1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Best article on this subject I've seen yet:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/...ra-boston-red-sox-fired-manager-sign-stealing

Excerpt:
    .........“But hours after Monday’s report, veteran infielder Logan Morrison named the Yankees and Dodgers, in addition to the Red Sox and Astros, as teams that have used cameras to steal signs. An October article on electronic espionage in baseball by Scott Miller of Bleacher Report cites league sources who also think the Diamondbacks, Indians, Rangers, Cubs, Blue Jays, and Nationals have dabbled in the electronic dark arts. Belleville News-Democrat and MLB.com reporter Jeff Jones added the Brewers to that list shortly after Miller’s piece.

That’s more than a third of the league—apparently if you don’t know what pitch is coming next, you’re behind the times in baseball these days. Will MLB investigate any of those claims? Will any more heads roll?”……..

And then the article’s closing statement:

” It is from this toxic stem that electronic sign stealing sprouted, as well as other even more insidious fruits: suspicious leaguewide spending freezes, service-time manipulation, improprieties surrounding the recruitment of amateur free agents, PEDs, starvation wages for minor leaguers, and a litany of other sins that are far more odious to fans and deleterious to the soul than sniffing out an upcoming breaking ball.

This is the disease, and MLB is treating one symptom. There’s no profit in finding a cure.”

mikol13, lnchan and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I see the media's overblown sanctimony has now infected this thread...

Its pro sports, people... we're not talking about world hunger, curing poverty, or healing war-torn villages.

msn likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I heard on LA radio this morning the interview of the trash can. He said he was innocent.

upload_2020-1-15_8-43-56.jpeg

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is exactly how I feel about it.

deb4rockets and Rock Block like this.
  5. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Thanks Captain Obvious....and yes this is a sports message board if that wasnt obvious enough...we're not discussing real world issues. BTW, I dont watch any media. I listen to 790 on iheart and thats abou it.

#1025 Rock Block, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Right on time YOLO. Yea it aint going anywhere and as I STATED in my post I'm no disowning the championship, OR my WS hats, the newspapers I ordered, or the framed WS banners I have on my office wall but I can't say it doesn't feel different now

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Discussion is perfectly reasonable.

But I don't think the city has suffered irreparable damage... I do not think morality will be questioned every time baseball/astros is mentioned in a Houston venue... I do not think the league will cease to function as we know it... and I do not think lifelong fans who claim they're never going to watch another game will actually do what they say.

RayRay10 and BigM like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's fine. you're free to feel that way personally

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then don't market yourselves as "The good guys" and market to children looking up to heroes.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

1/2 of the Houston children will cheat through life because daddy said it was ok, and the other 1/2 will live out a depressed life because their hero’s were frauds. It ain’t good lol. If u look at the bright side we should get a lot of future politicians out of this.

deb4rockets and Easy like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good guys? You're bringing up a marketing campaign from the mid 90's... by and large the worst behaviored/policed era in baseball ever?

Adults who follow/watch/play baseball now grew up with either cancer-causing tobacco chewing, greenie-popping, steroid-injecting, womanizing/philandering, illegal gambling heroes.

Again, your sanctimony over sign stealing (which has been going on as long as they've been using signs) is a bit overblown.

BigM and jklb like this.
  12. Rock Block

Supporting Member

I said "time to move on". This too shall pass....and I havent heard anyone say they were done watching. Especially lifelong fans

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wasn't singling you out at all... you can find plenty of the rest throughout the thread. Hell, there were threads started talking about how people are done with the team.

Rock Block likes this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

This absolute nightmare of a scandal is only exacerbated by them losing the last Series by a hair. I said in 2018 that the Astros didn't owe the fans anything because they delivered it in '17 but now they absolutely owe the fans a WS trophy that the media and other fanbases won't be able to take a **** on.

astros123 likes this.
  16. Rock Block

Supporting Member

All good, I knew what you meant, I was just clarifying my own stance which is I'm on till death, just realisitic about how I feel about it

17. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Ya know for some strange reason I feel like it could happen sooner rather then later. This team has a lot to prove now and will be out to do just that. If they can shore up SP I think they're still in the 95-100 win range and all bets are off once you get to the playoffs as we saw last year with the Washington Walgreens

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hey I was at the Championship parade, can't take it back, nobody can take that from me, i was there! Banners still hanging and will continue to hang!!! The trophy is still in Union Station!!! 2017 MLB CHAMPS!!! 2017 SWAG CHAMPS!!!

mikol13 and everyday eddie like this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Crane said title was not tainted so what's your deal...

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What else can he say? Really, You can't be this naive but I'll just chalk it up to tribalism.

deb4rockets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.