1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

So much this. A majority of folks want a better societal floor but many folks feels Bernie goes to far.

I respect Bernie, but as a presidential nominee he comes off as an honorable old fool.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And this is the reason I think he would make a terrible president.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sorry, Nook I think this is a dumb reason to not support someone. You agree his positions are good but you want to know EXACTLY how ALL the good things will be passed? Running for president is game of idealism. We will have to agree to disagree.

#943 DreamShook, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do you guys always use an example of healthcare on the extreme, that is not what most folks have to deal with I know I don't.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Please show the link where Clinton or the fellow travelers said that?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This explains so much about you and your ilk.

That is a terrible reason to run or vote for a president.

Nook likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Good for him. Bernie Sanders has one vote. Why do I care?

8. Major

Major Member

LOL at this nonsensical post that has nothing to do with anything you quoted.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What Spectrum?

Cornell West is far left in his thinking.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Trump's MAGA supporters and Twitter Bernie Bros have this ugly tactic in common

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...tter-bernie-bros-have-ugly-tactic-ncna1117901

Time and again, we see how backlash on social media is used to bully people into submission and silence criticism. For writers and commentators like me, sometimes we have to weigh whether or not it’s even worth writing something that could incur the wrath of a political figure’s devout following. The backlash is important because it gives us insights into the nature of the political debate on social media — who has power, and how that power is wielded. And it’s also important to talk about the voices who may be keeping silent — and why.

The attacks against Warren come from the same corners of social media that disparage Democrats (like myself) as being “puppets,” “centrist,” “anti-Semitic, and “ageist” for having the audacity to question or scrutinize their chosen leader. People of color and women who dare to disagree with Sanders’ political assertions have often borne the brunt of this abuse.

This hyper-vocal faction of Sanders supporters — colloquially known as “Bernie Bros”never went away after the 2016 presidential election. In my personal experience, these bros are almost overwhelmingly white men. And they share, like Trump's ardent supporters, a desire to “put me in my place.”

More at link.

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm just trolling you.

jcf likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Important problems that are so big it's better we ignore them completely. Got it!

13. dmoneybangbang

Then don’t get mad at the label Bernie Bros...y’all seem like a bunch of Bros who don’t feel like they need to compromise or be honest.

14. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... Because Nook, myself, and others agree about the issues but disagree on the policy... we want them to be ignored completely?

jiggyfly, Nook and Corrosion like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Now you're trolling me. This is fun.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is it true Bernie Bros enjoy fun?

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So you are saying you agree with Bernie Sanders but you don't support him because you think it would cost too much, and it would never get through congress?

18. TheresTheDagger

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I want a sincere valid answer from Nook and Major or anyone else why countries all over the world can have a single payer healthcare system and provide public college and this country can not. While the people that are aversely impacted by not having those two things are in financial ruin From a trillion plus dollars of student debt or are bankrupt and/or dying from our healthcare system.

The US just can’t do it. While Canada, Germany, Japan and others simply can.

Yet the military dwarfs all of the other countries. While the political system is rife with corruption from campaigns being bought and lobbyists being shuttled back and forth. The wealth gap continues to widen while things as in the rent inflation, school inflation outpaces wage growth.

And we are all supposed to be remain status quo. Trusting in a party that can’t even accept science about climate change because of oil and gas using their muscle to get people to somehow not think it’s true when they know absolutely **** about any of it. Or trust someone like Biden that wants to change nothing.

I’ll go with Sanders. If this country can’t strive to learn from countries like Germany and Japan and institute some of the things that clearly work there. Then i think it’s sad that you have so low amounts of hope for this country.

ipaman likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Probably because they've made a legitimate multi-generational effort at cost controls, managing the system, and making really difficult medical and financial decisions, and engrained all of those things into their budgets and approach to life in general. They've also been lucky enough have their drug costs almost entirely subsidized by US taxpayers. Many of those other systems are on the verge of disaster as well, so it's not like that's just a magical solution in itself.

The problem is that Bernie hasn't proposed anything like those systems - his system doesn't magically get costs down to what Germans or Canadians or whomever else pay. He just makes government pay it. He doesn't address all the difficult decisions like limitng end-of-care costs, slashing doctor pay, etc. He makes you believe that if we just take the profit motive out of health care, it fixes everything and magically brings down prices.

But health care is far more complex than public vs private. It involves ugly decisions like cutting salaries, reducing hospital accessibility, cutting spending on cutting edge research, limiting availability of top-level treatments or extensive end of life treatments, and on and on. It involves making difficult medical decisions that we don't tend to make here and that Bernie just glosses over.

The fact that he's boiled it down to "private sector = bad" is basically selling you snake oil. It goes a lot deeper than that, and if you want to magically cut trillions of dollars out of the health care industry, it means much making much more difficult decisions. Trying to change to the system that you want overnight is not viable without destroying the entire US economy. Trying to change to it slowly is called doing things like implementing Obamacare and covering 30 milllion more people, then adding a public option to Obamacare to control costs, and onward - but you have deemed that to simply be status quo.

All those other countries don't have crazy student despite also having private universities. Maybe that should be another clue that the issues here might be specific to the US rather than simply being public vs private?

jiggyfly, peleincubus, Nook and 5 others like this.