1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scandalous Technology Usage

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Jeremy Williams

Well, the Astros and Red Sox have been been 'proved' to have cheated with technology.

As the rumor mill picks up, the Cubs were mentioned today. The Yankees are also assumed given that Beltran was their special advisor.

As you hear of more scandalous technology usage, discuss it here.

Buck Turgidson and lw17 like this.
  2. CinematicFusion

But hours after Monday’s report, veteran infielder Logan Morrison named the Yankees and Dodgers, in addition to the Red Sox and Astros, as teams that have used cameras to steal signs. An October article on electronic espionage in baseball by Scott Miller of Bleacher Report cites league sources who also think the Diamondbacks, Indians, Rangers, Cubs, Blue Jays, and Nationals have dabbled in the electronic dark arts. Belleville News-Democrat and MLB.com reporter Jeff Jones added the Brewers to that list shortly after Miller’s piece.

That’s more than a third of the league—apparently if you don’t know what pitch is coming next, you’re behind the times in baseball these days. Will MLB investigate any of those claims? Will any more heads roll?

3. Colonel_Quesadilla

baseball needs to go ahead and lay the smack down on everybody! I hate that the Astros did this because i dont think they needed to! At the same time they shouldnt be made into the poster boy for this either! I watched Steven A. And Max Kellerman stand atop their high horses and say how the yankees were cheated in 17! Completely ignoring that they were caught that year using technology to steal signs! If you are gonna crush one then you need to crush all

4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine if they had just named Clemens Pettite and Giambi in the steroids saga, then closed the investigation and suspended Joe torre and Brian cashman for a year while dragging them for winning by cheating?

I can't seem to be able to imagine that either.
    They need to investigate every, single team.

5. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’re discussing technological cheating, but what about economical cheating (though technically I guess it isn’t cheating, but should be): when some teams like Yankees/Cubs spending well over $200 million in salary, while teams like Tampa Bay/ Pittsburgh and other lower market teams are paying around $50 million. Is that fair? It’s not beating on trash cans.....

topfive and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Beltran gets fired from the Mets he should just come clean and rat out everything he did for the Yankees.

lw17, Tfor3, joshuaao and 12 others like this.
  7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Unreal that MLB won’t investigate the Yankees. **** you Manfred!!!

8. msn

msn Member

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

That's why the Astros' penalty was a slap on the wrist. The commissioner know every team cheat one way or another. It's a wide-league issue. if he actually comes 100% clean, everybody will get suspended.

Baseball has hit a new low. Astros firing Hinch and Luhnow was overkill. Hinch, i am fine with but Luhnow is tough to replace.

raining threes likes this.
  10. msn

msn Member

I see ppl saying this, and I can't for the life of me see it that way. A year suspension for both the GM and the manager? Four draft picks?? And the highest fine currently allowed.

At least two of those things are unprecedented. There is no way that is a "slap in the wrist".

For Pete's sake, we're looking for a GM and a manager, freaking four weeks before spring training!!

More like a b****-slap, if you ask me.

B-Bob, lw17, SemisolidSnake and 9 others like this.
  11. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Yeah, Astros deserved whatever they got. With that said, I’m against selective justice. There’s enough smoke out there about other clubs that more MLB investigations are warranted. If the league prefers to try and sweep it under the rug, I hope good investigative reporting or a whistleblower forces the issue. Perhaps Real Sports should dedicate an entire episode to sign stealing.

lw17 and raining threes like this.
  12. CinematicFusion

“It's the part about a source from the Brewers going to The Athletic to discuss LAD using video to steal signs that sounded... exactly the same? But when someone else (Fiers) goes to The Athletic about a different team a year later... hellfire rains down.”

raining threes and right1 like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The difference is that the Astros had an Astro rat them out and lay out every single detail. The story didn’t require investigation.

But yes, reporters shouldn’t half ass this thing. Expose everyone.

14. Deuce Rings

Sounds like a job for HBO's Real Sports

15. CinematicFusion

This right here. We won't hear another word about the cheating now. Not a single player will rat out their team from 14-17 knowing it could lead to someones suspension,firing, expulsion from the league.

BigM likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Takes a special piece of garbage to do that, those don’t grow on trees

lw17, right1 and CinematicFusion like this.
  17. CinematicFusion

Agree. Yankees got caught in 17 for using Yes Network camera. They got a slap on the wrist because everyone else was doing it. MLB was telling everyone to stop. Astros were foolish to continue, just a moronic decision.
    Yankees I doubt continued in 17 because they got called out for cheating, had that not happened...Yankees would have continued into 17 playoffs with their system. But Yankees act like they are on the high horse.....yet were busted for cheating that same year.

18. CinematicFusion

[​IMG]

19. conquistador#11

20. Deuce Rings

I just heard Tom Verducci interviewed on Satellite radio. He pointed out how interesting it is that most players that have spoken out on this issue since Monday's ruling are former players, that it's been 'crickets' from current players. When asked why he thought that was the case, he straight-forwardly replied "Because circa 2015 & 2016 they were all doing it". Makes sense to me.

BigM likes this.