1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bible] Let's find something more boring than politics to discuss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jan 15, 2020.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The story of Abraham and Isaac draws attention to the covenant God made with humanity in the Bible. It's also the story that ties the Old Testament with the New Testament as in the Old Testament the covenant was thought to involve a human sacrifice between a father and his son asked upon by God. Instead we get a role reversal where God still performs a human sacrifice, but it's His son instead and somehow that son is also an embodiment of God and that sacrifice is done on behalf of all humanity, past, present and future. It's a beautiful story. I completely understand why it's been so moving to many people throughout human history.

At the same time, what always bugged me was the necessity of an evil person to be the match that sparked the whole turn of events of Jesus betrayal so that his sacrifice might save us all. This is perhaps a backwards take to have but I really think Judas is the real hero in the New Testament.

Here you have a man, not all knowing in the least, that was a necessary agent in that without his betrayal, Jesus would have never been crucified and thus saved us all through that sacrifice. Without Judas, there'd be no crucifixion. And it's not as though Judas was special either. You could have had any apostle or random schmoe with intimate knowledge of Jesus' whereabouts willing to betray him, and that person would have been a necessary agent for the saving of humanity. I mean again, I was raised to believe God is infinite in every way, meaning humanity could have been saved by the snap of a finger, or the mere thought. Why was it necessary to invoke an embodiment of God in human form, to live a life of poverty among the destitute of society and to be betrayed by a human clouded by their own moral ambiguity?

I mean did Jesus really have it worse than Judas at the end of the day? On one hand, we have an embodiment of God that gets betrayed one of his apostles, and is crucified to death for it. Except that he later resurrects and stills gets to be this infinite God that is loved and adored for thousands of years to present day by billions. On the other hand, you have Judas, a person not really special by any metric, who betrays God and hangs himself and is left to be in hell for eternity. Why couldn't God save Judas, a fellow human being without having literally anyone betray Him in order to save humanity? I mean sure, God suffers and dies but at the end of the day, He's still God. He's still the head honcho that runs the show. Judas makes one horrible choice and it not only condemns him in this life but also eternity in the next. I mean eternal hell is for a long ****ing time.

Does God not believe in rehabilitation? Does God hold onto eternal grudges and if so, isn't that the opposite of the infinite mercy I was raised to believe as a Catholic? I mean ****, even the harshest human punishment we can enact on someone is only for that person's lifetime. Why couldn't God save us all, including Judas without having anyone betray him? Why was it necessary to have an agent of evil commit one awful act to start it all?

I think back on my own misdeeds on others and never once have I had a devil put thoughts in my head and persuade me to do those misdeeds. I think it's easier to create a monster that doesn't exist and blame it for our own actions than actually own that we are capable of being monsters, capable of being wicked and capable of doing misdeeds that came from our own thoughts and ultimately actions. I don't quite know where I'm going with that other than I wish people would take accountability for themselves over blaming exterior forces for their misaligned actions.

ElPigto, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So awesome. Your post has sent me down a crazy rabbit hole of exploring Judas and all of the things you're talking about. I have some ideas. I will try and post later when I can clear up a little bit of time. A lot to think about.

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

So I will have to answer you in parts. There is so much to discuss here. But I will go piece by piece and probably regress and go over stuff again.

So as far as my take on pointing out germ theory the no hidden mystery parts. I get it, but I think that's where context comes into play a lot. It was man writing these accounts, poems, the retelling of oral traditions, letters, etc. They lived in a world where the tribe was everything, and where anything the human mind at that time couldn't understand was usually described as whichever god's will.

So if they needed the right weather for the crops, good luck in the hunt, fishing, keeping the herd fed, they made sacrifices hoping whichever god(s) their tribe believed in would be pleased. When it didn't work out, they made more sacrifices. When it worked they gave sacrifices as thanks. When another tribe threatened access to resources or caused damages, there would be a war. Every group would claim they were going to war because it was what their gods wanted and demanded. They wouldn't let men survive because it was a matter of safety. Those survivors would harbor grudges find allies go back make attacks on your tribe. And Grudges lasted for decades if not centuries back then. Grudges and warfare were passed on from generation to generation. They all needed to be killed in order to preserve your tribe's peace and of course each tribe would claim they were following their god's will when they did it.

So while stories like Johah actually advocate forgiving and blessing your worst enemy which was strikingly different from most if not all of the gods at the time, they were still talking to people who lived in that brutal world. If these early authors somehow understood germ theory(there is no way they would, given the type of primitive knowledge and the world in which they were born and raised), nobody would buy it. It had to go in gradual steps. It's why the eye for an eye set of laws wasn't meant to prescribe revenge for someone who took an eye. It was meant to limit the reprisals. Rather than kill a whole tribe, slaughter all of their beasts and enslave all the women and children of the offender, the person was limited to taking an eye for the eye lost. It was a step towards peace, forgiveness, etc.

