1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Mike D'Antoni get fired if we lose?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jan 22, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Air Yordan and raining threes like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is DA's final year, won't be back after this season. Could be canned before.

smoothie_king and raining threes like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

with respect, it sounds like you are letting coach off the hook. Don't good head coaches have to get results on both sides of the ball? why is it okay to give MDA a pass on his lack of defensive coaching? that's crazy. Also, Harden is uncoachable because Morey coddled him? I think MDA learned something from his time in New York ...don't get in the dog house with your franchise player. And it's clear to me he's taken that lesson to mean, let the best player do what he wants. Unfortunately, that's essentially abdicating coaching responsibility. I don't think we can give him a pass for that either. And lastly, as far as scheme and approach to the game, MDA is the coach. He determines what lineups he plays, the minutes people play, the plays we run. I'll give you that we have some roster weaknesses and that the organization is committed to statistical advantages like shooting 3's at a high rate. But there is a lot more that goes into winning basketball games than just jacking up 3's. MDA has to be accountable for what happens on the court.

Anyway, i'm not trying to blame all of our woes on MDA. I think over the last two years in particular, Morey has fallen far short of what he needed to do as a GM in terms of roster construction. Not replacing the length and defense we lost with Ariza and Luc really hurt us last year. And we neglected length and defense again this year. We are a fundamentally unbalanced team and that is Morey's fault. But we should be playing much better basketball with the talent we do have. We need to see better results on the court. And MDA has to figure out a better way to integrate our other MVP better -maximize what he does well without undermining what Harden does well. Getting folks to sacrifice and devising approaches to the game that maximize the talent on the floor is what coaches are supposed to do. MDA is not doing it, and he's neglecting the defensive side of the ball all together.

But to be clear, i would never recommend firing a coach mid-season without a better alternative. We did that with McHale and we weren't better for it that season.

#23 Aruba77, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

HAHAHAHAHA you wish! :rolleyes:

If we lose tonight again, our whole team will say something along the lines of "no need to hit the panic button, it's only January"

It's their lackadaisical effort this entire month shows.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only Fire we'll see is a fire sale to land Tilman's main squeeze, LTS

clutchdabear, Jontro and Mazulis like this.
  6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It's pretty much understood that he will retire even with a potential new deal in place assuming he isn't fired.

7. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

I think that right now it will be very difficult to find a coach willing to establish a system when we have a Harden who has had the green light to be whatever he wants all these years I have faith that at least if Dantoni continues to be the coach of our team at least give you a competent assistant in the defensive side Joeger JVG or Tom so when it comes time to let Dantoni go at least we have someone to cover that position

8. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Book is not selling well, so no.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While Houston does not have the most well known assistant coaches if Houston loses tonight MDA if not fired has to a dead man walking as the Rockets coach.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Can you believe that ******* runs so many commercials for his book during rockets games !?

BigggReddd, clutchdabear and Mazulis like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

No

13. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

nope we have had 5 game losing streaks the last 3 season relax we are fine

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

"Fire MDA" exists so that there is enough fanbase substance to ensure he's gone next season. I'm down for more threads like this and upping the post count. He's terrible and a waste of all our time. These threads exist so we can get the conversation started on what is currently lacking from a system/coaching perspective and to diagnose the real issues. Whether we have the right players for this system is what some think is the real question for this team to get to "contender" status. It's a valid and the right question to ask, but during this recent extended stretch of bad basketball has showed that this system is majorly flawed - it's been exposed, countered, and systematically implemented across all teams' scouting reports for defending us. I'm not saying MDA can't salvage his career here in Houston - he could easily add some wrinkles to our game that would make it hard to guard us, but he just chooses not to. When there's any real pressure, he rather put the onus on the star players and veterans to take the blame rather than risk anything of his own to grind out a win - no play calls, no timeouts, wrongly grinding players to the ground. He rather see Harden, Tucker, Russ, etc. grind out 40 miserable minutes of basketball trying to make *his* system shine with success.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

have you checked out the trade harden threads. good luck upping the post counts to that level

clutchdabear and RocketsFan247 like this.
  16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Hell to the nawl. If it ain't white then it ain't right!

17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Yeah... Those threads are trippin... I just automatically assume the OPs are our "resident" Lakers fans.

18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I missed this.

Did Thomas have the nads to ask MDA why Hartenstein continues to ride the pine?? I asume not but just curious. I wish someone would force him to give a fuccking answer.

19. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Nah, Morey is too much of a coward.

20. TilmanFinancialWindfall