1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the "easier shot"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 16, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

just as a reminder as I'm sure a lot of people don't recall

“They offered four [years] and then they went three. Daryl [Morey] always has a million things going on, like in A Beautiful Mind with all of the stuff written on the chalkboard,'' Reddick told The HoopsHype podcast.

''I’m sure he had four or five deals out there [he was working on]. The day before free agency, I thought it was a four-year deal. Chris Paul and I talked for about 30 minutes the night before free agency started. I wanted to go there.

“[It didn’t work out] – some of it was numbers and some of it was other factors like relocating the family and – I hate to say this – but you never know with Daryl and how he operates. A three-year deal could really be a six-month deal if you get dealt at the trade deadline for a superstar as part of a package of six.”

malakas likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Bucks have a worse shooting percentage on wide open shots.

malakas likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Bucks have something the Rox dun, they are not top heavy.

Their Offense goes thru the motion, a lot of players take part in it, more so than ours.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

That’s irrelevant for your argument. You said their offense created 4 more open 3s and we should look at it. Having the same offensive rating says otherwise since both teams are equal.
    I was explaining how their offense works and why Giannis isn’t doubled at half court.
    Where the real difference is in the defensive end. Bucks are head and shoulder above the Rockets.

HP3 likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yep. That offense optimizes Giannis' skills (or lackthereof) very well.

Rockets' offense would optimize Harden and Westbrook's skills too...if only the players could hit their wide open 3s.

HP3, fckbandwagons and Blurr#7 like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

what?
    Giannis consistenly draws double and triple teams in the halfcourt and he does most of the playmaking (in the 30 minutes he plays).
    Honest question.
    Have you ever watched a single game of the Bucks?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

The things I am reading in this thread are mindblowing.
    LMAO at not getting doubled in the halfcourt. Then he would average 60 points :D:D:D

8. Blurr#7

Common, we’re talking the frequency in which it occurs.
    And yes I watch them pretty frequently.
    I wasn’t gonna post a description of their complete offense but ok mix in a screen and curl to get to the paint. There lol. Budenholzer is a great coach, once they embraced spacing it made them elite. Middleton and Bledsoe can both run the offense and create open shots. Lopez is really their biggest floor spacer tho. He’d look great with us.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You're right, I was looking at bball reference, which is a much easier to use website but the numbers are less accurate. Bballreference has the rockets ahead but nba.com has them tied.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Then you should know how often he gets at least double teamed. It's not to the extent of Harden but everytime he finds a double when he drives. That' show he playmakes and creates open 3s for his teammates.

But OT why would you in heaven's shake watch them pretty frequenty btw? aren't they too boring? I who am a fan am bored out of my wits because there is no suspense and you watch them all the time?. The Rockets are much better watch/

11. Blurr#7

I agree Giannis make the correct reads but he also sees over the defense better than anyone in the league.
    I watch wayy more basketball than any sane human being would. I watch WNBA games in offseason, I know I have a problem lol.

pippendagimp and malakas like this.
  12. jb86

jb86 Member

James has been shooting low percentage shots as of late. Since he can do whatever he wants on the floor, he needs to shoot the J every chance he gets, along with the 3 ball. But every shot that he shoots needs to be a good look. There would probably be more ankle breaking highlights and he would be an even more deadly scorer if takes everything the defense gives. Half the time he forces the 3 ball and misses.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Giannas and new are running the Olajuwon Offense . . .
    in a sense

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any shot or play that requires someone
    Not named Harden or Westbrook dribbling
    Worries me

Rocket River

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think Austin Rivers gave a great insight on players when he said learning to be ready to shoot at any point in time was a new and challenging thing to learn when being with the Rockets.

When you think about streak shooters or players needing to warm up, being under James really is new.

The fact we don't make plays to feed our shooters anymore probably hints that the data says doesn't help? (or our coach being senile or lazy)

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he was always a great poster, perhaps @jordnnnn didnt follow him before... but unfortunately he ends the post with the exact opposite of what he is commended for...

"That's because this team doesn't have the ability to turn up the intensity and play serious defense to win on those nights where our shots aren't falling."

ie this is not the fact but an intepretation or conclusion inferred from the facts that may be highly biased and or emotional one, the other interpretation is that they are just coasting because we did saw them playing intervals of great defense and 'winning' when they do

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'll go with breakaway open dunks. To get these, you gotta play defense for 4 quarters every game.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know about open shots. But the Bucks shoot a higher percentage of 3s than us.

Our 3pt percentage is #22 in the league. That's pretty bad. But our offense overall is still very good, ranked 2nd because we get a lot of FTs. (That seems to be against the narrative that the refs are out to get us.) The Bucks are a close 3rd in ORtg behind us.

The main difference between the Bucks and the Rockets is defense. They are by far the best defensive team in the league.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well you can now because I just provided NBa.com days that clearly shows the Bucks shoot worse on wide open attempts.

Our overall three point percentage is worse because even our aversge to below average shooters take contested three point shots. We take far more contested three point shots than the Bucks.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The overall percentage is more important than just open shots. What does it matter if we shoots better when open but we don't get open very much.

HP3 likes this.