1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

people wouldn’t be saying there’s no asterisk if it was the other team that had won, but later got caught cheating so stop it...

Astros would be the ones to get caught...

dreamshakin and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I live in DC. When the Nationals made it to the World Series, I was torn. I wanted the Astros to win, but I thought, well, the Nats have never won, and the Astros have, so if the Nats win, that's OK. I felt kind of greedy rooting for a second title when we already had one.

Not in my wildest nightmares did I imagine losing those last two games, at home, and then having the 2017 title spoiled like this. And AJ and Luhnow gone ... and the picks ... My worst-case scenarios were way too tame.

htwnbandit, sew, napalm06 and 4 others like this.
  5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They did it to themselves. Have some ****ing integrity.

Also, **** the Dodgers. They lost game 2 and 7 at home.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I don’t understand: how were the players able to hear the trash can bangs during playoff games? I can totally hear the banging during the clip against the White Sox where the stadium is 30% full on a summer weeknight. But I’m supposed to believe that they could hear the signals during game 5 of the World Series?

I’m not trying to excuse anything. I’m more confused about the logistics during incredibly loud home playoff games.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They switched to whistling.

mtbrays likes this.
  9. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

LOL to Bellingers “best buddy” being known guilty cheater Ryan Braun!! Ryan was implicated in the Biogenesis scandal! Do the writers of the articles even realize what they print these days? Yea that says a lot about your morals Ryan. It’s good to know that if you’ll hang out with Braun then everyone in your book gets a pass at some point.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

1. They should have won game 7 in Dodger stadium then.
    2. They can hug and high five each other anytime they want
    3. Parents and grandparents can act like kids at anytime they want
    4.City of LA can come together anytime they want

Seriously though- this is unfortunate and feel bad the owner fired the manager and GM but it is what it is.
    Maybe Crane was afraid he'd be forced to sell the team?? IDK.

The sports world will always find a way to put an asterisk on any Houston championship- see The 90s Dream-Houston Rockets (Michael Jordan asterisks BS)

I'm not giving back my World Series ring (4 replicas) and I'm not giving back that joy nor the memories.
    Saints, Patriots, and Red Sox fans can't judge the Astros and many other MLB teams that have skeletons in closet.

#950 Tfor3, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not surprised the Dodgers feel cheated, imagine if this situation had been reversed this site would be going crazy.

That said in 2017 the Stros won more road games than home games and they clinched game 7 on the road.

sew and RayRay10 like this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. BleedsRocketRed

This is my sentiment as well.

Yeah, the statistics don't support the crime when you look at them but in the end we did cheat. We were warned by MLB twice to not do it and we still kept on ****ing doing it.

What hurts the most is it was the players who were involved. I honestly cant look at them the same anymore which hurts because as a fan I loved this group so much.

Its selfish. They essentially made the greatest sports moment in Houston since 1995 a black eye. Everything that surrounded that championship is tarnished forever. The Harvey flood "Houston Strong" rally, game 5 of the WS (arguably the greatest game in WS history) Altuve's MVP.

All of it is a god damn sham because of this except in the eyes of the deniers.We can say we were champs in 2017 but there will ALWAYS be "Yeah, but...."

I am ****ing angry and betrayed because I honestly thought our guys did it right. That they were indeed a special team that year and It was magical and FINALLY the stars aligned in our favor. Losing in 2019 really, really hurt because at least that would have been a fall back WS.

#954 BleedsRocketRed, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Surfguy, arkoe and J Sizzle like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is that in the 9 page report?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, it’s stated as one of the methods. And there’s a video of the World Series, game 5, where they were able to pick up the whistling during at bats.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Media members need to be careful... some of these tweets are borderline celebratory. Need to stick to reporting and not escalating/antagonizing/proclaiming.

This sort of behavior in their jobs no better than what they’re accusing the Astros front office of committing.

Tfor3, arkoe and BigM like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you're delusional

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re paid to report. What about that tweet consisted of that? This is also after he was critical of Luhnow’s statement (saying he’s blaming lower levels) when that was merely quoting the manfred report.

Manfred also issued statements saying teams should not be commenting on this at any point... and the reporters apparently don’t like it, so they’re taking up the mantle to do so and instigate... not really what they’re paid to do.

BigM likes this.
  20. msn

msn Member

Stuff like this is why many of us have such disdain for the journalist profession, when, as one of our own pointed out in a discussion here last year, most of them do things the right way and never make the kind of money hacks like Heyman and Drellich do.

Gray_Jay and RayRay10 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.