1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Front and Center: How good are we really at Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Capela but overall . . . . I must admit . . . his shrinking concerns me
    DanAndToni's refusal to play Hartenstein
    Insistance on playing Chandler

Looking at the other players in the Center in the West
    Which one do we expect to have an Advantage at center?

Hassan Whiteside - portland
    Dwight Howard - Lakers
    Jaxson Hayes - Pels
    Willie Cauley-Stein - GS
    Rudy Gobert - Utah
    LaMarcus Aldridge - Spurs
    Jonas Valanciunas - Mem
    Steven Adams - OKC
    K.A. Towns - Min
    Jokic - Den
    Javale McGee - Lakers
    Zubac - Clippers
    Ayton - Phx
    Okafor - Pels

Rocket River

DeBeards likes this.
  2. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Kneejerk since they just lost.... but I would take Howard, WCS or McGee (all at 4m and under) plus $14m allocated to a starting PF (such as Love). We are wasting $16m+ on Capela against these bigger teams.

BigShasta and cdxiong like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Clint’s fine. He is who he is.

Hartenstein is averaging 15 and 12 per 36 and allegedly “locked down the backup C role”, but our coach feels Tyson Chandler and his 1.4 ppg is a better option.

It’d be fun to have a coach who made sense.

amaru, JW86, snowconeman22 and 2 others like this.
  4. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I honestly feel we could pick up a cheap strong defensive 7ft plus center and he'd still do the job Capela is doing at the moment. If anything, they'd protect the paint more. We'd then have the money to trade for a decent/good 6ft 9 power forward who can shoot a little... whilst having a little defense and helping with the rebounds.

amaru, jerryclark, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  5. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I like Capela but after the gsw series he makes me worry as well. I say we trade him plus whoever else for Adam and some how get Noel and Gallo.

#5 ThatboyPhuong, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    amaru likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is not that Capela sucks
    It is just that what he provides is easily replacable with a smaller salary cap going to that position.

and he is our best trade asset

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is Capela a top 5 center in the west?

Rocket River

8. xaos

xaos Member

Clint is a big part of what we do and who we are. He is a big part of our success and post season failures. But, he shrinks at times and for a team with championship aspirations, he might our weakest link.

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. TheSource

TheSource Member

We have a good core of Harden,Westbrook,Gordon,Tucker, and Capela but after that the production falls off a cliff besides McLemore having his moments this team has to make moves at the deadline if they want to even small contention because right now we look like a 1 and done team

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Capela is so overrated here. You can trade him and Houses' salary for an borderline star forward and we'll still be fine starting Hartenstein.

Hartenstein has leaping ability even though he looks like an nonathletic white guy, actually he might even jump higher than Capela on dunks. The only issue would he if there are enough games left for him to get used to playing starting minutes since Dantoni refuses to play him.

Another problem is star forwards that play defense in today's league are so rare, any team with them would want a ton in return (like Covington). imo, we can target guys in the East like either of the Morris twins.

#10 RocketsFido, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Rocket River likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Above average at the starting center position. Capela certainly isn't an elite defensive force that can make up for the rest of the team. I don't really view it was Capela vs Center X since that's not how the Rockets play defense.

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

im starting to agree sadly. I like Clint, but we have bigger needs for that salary. The alley oop connection from Harden is awesome, but it always seems to get shut down in pressure situations anyway.

BaselineFade, Rocket River and smp like this.
  13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Steven Adams would be dope on our team, but at $25mill? Noels makes around $4mill.
    But we still need a PF.
    Saw a trade suggestion of Drummond and Morris from Detroit, for Capella, House and a few others that worked in the trade machine. That's a trade that I see working.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Saw him today checking into their hotel
    Does not look as scary and tall in person

Cool Story Bro

Rocket River

abaker28 likes this.
  15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

To trade cc for a legitimate PF who can shoot and play D
    Any C below can run the floor, set screen and create his own shot, would be a better fit
    Enes Kanter
    Mason Plumlee
    Meters Leonard
    (also, these guys above are tougher)

once the beard got locked down by opp, cc could do nothing but grabbing a few boards and running in vain w/o any offensive impact, that means 2 of of our key players being confined by opp.

#15 DeBeards, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd help Atlanta to get Drummond by trading Capela to Detroit for Rose, Morris, and *drumroll* Thon Maker (here's to you, Jopat) with Atlanta moving their 1st to Detroit. Then move Thabo, Nene and a 2nd Rounder to Sacramento for Holmes.

Holmes/Hartenstein
    Morris/Maker
    Tucker/House
    Harden/Gordon
    Westbrook/Rose

DeBeards likes this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Capela's motor is underrated on here as a lot of bigs cannot keep it up with what he's doing; running from 1 end to the other on the break on a nightly basis. Also I don't know why people feel he's not a solid rim protector, but to me he's fine in that department. The problem is playing smaller than he is, somehow losing confidence throughout the season to body up and dunk or make a move in the post. Capela can actually shoot with left and go around his man, but we see it far too in between.

He lacks some instinct it seems about when to try to block a shot or not and can be bullied on the boards, but still he's top 5 in the league. It's still not his fault that when he goes at a guy or tries to block the shot that guys don't rotate, saw Harden just hide behind Capela or an offensive player several times during the Lakers game.

I think teams around the league value what he does for us and I'd like to see what we could get for him. I'd let teams know he's available, that's for sure. The guy stepped up against the Jazz and Wolves 2 years ago, there's no Warriors to worry about this year, he outplayed Embiid last time around so I have faith that he could show up for us. However, we need a spark and if Capela can get us a big 3/4 with Hartenstein / Tucker at the 5 then I'm all for it.

He's definitely top 5 and I agree it's hard to say who we'd have the advantage over since we play the all-out switch defense again. He seems to struggle with long guys, but I'd still take him over every center except Ibaka, Brook Lopez & Jokic.