1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Dichotomy Amongst Franchises Today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I find it interesting today.

The Astros fired their top two guys, both of whom helped resurrect the team and bring a Championship to town. Both of whom helped bring the franchise within two outs of being champions twice in three years. They got fired not because they were bad. They got fired because their underlings were doing something that they objected to, but did not stop.

The Texans seem to be choosing to hold onto the guy who cannot seem to competently guide this team anywhere but to a division title. A guy that berates fans who criticize him. A guy who has a terrible relationship with the media. A guy who is getting roasted nationally. A guy who couldn't scheme his way out of a wet paper sack. A guy who will never win anything in this city, short of a division title. A guy who is also the GM of our team. Hasn't been stripped of any responsibility.

The wrong guy got fired today. I understand it. But it just shows the difference between a winning franchise and a franchise that simply cares about money. It starts at the top and trickles it's way down. I love football, but this off-season and next year are going to be hard.

Blatz, Jake Tower, gatsby and 7 others like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

there's plenty of posters here demanding the Texans be more Patriots like in their preparation.... and that this ownership/front office doesn't go the extra mile (interpret that as you will) to win, and needs a front office as ruthless and calculating as the Astros.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We live in a bass-ackwards sports city.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Bill O Brien should interview with the Astros, he's a great coach and a great GM.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Texans have a head coach that convinces his team they're not gonna win AND then doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 killing ALL MOMENTUM then gets historically destroyed by the Chiefs. Who does this make sense to?

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't see BO'B cheating. He not banging trashcan to tip off batters against the rules. You make not like Bill O'Brien, at least he has SOME integrity. Luhnow and Hinch...do not. How in the hell do you not like something, but never put a stop to it? ****ing Cop out. O'Brien may need to be fired, at least he has his integrity left.

Win at all cost? How is that working for the Astros right now?

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

By the same token I could be hired as coach of the Texans. I won't cheat and won't have any rings either.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You don't understand how cheating is different? The Astros have embarrassed themselves.

Completely different situations. The Astros are involved in a scandal

I understand everyone is embarrassed by the loss and BoB really looked inept but lets not make stupid threads to b**** some more. Not going to go in further in stating obvious facts that makes the Astros a unique situation

An actual real comparison to the Astros situation is Boston firing Cora and the Patriots sticking with Belichick

#8 pgabriel, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    justtxyank and Blatz like this.
  9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

3:22 - 5:01, One man cannot change a situation by himself and 12 teams competing for championship, 20 improving team stock and net worth.

It's roughly 12 in the NBA, NHL, and MLB, as well. The Rockets and Astros are steadily in championship or bust mode. Can we argue the same for the Texans?

Are they a hungry for championship-type team?

12 teams only make the playoffs, which has included the Texans. But, can we argue are they hungrier than teams, like Atlanta, Dallas, Carolina, LA Rams, LA Chargers, Oakland, and Pittsburgh -- who are all in tougher divisions with NFC East being the one paper weight.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No Cal McNair likes being a loser, haven't you heard the fans. Also popular fan talk tells you he has no nuts.

Im not happy to defend BoB right now but threads like this are a good example of fan stupidity. Cheating is a mortal sin. It can ruin a league's credibility. Thus the Astros immediate reaction. See Pete Rose This thread is stupid

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Cheating is the most substantial sin in sports, it should never rewarded or tolerated. But, isn't it weird how the caliber of player or coach are awfully high amongst suspected or outed cheaters, Bill Belichick, Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, A-Rod, Lance Armstrong, Ken Caminiti, Marion Jones, and etc. That's like a list of alpha players and coaches.

I think why a lot of Texan fans are pissed off, because their zeal and desperation misappropriates cheating with a passion to win and succeed by pulling out stops and tricks to win. When that's compared to just happy to have a full stadium and high box-office revenue and merchandise profits. I can see the resentment.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We have a ring. We had a parade. Was worth it.

vinsensual and BigShasta like this.
  13. Mattician

Mattician Member

It starts with the ownership. They are often too scared to fire someone. They hang on to people too long.
    It's clear they're fine being just good enough to fill seats. It's won them division titles.

The Texans have wasted the prime of many players. And they have a young, and still learning, QB in Watson. I thought the perfect time to make a coaching change was Watson's rookie season.
    It would have felt like a new era. A new young and exciting QB, new coach, new offense, etc.

The fact that the owners seem to be fine with the product on the field is disappointing. It's almost as if why should I care if they don't?
    Do I get excited each season? Yeah, but then the excitement wears off because the team hasn't really changed for the better.

If nothing major happens with the coaching staff this season, it's just further prove they only care about the money.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Texans need to hire Luhnow

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The last thing we need is a cheater.

16. Buck Turgidson

Lulz, dumbass.