rockets previous 5 years resulted in the firing of mda in 2020, firing of Morey in 21 replaced by fertita son, harden trade in 21 and Westbrook finishing his contract as a rocket. 5 years results in 3 playoffs 1st round exits.

19. macan

macan Member

Morey, MDA, Harden and Russ would be retired or gone by then.
    we'll be in rebuild mode or Tilmans turns us into the Knicks in the west..

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rebuilding.

DD