1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CinematicFusion

#1081 CinematicFusion, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We literally have multiple people saying the Dodgers also do it lol

No investigation, no anything.

MLB knows whats up. It's why the Dodgers won't say anything about it because they know whats up.

everyday eddie, jklb and htwnbandit like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Why do you assume no one is investigating it?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL @ Mike Fiers being "brave" or a "hero".

5. CinematicFusion

Speculation was there for the Astros before Fiers but no proof because no one would rat the team out ....until Fiers.
    Dodgers need someone on that team to open up and say this is how we did it just like the Red Sox players who opened up.

Now with the firings... I doubt any player will open up.

6. msn

msn Member

I think he was referring to a Manfred-led investigation, which IMO would only be fair. In that case, it's not an assumption: Manfred has been pretty public about the two investigations he's busy with, and he specifically stated he wasn't investigating anyone else.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

He has repeatedly said they will investigate whereever the evidence leads and that's what he's done so far. They didn't investigate the Astros when it was just rumors either - it took a concrete claim. Morrison might get a call from MLB soon, and if he can point to anything specific, there will be a publicly announced investigation. Or if anything comes from all the other people they talk to, same. But they aren't going to publicly put a franchise in the spotlight and essentially accuse them of cheating based on random twitter comments and generic claims. Don't assume that just because MLB hasn't named teams, they aren't looking into them. They didn't name the Red Sox until they had more evidence either.

msn likes this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

But they did kind of say something by saying they couldn’t say something.

After the news broke about the Astros, the Dodgers were quick to say there was a gag order. To me that implied they were pissed and wanted to speak out against the 2017 WS.

MLB needs to stop hiding and really blow this thing wide open. This is a bunch of bs. I don’t mind taking it on the chin, but I’ll be damned if I want to take blows that many other teams deserve.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because MLB would say they are also investigating the Dodgers. They've been pretty open about who they suspect and who they don't. They already come out and say they are not looking into the Yankees, they have basically investigated the Astros and then it spread to the Red Sox because an Astros bench coach went to the Red Sox.

So far they have shown no desire to investigate any team outside of the Astros.

I feel like multiple accusations across teams considering how 'serious' they are taking this battle with the Astros merit a look into.

People cry about how serious this is, how big of a deal it is, and then turn a blind eye when the Yankees or Dodgers also have those same suspicions around the league.

everyday eddie, jklb and msn like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

They have never announced they are investigating a team where there's no concrete evidence - for good reason, given that even the accusation tarnishes a team's reputation. They did the Astros because of Fiers and all the other players. They announced the Red Sox once there was clear evidence there. They aren't going to just list a bunch of teams based on hearsay or innuendo and put them into a media hell for no reason.

11. CinematicFusion

I’m with you but to open an investigation the league needs evidence or witness. Fiers told all and the league jumped in.
    Will anyone on the Dodgers rat out the team now? Knowing that Dave Roberts would get suspended or fired?

I guess league could go back to the Brewers source that told the Athletic about the Dodgers in 18, but if that source declines now to speak for fear of hurting others.... case closed.

12. mikol13

Supporting Member

I get it, but come on man, MLB knows. They just don’t want another PR hit like they had with steroids. Especially when it involves the darlings of the league which occupy both coasts.

Not an attack on you, just saying.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. mikol13

Supporting Member

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I feel it is different now and they should be investigated.

I'm sorry, all I've heard is how big of a deal this is the past few days. How serious this all is...

So now we have reports of other teams doing it that stretch back years ago to now.

https://theathletic.com/1532175/202...ity-for-baseballs-current-sign-stealing-mess/

We have this. We have the initial report that it is a widespread problem...and we clearly have the Astros taking the fall for it.

At the very start Manfred said it would only be an Astros investigation...and he's stuck to that.

Just imagine if PEDs were handled this way where the microscope is only on one player or team? It allows everyone else to go off scott free.

Manfred from the start should have been more open with the investigation and he should still warn other teams that they are still on the lookout for misuse of cameras and other wrong doings.

15. Major

Major Member

Then why announce an investigation into one of their most beloved teams in the Red Sox?

16. Major

Major Member

Except he didn't. And the Red Sox would disagree.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He said that it was an Astros investigation.

Red Sox are ONLY involved because they signed an ex-Astro coach that was found to be the ring leader of the damn thing. If Cora was still on the Astros, they would have never been implicated.

Everyone involved is an Ex-Astro.

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

Cora and Cora alone.

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Jessica Mendoza being real by saying the Astros would've beaten the Yankees in '17 anyway. Wish she reminded Max that the Yanks scored like 3 runs and 0 in game 7 since Max is so adamant that the Yankees were "far superior" just because they won all 3 at Yankee Stadium and the Astros "cheated at home".

everyday eddie and JayGoogle like this.
  20. CinematicFusion

It sucks... we (including the league) knew it was going on with many teams since 2014.
    Yes, I wish the league would look into other accounts of teams involved in electronic sign stealing scandal.

However...
    The biggest sin for the Astros is they didn’t stop when the league told everyone to knock it off in Sept. of 17.
    Why? Why did the Astros continue? Why didn’t Hinch or the players against it address it at that point? That was the perfect window to do so inside the clubhouse.

It wouldn’t be a big deal if Astros had stopped. They would have been just like everyone else. Electronic sign stealing during the 2014-2017 seasons.

Astros wouldn’t have been punished that hard if at all. At most, same slap on the wrist penalty as Red Sox and Yankees because they stopped.

Astros organization, players, fans, Houston now has to live with that decision in Sept. of 17 to keep cheating in the playoffs forever.
    Sucks.

Astro players will have this follow them forever. They have to address it during fan fest or spring training. Admit they are wrong, be open about involvement. Don’t throw anyone under the bus except yourself. Praise the players who were against it.
    Own the mistake like Andy Pettitte did and then move on.

It’s brutal. It sucks.

Easy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.