1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know. I think if it did, the MLB will say nothing about it...but we do know the Nats were paranoid about the sign stealing and we know of all the shenanigans in the post-season that happened with the Red Sox in 2018.

I do wonder about that, if they just changed to a less obvious system than the trash can banging or if they dropped it at all. It is hard to imagine a team dropping it after winning a WS...we know how superstitious athletes can be after all, I'd almost assume they'd keep doing it because of the results it netted.

Still, that year they were better on the road and before Cora and Beltran these guys were still great players so I do think this cheating thing was probably more of a distraction than a benefit. I know people will point to the Astros hitting the Dodgers pitching and what not but...Kershaw and Dodgers pitching has a history outside of the Astros of folding in big moments.

I guess history will tell. If the Astros win another title then I think this one will be seen much like the Pats title "Oh, they would have won any way."

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or they will never have a legit win ever again... because the media has already executed them and have no interest in ever backing down.

they just released an article where the media is “surprised” that the projected cesars win total is still 97. Of course they are very proud that the Yankees are projected to win 101.5.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The national sports media will always hate this team especially since it is centered around NY, LA, and Boston...and the latter they don't even talk about stripping titles away or anything, their bias for me is clear.

I do think they could legitimize 2017 by winning another WS though. I mean sure, people can always think that every win the Stros get is a result of cheating from here on out and you'll just never change the minds of those people.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Media should be surprised the Astros win total is 97. That is way too low*.

*Provided Verlander and Greinke are mostly healthy.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They took away a half win due to yesterday’s events. Media thinks that’s an underestimate and demands justice.... using it to fuel the “punishment too light” narrative.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Donaldson to MIN on 4 year deal. WOW.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they...don’t have to sign anything. In fact the likelihood of signing anything may be lower. I don’t think there are any positives on FA extensions

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If I were Springer or Correa I would actually think leaving the Astros would be a good way to rehabilitate my image.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

With Donaldson to MIN...how desperate are the Braves for a 3B? Do they bite on Arenando? Do they...trade for Correa and put him at 3B? A trade around Soroka and Correa is interesting...I’m sure ATL loves him, but we could put together a package.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Hopefully, you guys got a reality check. Bashing me as a casual fan and not knowing what I was talking about. You still think the casual fan doesn't care about the scandal? You guys are in lala land thinking that the average fan doesn't care. As much as I hate to say that I was right all along. I knew this was going end up bad and I regret being right but nevertheless ill still support this team and will spend my hard-earned money on them. It was obvious as **** that they were cheating when details started spilling out.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The only punishment that was too light was on the commissioner. His big point against Luhnow was it was his duty to prevent it from happening. The same point could be said about the commissioner as this isn't an Astros-only issue.

12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Does anyone know the status of the Gerrit Cole comp pick in this years draft? Also, what would happen if we were to sign a free agent next offseason with a QO attached to him? Or would we not be able to?

just saw there is an article on the athletic but don’t have a subscription

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be shocked if anything major besides a possible Springer extension happens between now and the start of the season. There's just too much uncertainty to move a major piece like Correa, which I never thought was gonna happen to begin with.

We're not in "need" of anything right now, so we can just let everything roll until the smoke clears and we know who is running the show.

awc713 likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"always hate this team"

you are delusional. The Astros were beloved by the national media when they made the jump in 17. Altuve is beloved, Verlander is beloved, Springer...

Perceptions changed with Osuna first, then Taubman situation and then this for sure. Prior to that the only people who hated "this team" was the reporter for the Astros who crapped on them every year.

astros123, Pringles and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros still have Cole comp pick. If Astros signed a FA with a QO next offseason, the Astros would lose the 1st round pick in 2022 as MLB doesn't want to give the Astros a benefit in signing FAs.

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, I never understand these unnecessarily aggressive and insulting posts. "You are delusional.."

I'm not talking about the past, I'm talking about the now. They WERE beloved, I mean that going forward they will always be hated.

Madmanmetz and Pringles like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm sorry if that felt out of line. I don't think you are a delusional person, but the idea that the national media will always hate the Astros is a delusional idea to me. I took "always" to include prior to this scandal. If you meant from now on, sure that is possible.

Pringles likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I know that the Stros were darlings for a long time as they built up their team and won it all. I understand why because it was like watching a team make all the right moves and slowly build itself up and finally get the pay off and then they won after the hurricane and Altuve was loved.

You are right that Osuna signing changed things and just being good long enough usually gets other fans to hate your team (I still remember when the Pats first won how celebrated and loved they were) and then the Taubman thing.

But what I'm saying is that a lot of the national media are NY and LA guys. They will never let this go as we've affronted their favorite teams. Some people are calling for more punishment (Player punishment which would sink this team certainly going forward) and you can hear how most of these guys frame it in a way of "How this affects the Yankees" kind of way.

I realize they are hated now for a reason, I'm not saying it is some kind of "Let's just dunk on Houston kind of thing".

Pringles likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All the picks get bumped up. Houston keeps the comp pick. The comp pick from Cole will somewhat at least offset the loss of the 2nd rounder. There’s speculation Houston might sign QO free agents next offseason to spread out the punishment, although I fail to see the logic of spending money to lose a pick so that the penalty of losing a pick gets delayed.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, best to hunker down. All trade value is at an all time low. No Correa deal. Extend Springer. Let Gurriel and Reddick walk after this season. Maybe try to extend Brantley another year (he hasn’t been implicated). Re-assess after 2021 and determine whether to do a 1 year rebuild (which would mean trading Bregman, James, and Pressly) or try to sign free agents (including possibly Correa) to extend the window.

Given the circumstances, if I’m Crane, I ask Springer and Brantley what the price is for just 2021 and pay it. That gives these guys a clear idea that the next 2 seasons are all that matter, and once next season is over all the players (except maybe Altuve) who were on the cheating teams will be cut loose.