1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://gocoogs.com/deriq-king-transfer-portal/

1. King was enrolled in post-bac courses for the spring semester but all of them were online-only. Therefore, he did not attend a class today and can transfer and be eligible for spring football. Some signs point to Miami as a possible destination.

2. On Sunday, King left the players’ “group text” that he led and assigned another player to lead it. No explanation was given.

3. Now that King has decided to leave, GoCoogs can reveal information we’ve known since that time: the “plan” to redshirt King did not originate with Dana Holgorsen nor was it first discussed on the day after the Tulane game. The plan originated with Eric King himself.

According to two sources, Eric King contacted UH AD Chris Pezman in the days before the Tulane game to inform him that if UH lost to Tulane, D’Eriq would “shut it down” and redshirt the rest of the season. One of our sources insisted we not release the info unless King decided to enter the portal.

The stunning, last-second loss to Tulane dropped the UH record to 1-3. When the redshirt plan was revealed, Holgorsen said he met with D’Eriq the day after Tulane to discuss redshirting and that he came up with the plan himself.

2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Good riddance. Perfect timing on Kings part. While Houston sports fans are being dumped on with the Astro cheating scandal and Texans epic choke. It will be interesting to see how he does. If he does indeed have Heisman potential you would think LSU or Oklahoma would be interested in him since both of their QB's are leaving and they both have had success in bringing in QB's from other programs.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

So far, it seems like the Holgorsen era has been a train wreck. Poor season, lack of fan enthusiasm, poor recruiting.

I know that many will say that Applewhite left the program in shambles. But damn, it seems like everything has gone wrong. Losing King is a punch in the gut.

4. Poloshirtbandit

I wasn't expecting him to come back anyway. If Car leaves I'll be really upset though. He was fun to watch.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Next season is going to tell us a whole, whole lot about whether Holgorsen is just chasing a paycheck or if he's legitimately trying to build something here.

Duarte had a good point about King. He's not an Air Raid QB. He could have been one, but now it's not an issue.

I think the Baby Holgorsen era may now be upon us.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

now we finally get to see UH with guys that Dana wants in his program. next year shall be interesting with the guys that have been recruited. lets see who gets the nod at qb

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

poor recruiting? actually not so far back in this thread shows a number of pretty talented recruits. King was never a fit under Dana's system to begin with

#6187 YOLO, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Poloshirtbandit

I went through the last few pages and can't find it but wasn't there a 3* QB commit?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Oh wow, a 3* QB commit! Did I just cream my jeans?

Holgorsen HAS been a trainwreck so far. He looks like a ****ing idiot given this King debacle. If you can't even convince your best player to stay, I'm supposed to believe you can convince others to join you? Worse, apparently the redshirt was King's idea THE WHOLE TIME, and Holgorsen lied about it out of what I can only assume is... pure embarrassment? He either got played for a fool or he's simply an idiot. Why the hell would you lie and say it was YOUR idea?

The only positive takeaway from Holgorsen Year 1 is that it's over. Miss me with your "oh, the kids played hard every game" battlefightin' B.S. Missed a bowl game for the first time in 1,000 years? "Oh, wait till next year!" Yeeeaaaaah... the Coogs will not be contenders in 2020. They're once again going to have to struggle for a winning record.

In all honestly, Massoud looks like a good one, but recruiting has been less than inspiring for quite some time now, and it looks like Holgorsen will be headed into year three with no momentum, no buzz, no respect, no nothing. This is not how you succeed at UH.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Holgorsen never commented on it. It has all been rumor and speculation. The closest thing we got to confirmation or info is that OL who quit and said it was (likely) Holgorsen's idea.

It's not unprecedented at all that there will be growing pains and friction with the roster as a new staff comes in. Remember when Briles ran off Barrick Nealy and brought in a some yokel named Kevin Kolb? I do. I wanted him fired for that. LOL.

College football is super volatile year to year. I think it's wise to reserve judgement after what was clearly a transitional year in 2019 for this program. We're heading into 2020 with about the same about of mojo as we did every single year in the Levine or Applewhite era. It's not a fatal circumstance by a long shot.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

DonnyMost likes this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

King was not the most accurate passer. Not sure he is going to be the star he thinks he is.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

King did learn from Hermann

15. Poloshirtbandit

I'm wondering what his expectations are. I don't think he has a real shot at being an NFL QB. He may be an undrafted WR.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's no where close to an nfl qb. he has next level speed. he has that going for him

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

He thinks he's the next Russell Wilson.

He'll be lucky to be the next Greg Ward Jr.

18. sabesque

sabesque Member

When UH hired Kelvin Sampson we lost our two best players in Thomas and House as a result. You want to be at a place where the program is bigger than, and can withstand the loss of a couple of names.

I'm not saying dana = kelvin. But the uncertainty + the bad news certainly feels similar.

Pat and DonnyMost like this.
  19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

He is not as good as Greg Ward. At least Greg Ward Jr. would do anything to help his team as evidenced in the way he evolved from a receiver, punt/KO returner into our starting QB. And we are seeing him again in Philadelphia, Ward turning into a decent receiver in order to help his team. I hope Philadelphia gives him a chance at some point maybe in some sort of a wildcat formation to run or throw a little when the situation calls for it. I am not a fan of King but I have the upmost amount of respect for Greg Ward Jr.

Sooty likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

King is a better runner than he is a passer and at QB eventually when you face a good team they will make you beat them with your arm.