1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Harden is the answer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shocky2002, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

He’s gotta start stepping it up.

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just ask yourself this one question - What were their options to replace him (Ariza)?

What financial tools did they have at their disposal to replace Ariza with a similar quality player ?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Step 1) Time Machine
    Step 2) Knife...

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, prefacing this with in way would I trade Harden unless he demanded it. And even then, I would balk until the 2021-22 season.

But the hypothetical is a interesting exercise. As in, what would another team be willing to trade for him? I mean, like if you offered Harden to say Knicks, what would you expect them to reasonably offer? Wouldn't it be a Herschel Walker like trade?

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's sure simple to demand to trade your best prime player to rebuild when we are slumping, but ask yourself this.

If we are rebuilding, do we trade harden for potential picks to replenish the ones we given up, basically giving up a superstar for a literal reset? Do we trade him for players and tank, we don't really have picks to tank.

Did u also look at the upcoming draft? If so, who the hell are we suppose to go for? Finding a franchise cornerstone player isn't as easy as u think, bust potential is huge.
    Don't forget we also have WB on our team, what the hell do we do with him?

Also don't forget the biggest problem of all, say we do trade him, don't u think harden isn't gonna pop our ass for the next few years? I honestly rather stick with harden and see where fate takes us rather than seeing him own our asses b/c we gave up on him while he's basically still in his prime.

BaselineFade, HP3 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We were 2-3 roles players away 2 seasons ago. I respect you Codman, but they obviously ain't coming.

We still haven't plugged the hole left by Ariza, we tried Ennis, Clark, House. none of them are NBA starters.

We have literally picked up scraps since 2018, while the core gets older and over used. I'm usually optimistic, but I don't see a way out of this, not with this cheap ass owner

7. Adam Silver

Adam Silver Member

Harden isn't a generational talent. There were many great players in his draft. How can you be a generational player when you weren't even the best player in your draft class?

8. Adam Silver

Adam Silver Member

How is Harden a once in a generation talent when there are at least 3 players from his generation (Curry, Giannis, KD) who are better than him.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

10. riko

riko Member

Lol this troll

steddinotayto and mikol13 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what generational talent means, but not once in a generation but among Top 5 in a generation.

To me at least, but carry on.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Is Hakeem not a generational talent because Jordan went in the same draft too?

Either you’re trolling or just a moron.

mikol13 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you're trading Harden, it's not about getting back equal value.

That aside, I could have suggested trading Harden for the #3 pick in the draft two years ago and I would have been laughed out of every room. That pick of course turned out to be Doncic, and the Mavs would laugh in your face if you offered Harden for Doncic right now. Heck you would have said even this past offseason no to a Harden-Doncic straight-up trade and claimed "not equal value". Or how about when the Wizards decided that Harden wasn't equal value for Bradley Beal.

What am I trying to say? I don't know. Mostly that if you were serious about trading Harden, the immediate concern shouldn't be how do I get back today, at least 100% the same exact value, but more how do I set myself up, from near term to long term, to be in a better position that I otherwise would be over the same time frame.

It's all based on chance...

This is as dumb as the original post. You realize 40 years ago was before MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, KG, Dirk, Curry, KD, Karl Malone, Giannis, Nash, heck even Magic and Larry were just starting 40 years ago. There's 15 "generational players" in the last 40 years aside from Harden, just off the top of my head.

OP was probably reactionary... but many of us are more measured. The Rockets do need 2 or 3 LEGITIMATELY stable and healthy role players. But where are those going to come from?? They've needed at least 1 more of those for years than they've been able to ultimately get. At its best, the 65 win team, they couldn't stay healthy and couldn't hit a bucket when it mattered most.

You're asking/implying they can get 2 or 3 of the thing they've struggled to find more than 1 of every offseason. I know everyone loves the Ben McLemore reclamation project. He's sitting on a nice fat 11 PER.

Either you spelled finals wrong, or really meant WCF, in which case its probably the crux of the argument. Is this era better than the Scola+ era, or the Yao/McGrady era before it, and the Francis/Mobley/Yao era before that? Sure. Absolutely. Unquestionably.

Nevertheless, the era is running its course. And as with anything in life, you are either moving forwards, or not.

Harden needs to win a ring. Otherwise, he goes down as one of those generational players above that is ringless.

Getting right back into the thick of the WCF is not the goal.

#113 JayZ750, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I was screaming trade Harden last night partly because he deeply ticked me off and partly because I don't see him capable of bringing his nutz to the table successfully under deep playoff pressure. However, people saying trading Harden now makes no sense due to the opportunity factor in terms of what is actually available are right. We are stuck right now and Harden does put in a lot of practice when it comes to the game of basketball but at the same time he's stubborn to do all it takes to be a all around balanced player to step his game up to championship level.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Generational talent is probably too much of an undefined term. To me, it implies a VERY select group... maybe top 2 per generation at best.

But to be fair to @Adam Silver ... the Codman post said something along the lines of "a player like Harden comes around once every 40 years", which just is hyperbole. I mean sure, you don't see players scoring at the volume Harden has... but that's Harden's one unique thing... lots of players have unique things, if we're talking about overall body of work and value and ability as a player, there have been lots of players as good/better than Harden over the last 40 years.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Nope sorry. You're losing every trade where James Harden is leaving your team.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

the meltdown in this place is so damn funny. Our players can't have a bad few weeks or they are kicked out straight away..........imagine if this was posted at the end of December..........

Yes trade him for Ben Simmons so we have a back court where no player can shoot threes

18. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

I don't think trading Harden will solve this. We need a coach. Maybe I'm crazy but the Vipers coach now will be the best option. Ala what Toronto did with Nick Nurse. Joseph Blate I believe is his name. Trade Capella to Boston for Gordon Haywood. Start Chandler or Isaiah. And stop playing Harden that many F'in minutes. Get the freaking ball out of Harden's hand until the top of the 3 PT key. This Rockets team is better than 12 of the teams in the West.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because none of them are better than Harden? You also don't seem to understand what generational talent means.

20. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I think everything, should be on the table to try to get Luka Doncic. Nothing off the table.