1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting at Bellaire High

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, the reporting seems to be pretty firm that shooter and victim were both students at the school. Also quotes from the mayor, principal, and fellow students seem to confirm that.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I actually think this applies to most decent high schools, even the ones in the suburbs. I can describe having a very similar experience in Klein in the 90s. I was also shocked at the difference between honors and regulars classes.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One year of being held back or starting late creates a 19 year old high school student.

CCity Zero, Jontro and OmegaSupreme like this.
  4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I remember back when I went Stovall Jr High in the late 80's. It was not uncommon for there to be 15+ plain cloths and uniformed officers with shotguns standing across the street as both Stovall Jr and Aldine High schools let out at pretty much the same damn time. Two very over crowded schools next to each other letting out at same time was bad idea. There was a Dairy Queen next door to the Jack n the Box where I saw some dude get picked up and thrown through the window. Plenty of times fights would breakout in the mornings across the street where someone would end up stabbed. Fights in school where so many people that were watching carried mace and when some authorities tried to break it up they would be sprayed with mace.

Not a very pleasant time or place to be...

Jontro likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Like 4th hand info but a friend’s neighbor’s son apparently witnessed this. All 3 are ROTC students there.

6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

D.A. just said manslaughter charge is because the shooting might have been an accident.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So the Rotc rifles are real?

Jontro likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Aldine's state championship football players top five ranked program robbed and killed that dude in Montross in 94. Im pretty sure they won state. They all had football scholarships

Black lives matter better get these black kids bringing these problems to these schools

Just had a gang killing at Lamar. They will shut down these programs that bring kids from other neighborhoods

#28 pgabriel, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Jontro likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yes 'accident' except for the part where they had to do a manhunt for the shooter

10. JuanValdez

Seems like he just panicked. 16 year-old kid, not a hardened criminal.

https://abc13.com/long-line-at-bellaire-hs-as-students-return-after-shooting/5850016/

The gun was a 32-caliber semi-automatic pistol. From what Kim Ogg said, it sounds like a deal where he thought the gun was not loaded when it was:

"The reason that the manslaughter charge was filed as opposed to murder, is because at this time, the evidence shows that the act that the juvenile committed was not intentional, but it was reckless. The individuals knew each other."

Ogg continued saying, "So, this is not an accident because pulling a trigger on a gun, whether you know if it's loaded or not, is an intentional act, but he did not, based on the evidence we have right now, intend to kill his friend, yet he did."

The victim had already enlisted in the Army. Several kids already knew about the gun but no one reported it. Bellaire has already had a few incidents this school year about guns and threats. Kids, rat out your stupid friends!

B-Bob and heypartner like this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

When I was in HISD, Bellaire was the top school in HISD located in a very well to do part of town. Reading about this shooting just blew my mind.

tinman likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It probably still is. I should retract what i said earlier about kids from other neighborhoods bringing problems there. It seems just a kid a doing something stupid but an accident ultimately.

I went to private school in the early nineties. It seemed Lamar had more students from around the city for diversity and the non neighborhood kids at Bellaire were academically above average

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My sister graduated from Bellaire and I would have too if my mother wouldn't have re-married and moved us out to the 'burbs. Back then they called it Hebrew High.

And yes, I read that the shooter actually tried to help the victim before he panicked and fled the scene. So it sounds like it was just a horrible accident. That must be really hard for the victims parents to deal with. So sad.

14. JuanValdez

Looks like a manslaughter charge carries a sentence of 2-20 years for an adult. Manslaughter requires "reckless" behavior, which I suppose is why Ogg used that word. If his behavior was merely "negligent", it's be a state jail felony instead of second degree, and punishable by 18-24 months.

That's if he was over 17. But, he's 16, so he'll be in the juvenile system unless they attempt to try him as an adult. So he might have a de facto 2-year cap on his "rehabilitation." It's possible to get the courts to transfer him to adult prison, though, if they want a longer sentence. And, I don't a record of his conviction in a juvenile court will show up in records when he's an adult. In all, I don't think the legal ramifications for him are going to be too bad, provided he has a decent lawyer (which I think he must because supposedly he's not talking to the cops) and the prosecutor doesn't go for the throat (and it doesn't sound like Ogg will, but could be wrong).

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just concerned for the kid and the implications for the Bellaire community.

heypartner likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Going to Juvie isn't a win for this kid. Due to the protections these kids have, the state can't punish them like it does adults in prison. It means that if a kid steps out of line, the guards can't do much. They can't beat the hell out of them and they can't punish the entire 'cell block' by taking away privileges, which, in prison, results in a self-policing populace. That might sound like a win for the kids, right? Wrong. A lot of these kids are bad news and know they can't get punished and can literally get away with murder. They're all pubescent punks so raping each other goes on with regularity. It's literally Lord of the Flies in there. Juvie was the only place I took prison vehicles to my destination because it was so dangerous to work there.

So even if this was a stupid teenager trick gone bad, this kid is going to be punished, even if it's 2 years in Juvie. Hopefully he comes out and toes the line for the rest of his life, because that place is going to twist him.

16. JuanValdez

Well, that's encouraging. :(

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why wouldnt you be able to take away their privileges? That would seem the most reasonable way to deal with those assholes if you couldnt beat them. Theres actual sodomy going on in juvie?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s still a great part of town. Lots of Mc Mansions

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those two sentences contradict each other.

Buck Turgidson and JuanValdez like this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s what I call it when they the people buy old small houses and build mansions on the land