1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After the loss to MEM, I work on a spreadsheet to find out clues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jan 16, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

2 goals
    to check up Ws & Ls, find out clues why we won, why we lost (past 39 games)
    to exclude irrelevant things we can’t make sure have something to do with those Ls

The trigger
    Im ok with the loss to okc, coz they are red-hot and jelling well for 2.5-month, what's more, CP3 know our squad well and his mates know russ well.
    But, a loss to MEM is too much, quite painful. The team avg. 24-yr, but using 2 month to fight back and whack up our team full of veterans, their learning curve is stunning. In in other words, we are not that good.

Samples
    82-game, the whole season
    we played 39 games till matchup MEM, 2 games shy of 42-game, a half season
    taking out 12 games out of past the 39-game, i keep 27 games as sample size (nearly a third of the whole season)

jamisonrocket and SamFisher like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

looks....incomplete...

DeBeards, napalm06, bro2044 and 6 others like this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Method of exclusion
    I take out those 12 games (incl. 9 Ws)
    against 8 teams avg. PCT .314, all bottom teams we will not meetup post-season
    1 game against nop w/o our back court tandem
    1 game against was 159:158 W, the number is unrepresentative

Findings
    W
    sample size, 27
    17 Ws against 14 teams, 2 teams sub-400, 6 teams above .500, 5 teams between .410-.470
    • Harden %3PM .448, 3PA 13.1 (plus 6.6 ast, 6.4 reb)
    • the 3rd high scorer of our 5-starter, avg. 16-pts
    • CC 15 pts, 13 reb
    L
    sample size 27
    10 Ls against teams, 1 team sub-400, 5 teams above .500, 3 teams between .440-.460

• Harden %3PM .266, 3PA 12.7 (plus 7.7 ast, 6.4 reb )
    • the 3rd high scorer of our 5-starter, avg. 14-pts
    • CC 14 pts, 15 reb
    ( using 10-player roundup, but possibly incl. )

Irrelevant
    Bench: W, avg. 36pts; L, avg. 26pts (beard, russ and cc account 69.9% of our payroll, what do we expect from the bench)
    Either Ws or Ls, we avg. 10-player (roundup) rotations (I can’t get numbers exclude garbage time substitution)
    Russ 4 games out, 2W, 2L
    10 loss in total, 3 Home lass (opp PCT .604), 7 Away loss (opp PCT .572)

jamisonrocket likes this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

My thoughts
    1. A scheme: Harden is a great player, prolific scorer and future HOF, but not a gifted 3 point shooter. While those nights he could not find his touch, somebody gotta cool him down from relentlessly jerking up 3s. He need a mentor and a scheme for those off nights.
    2. Triangle offense: besides harden and russ, we need a reliable 3rd options (starter) who can create his own shots to contribute 16-18 pts nights in and nights out. (I don’s think that’s EG who need to play role of the six man)
    3. 10-rotations: we need to ensure at least 10-player rotations, I would rather give up a couple of games let Harty to feel for the games.
    4. Swap season: we need to go all out adding 2 player with length and has mid-range shooting, 1 PF and 1 C, both of them can collet 6-9 boards each (shooting from downtown a plus), so that we let go players like CC, Thabo, D house as trading bait.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

stopped reading at "not a gifted 3 point shooter"

Reeko, vlaurelio, BigDog63 and 7 others like this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Statistics
    (based on ESPN box score)
    FYR

[​IMG]

RustyHarden and jamisonrocket like this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

then just let it go
    dunt give me wrong, obviously im not a beard hater.

8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I liked all your reply's.

I'm not quite sure what is going on in this thread but it seems like you are working hard at what ever it is

9. steddinotayto

...there it is.

I admire your work and dedication but those 4 points didn't need any statistical modeling because it's pretty evident.

Point 1: How are you going to mentor a guy that's increased his 3 point shooting EVERY YEAR since he's been in the league? He's been conditioned over 800+ regular season games to shoot.
    Point 2: At first I thought you meant Triangle offense like in terms of Tex Winter but I think you're implying having a 3rd option. We all want a 3rd option to exist on this team that can score 17-18 ppg to alleviate the usage of Harden and/or Westbrook but the way the team plays don't give anyone else an opportunity to be that scorer other than getting lobs/PnRs like Clint. On Gordon, he actually averaged 18ppg the year we won 65 games but that was a team with a very different make up.
    Point 3: How are "we" going to ensure this when the coach's MO is to do the opposite?
    Point 4: I don't mind using Clint as trade bait but you're asking for two players that can shoot from an area that no team in the NBA uses (mid-range) anymore. That's a hard ask.

fckbandwagons, da_juice, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden had a bad game, but the problems moving forward stem from lack of defense and quality at forward. It's that simple. A million guards and no wingspans around the perimeter.
    Just twin towers it for now until we make some type of signing in that spot. Hartenstein AND Capella it together!

vlaurelio, da_juice, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

ok, i spend hrs, maybe it's crap

hakeem94 and jamisonrocket like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not saying you're a Beard hater . . . just that your take on Harden's 3 point shooting is, shall we say, idiosyncratic.

Harden 3 point.jpeg

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

i mean he is not a pure shooter, he is not stephen curry, he can adjust his games while 3s just not falling in

14. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

My clue is this. PJ looks unhappy. Maybe bc he is only getting a couple of shots per game lately?
    I don't think they would be good on the floor together. But might be better than 5 guys 6'6 and under on the court at the same time.

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ramo$e likes this.
  16. TimV

TimV Member

You're displaying a volume stat. He is a league average 3P% shooter every year. He's a prolific 3P shooter who actually would be a better 3P shooter with better discretion.

da_juice, Ramo$e, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  17. steddinotayto

no one is Stephen Curry though. Harden's not a dead-eye shooter and sometimes those heat check 27 footers do get annoying but he's hitting 37% of his 13.4 attempts per game. That generates 15 ppg alone.

Let's say he cuts down his 3 point shooting by 30% to get him around 10 attempts per game. If he hits at that same 37% clip, he's generating 11.1 ppg

He then uses the 3 attempts he's passing up on 3s to shoot midrangers. Using his career % from 10-16 feet of 42% FG%, that's 1.26 FGM on 3 FGA which gives him 2.52 points (1.26 FGM * 2 points). 2.52 + 11.1 < 15 ppg. You're going to have to find a sweet spot where offsetting 3s with midranges would give Harden more points and I don't know if that sweet spot exists.

#17 steddinotayto, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    slothy420, Ramo$e, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here is the thing.
    Do 2 out of the 4 and almost all problems go away.

Do all 4 I guarantee new issues emerge.

Rocket River

Ramo$e, hakeem94 and DeBeards like this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

thx,
    actually, i have no time to write up an article based on my spreadsheet, but at least i can stop those whiner and hater complaining right after 2-3 Ls
    it's time to back on track, have some serious debate based on statistics

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

cool