So while they didn't put germ theory down in their holy books, they were doing something radically different than any of the other religions around at the time. That message of forgiving your worst enemies is one that's repeated over and over throughout the bible. Almost every story that Jesus told he would use the most hated, despised, and bitter enemies of the groups he was talking to. That's true of the good Samaritan, the Sidonites (which were enemies because of a long-time grudge), lepers, prostitutes, women, etc. His stories were about protecting, showing humanity, blessing, forgiving, and loving these despised oppressed groups.

Jesus' story about the Samaritan being the good neighbor would be the equivalent of telling the story to someone in the United States and the good neighbor was someone from the Taliban or possibly even ISIS. It would be hard if not impossible for people now to admit that someone from those groups could be the good neighbor in a story where the evangelical Christian and Evangelist were worse neighbors. So given the violence of that time, they were still trying to push this idea of loving your enemy. If it is difficult to take root now, certainly, no wonder Jesus was making political enemies at the time.

This is my long-winded way of saying.

1. Men from brutal times with limited knowledge wrote these books, poems, letters, histories, and stories. As nearly impossible as it was for them to come up with the broad idea of forgiving and loving your enemy, it would have been even harder to come up with a specific like germ theory.

2. Even though they didn't come up with germ theory, I don't believe that is a reason to ignore the progress they were advocating, towards peace, forgiveness, and love. I find it quite remarkable.

I will take some time to address some of the other things you mentioned in your post, but I just wanted to tackle it bit by bit since I tend to ramble.

Nook, Exiled, mdrowe00 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

So many Greeks as well. And don't get me started on the Nazis!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

malakas, Nook, Colt45 and 2 others like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And this is why I can't get with christianity.

The funny thing is I was watching How the Universe works and they were talking about the creation of the Universe and something had to create something from nothing which is essentially how the Big Bang happened.

It made me appreciate the idea of a god even more.

But then what created god?
    :eek:

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mind Blown!

I had never heard that before and it makes so much sense.

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

....ramble young man...RAMBLE!

Nook, FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yep...I've read that 666 was some code for Nero. The concepts of Rapture came around in the 19th century. The broader narrative of Revelation to me is that things aren't going to be easy and at times they're going to be awful, but don't lose hope.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

@DFWRocket Great points regarding Revelations.

Yeah, I kind of feel sorry for Revelations. It gets a lot of the blame and crazy people twisting it to serve their own interests.

John was a pastor and a poet who was writing that as a letter to his congregation. As the book I'm reading points out, they lived in a violent time where Romans were burning villages, attacking the helpless and crucifying people who didn't swear that Caesar was the god they worshipped. As Jews who were following Jesus, they didn't believe that this Roman leader was God. Ceasar would go around with a choir singing about how he was a deserving God who should be loved, honored, and worshipped. In Revelations, John uses some of the same language to talk about Jesus. His followers would have definitely caught the reference. It really isn't about some future thousands of years from then.

Bell mentions that if you had a friend who lived in Syria and their village was attacked with chemical weapons and your friend saw death and destruction everywhere, would you decide to write them a letter about some events that would happen thousands of years in the future? It just doesn't make sense.

People then talk about the violence of Revelations and trying to figure out all of the meaning of the words. Bell points to the song Smells Like Teen Spirit and how people took that in. They got whatever message or lack of message it was conveying but they wouldn't explain what the words...

"A mulatto
    An Albino
    A Mosquito
    My Libido
    Yeah!"

meant. It was using poetry to create a feeling just like Revelations was doing at the time.

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Nothing created everything... so god is nothing...?

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

imperfect God , created imperfect world, isn't this idea was profoundly established by the cain's knights who considered Judas as the true apostle among fake ones,whom saved Jesus from his trap in human body, in other words, from their prepsctive,God is the anti-santa Claus

13. cml750

cml750 Member

14. cml750

cml750 Member

That might make sense if Revelations was not written in 95 AD twenty five years after the events in 70 AD. Revelations starts off "1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place." basically saying it is about future events.

malakas and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But it isn't about thousands of years in the future which is what is sometimes taught.

It is also fair to say that the attacks did not end in 70 AD. At the time Revelations was written, John's congregation lived in fear.

I like @MadMax 's take.

16. KingCheetah

+

cml750 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"What is North of the North Pole?" Is an analogy that Stephen Hawking supposedly used to respond to the question of what happened before the big bang.

The question seems completely rational - everywhere you go on earth there are 4 ordinal directions. But that paradigm breaks down if you are standing directly on the North Pole. No matter which way you look you are looking South.

So too, the question of "who created God". At the vanishing point of creation, everything converges. Maybe God made God. Maybe God always was. Maybe the question makes no sense when you step outside the rules you are used to. No matter what direction you turn, you face South.

#57 Ottomaton, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Blatz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Double tap.

19. KingCheetah

Jesus was guiding your hand.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jesus has the magic touch. One would even say miraculous.