1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan or Tilman Fertitta?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jan 15, 2020.

?

Would you rather have Tilman or Dolan?

1. Tilman Fertitta

32 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. James Dolan

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Both don't care about the team but at least Dolan doesn't care enough about his own money to splurge it year after year.

Tilman just got lucky with competent GM in charge when he bought the team.

If Tilman had fired everyone and hired what his sons think are the best fits, we'd be the next Knicks right now.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Meh .... not impressed.

jacoby likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't forget about not resigning Shumpert , dumping Ennis and not spending the MLE the last two seasons.

jacoby likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Can you guys imagine Da Real Morey working with that win at all costs , even cheating crew from the Astros ?!

A decade of Championships.

jacoby likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sorry Cheke .... your math is broken.

6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Ariza wasn't very good last year. He probably would have helped a bit but he regressed a lot. It's not my money and I'd rather Tilman spend it than save it, but I'm not going to kill an owner for deciding not to pay $30 million out the door for a player who ended up getting pretty close to replacement level when I wouldn't do it either if I were in his shoes.

Are you mad that we didn't resign Luc and get the 4 games that he played for the Clippers last year? Or that in the offseason we couldn't find a player for $2 million who was as good as Luc like we did when we signed him two years?

Morey's bargain gambles ended up being terrible. A lot of people nationally thought Ennis was a shrewd signing for the price at the time, though. He also ended up finding help off the scrap heap.

And CP3s decline had a big impact. His PER dropped from 24.4 to 19.7, Win Shares dropped from 10.2 to 6.6 and TS% dropped from 60.4% to 56.0%. That's very significant.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's still better than anything the rockets had after him. nah its not. the fact that you play with 6-7 players had much more of an impact. nah its not moute himself. it's the cheap ass owner who thinks you can replace those 2 with scrubs

when the rockets go 20-5 after the all star break and rated in the top 5 on both ends of the floor, yeah cp3's "decline" :rolleyes:

jowman likes this.
  8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This doesn't really make any sense, but to play along, they didn't have Ariza for that stretch either which proves they didn't need him!

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but cp3's decline. it sure came back to bite them in the playoffs when they had to rely on shumpert to come up big to win some games. with house completely loss. rivers and shumpert were the only ones playable. yeah you're gonna win that way

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

We only had like 6-7 guys we could play two years ago too. And CP3 had a pretty good game 6 offensively, but he was atrocious in the winnable Game 5 on the road that could have really flipped the series. You keep crying about Luc but he was unplayable in the GSW series because of the shoulder injury at the end of the season.

For the record, I'm not saying he was washed last year. I thought he was still a pretty good player and I've hated the Westbrook trade since it was announced. Two years ago he was arguably a top 10 player in the league. Last year he was a ways from that.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Difference being those other guys werent borderline nba players

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tilman is not a a bad owner like Dolman.

By the time Tilman's career is over, he will be know more as the King's owner, Vivek Ranadive.

13. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Last year's Ariza was not better than last year's House.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sure was. Did you not see house in the playoffs looking completely lost. House has never reached the status of ariza. Stop it

15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This is totally fair. I wish we had flexibility. But it's a similar deal with Iggy if he's the piece you are pining for. He's 36. GSW had to trade a pick to get rid of his salary. It's almost kind of weird now that he's not playing for the Grizz when they are competing for a playoff spot. I'm not convinced he's going to have a big impact. To add salary to get him before the season started is basically $34 million for a tax paying team. If it's your money is that worth it to improve your championship odds from 3.0% to 3.2% or whatever? Idk. Most owners aren't doing that either. Les definitely would not have.

Dan Gilbert threw money around overpaying guys well into the tax, but a big part of that was Lebron signing those 1 year deals and holding him hostage. If Harden signed 1 year deals and threatened to walk, I'm guessing Fertitta would have made some of these moves.

#55 ChillyPete32, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  16. jowman

jowman Member

We’d be the donald sterling clippers. Dolan is inept but willing to spend. Fertita is much more similar to his idol donald sterling.