1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

how old are you Nick because when the Steriod stuff came out there were Congressional hearings. CONGRESSIONAL HEARINGS.

Maybe it’s because you forgot but Steroids were way bigger than this media wise. We just have social media now

BaselineFade and vince like this.
  2. msn

msn Member

But none of these national dbags were whining about taking away WS titles from NYY or StL or Oak. They didn't pile on their favorite guys, only ppl like Bonds and Clemens, whom they hated. Sanctimonious BS then, sanctimonious BS now. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

majicdonjuan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. Carter Le Grand

How about a word from a neutral dude, me. I'm a Rocket man but not any other Houston team, tho' I did like the Oilers

Your Astros got caught cheating better than the others. The fact that you won the WS is what makes it major. There were no .250, Punch and Judy 'roiders in that congressional hearing. It's the big guns that take the heat. The 1919 White Sox weren't the only team being screwed by a tight ass owner and GM. They were caught because it was OBVIOUS. Y'all won the series in 2017 and you probably would have anyway, but you're the sac/lamb in this scenario. And like those Black Sox the 'Stros were caught for the same type of stupidity: whistling!

I know how you feel...my boy Mc Gwire was shamed and I hate his guts to this day, and I'm sure all the Astros alumni that were thrilled in 2017 are disgusted today. But you know, this too will pass. BTW: screw the Yanks and the Dodgers, AND Luhnow twice over ;)

arkoe, RayRay10 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. msn

msn Member

Ya they probably don't have permission to use our logo...

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

“If you don’t think any of this matters, take a look at what the Astros did to Yu Darvish (4 runs, 1⅔ innings) and Clayton Kershaw (6 runs, 4⅔ innings) in Games 3 and 5 of the 2017 World Series at Minute Maid Park.”

This is the kind of dumb **** that pisses me off. Anything the Astros did against any pitcher in 2017 was because of a ****ing trash can. It’s beyond stupid.

CrushCity, whiskeyred and mikol13 like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kind of funny how we have all this talk about the Astros giving up titles but nothing about the Red Sox.

It seems when it comes to the Red Sox, all of their players and organization just misses the blame and everyone is ready to scapegoat Cora.

When it comes to the Astros though everyone is ready to take down the entire organization

dmoneybangbang and LabMouse like this.
  8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The Astros were winners last four years or so. Can you image the Texans would win it all even with a cheating?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hmm, and when the Yankees come to town, the Astros should have a 2019 ALCS Championship ring giveaway.

msn and CrushCity like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pulled from reddit and extremely interesting:

Maybe Altuve Didn’t Cheat

This was deleted from /r/baseball, so I'm posting directly here.

I’m an Astros fan. In an effort to understand the scope of the Astros sign-stealing scandal, I’ve been logging every pitch from every Astros 2017 home game. I wrote an app that pulls all the pitch data from MLB — which includes the type of pitch and a timestamp. I then download the video of the games from Youtube (when available) and, using the timestamp of the pitch, create a spectrogram (a visual representation of frequencies) of the audio. I then have the audio and a visual to try to determine any banging. Here is a screenshot of the app. The data is stored in a database.

I haven’t finished logging every game but the results so far show every major Astros player used the banging except Altuve.

For example, here is an image from my appshowing the last 3 at-bats of the 3rd inning of the A’s game on August 20, 2017. You can play the video on YouTube. You can see during Springer’s AB he gets a slider with 2 bangs, a changeup with 2 bangs, two fastballs with no bangs, and a changeup with 1 bang. During Bregman’s AB, he gets a slider with 1 bang, a curveball with 2 bangs, and a slider with 1 bang. During Altuve’s AB, he gets four sliders and 1 curveball — all with no bangs.

The Statement of the Commissioner did state “Most of the position players on the 2017 team either received sign information from the banging scheme or participated in the scheme by helping to decode signs or bang on the trash can.” Most — not all.

There are a few pitches (~12 out of ~200 breaking balls over 50 games) during his at-bats where there is banging, but they are so infrequent and inconsistent they seem like the person banging didn’t realize Altuve was up. I can’t say for certain he didn’t cheat until I'm done. And even then it’s possible he used a different method, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. I’m only sharing my analysis of the data and trying to be as honest about it as possible.

I get that everyone is pissed at the Astros and they deserve it — I'm mad as hell, too. I just think that, based on my analysis, people should be open to the idea that maybe Altuve didn't participate in the sign stealing. He might not have cheated. He might be the Shoeless Joe Jackson of this scandal.

I’ll have my logging complete by the end of this weekend and post the results — whatever they may be.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It sure would be cool if Cora and/or Beltrán fell on the sword and publicly admitted that they devised the scheme essentially on their own while naming players who did not participate. I believe Correa and Bregman and possibly even Springer and Marisnick were young enough to be forgiven. McCann and Gattis are out of baseball and were not all that effective so who cares. Altuve, Gurriel, and Reddick are the 3 guys who were old enough to know better and decent hitters who could have benefitted from cheating. It would make me feel a lot better if it were proven that Altuve didn’t cheat.

whiskeyred likes this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Looks like they are already trying to go to bat for Boston:

marks0223, jklb and Rock Block like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

So they cheated but didn’t really use it? Oh ok.

whiskeyred likes this.
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Cora is gone......

16. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Cora is now gone and there is just as much ugly in BOS as there is in HST. BSPN always gonna “east Coast Up”

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Cant wait for the season to start so the Astros can go apeshit on MLB again.

BigM, Rock Block and jklb like this.
  18. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Hilarious, more to come I’m sure

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Well duh, of course Cora had to change it up in Boston. Astros changed up too and stopped banging in 2018.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Tim Flannery former player and coach...

“They are fining teams who try to steal signs ...hahahaha..got out just in time .

Ok...I feel a need to speak out, normal is changing, and today's norm is not the norm.
    For 26 years I was in the big leagues , 10 as a player, 16 as a 3rd base coach , 20 if you count the other years learning the craft in the minor leagues , from Boise , to Wichita. The seriousness of the writer, the expertise from the front office man, the commissioner, to those who have never lived it. Here it is...I have 25 World Series games under my belt, 7 elimination games, and a 7th game of a World Series. 5 World Series ,3 World Championships I know it don't mean much to those in front of a computer, with the answers and all the rules. So I'm gonna make a long story short. I had a video camera on every 3rd base coach every single night, I spent hours logging tapes trying to steal your signs and finding a way to beat you. You as well did it, in New York I knew the Valentine Mets did it, I knew the Cubs did it, I knew the Dbacks, St. Louis did it, I caught them, that's when the fun begins , you **** em up by changing signs, you tell the boys " if I put a hit and run on first pitch don't do anything, they will pitch out and now they don't have the signs, and you're in a hitters count" the list goes on and on.....if you aren't smart enough ( and believe me this isn't rocket science, it's being somewhat aware) it's your fault, now the game is turned into no breaking up double plays , don't slide hard at home, don't block the plate.if you are not creative enough to derail them, you've stopped thinking. As far as some of the greatest baseball writers who I love, read and listen to, and hang with. You are so off on the sign stuff. It's a high stakes poker game, big money especially as coaches . If you get caught , if your signs are stolen and you don't know in the moment they are close, they are on you...your not thinking, and now because of that the commissioner comes in not understanding, the writers write stealing signs is wrong. We had an advance scout that could watch your 3rd base coach for 3 days and be real close to getting his signs. He would send his report and I would watch you, or have a camera on you, if you haven't played , you don't understand how important this part of the game should be. You don't understand I would not only try and steal your hit and run sign, I would put our hit and run on that my guys knew, then in the same sequence put the other teams hit and run on so when they look at their cameras that we all used to steal the signs they would see and in their minds " **** they have the same sign for hit and run we have". It's propaganda war fare, its trying to beat you......so why you claim people aren't watching baseball because it takes to long, I say your taking the smarts out of it. ...I tried every night for 16 years to steal your signs either writing every thing you did down, or by looking at tapes because I had a camera on you, just like you had on me. Please leave the game alone, and every writer who wrote articles on this..be in church Sunday,because I know for a fact everyone of you looked at body language , vibe, and found a way to snake another writer to get the feature, get the win., leaving it with no creativity, no thinking, and the dumbing down of the greatest game ever......not that I know anything about it....Peace Tim Flannery.”

awc713, RayRay10, SS0101 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.