1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch and Lunhow FIRED

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Speaking of the Faketriots, how can they continue to call Brady the greatest QB in history when they have been caught cheating multiple times?

Tfor3, RasaqBoi and bloodwings19 like this.
  2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I hate that both guys got canned but I can certainly understand why Crane would do it.

I wish Hinch could have been salvaged. As much as the Astros have blundered media relations and PR statements in the past, Hinch has ALWAYS handled himself with dignity and class. I have nothing but respect for the man. I just wish he would have put a stop to this BS.

rugg31 and arkoe like this.
  3. mightybosstone

I feel bad for Hinch. It sounds like the guy didn't really want this in his clubhouse and that he fought against it. I always thought of him as a classy guy, and I hope he can still have a career in baseball.

On the flip side, I kinda don't feel that bad for Lunhow. Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful for everything he did for the franchise, and he's easily the best GM in Astros' history. It sucks to see him go. But he placed the guys on the team who allowed this to take place in the first place and created an environment that made it OK. On top of that, he was the one who added Osuna and who totally botched the Taubman situation. The guy's made some great decisions in recent years, but he's made a lot of poor ones, and I think I might have made the same call as Crane did on him if I were in his shoes.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes. He clearly was on a mission to hire only those who support DV and to be anatgonistic to female reporters... :rolleyes:

I'm sure Mike Elias, David Stearns, and uncle Sid were all of the same culture and are all working to train new front office execs in that same culture...

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

has nothing to do with DV. Has to do with the McKinsey Wall Street war profiteer bullshit culture that bankrupted this country and sent millions into poverty.

both Luhnow and Taubman were McKinsey alum

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Way to throw the baby out with the bathwater... and what about the other Luhnow disciples who still have jobs with other MLB teams? They must be of a different culture?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

the culture has been reported to be toxic for years. Taubman was just the first one to slip up in public.

8. AstrosRockets1818

It’s all just a ****ing nightmare. Hinch-Luhnow shoulda lasted another 20 years.

texans1095, jklb, HatsForBats and 2 others like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Give me details of the reported toxic culture? Or were you just wrapped up in the media frenzy with the Taubman incident and regurgitating those press headlines? Taubman clearly had issues... and was rightly fired for them.

Tell me why direct descendents of the Luhnow front office continue to be employed and sought after for GM positions around baseball? No, they're not running a gospel choir. Yes, winning does require an element of ruthlessness.... but again, explain the true sentiment of the "toxic culture" that you've been well informed of?

jklb and RKREBORN like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

dude there are leaked FO emails. Are you really gonna bury your head in the sand?

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Outcomes matter, but so does how you treat people. The glee that so many around baseball are taking in putting the boot in while the Astros are down has a lot to do with the perception that the team treated people in their own organization like crap. Meanwhile, Crane gets to wash his hands of all of this, but I don't think he looks good in this, either.

12. Beezy

Beezy Member

Which makes the brazen cheating so f'in stupid. Lost so much for so little gain.

rugg31 and texans1095 like this.
  13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What other reports are there that employees were treated like crap? I'm fairly sure the previous scouts did not like them because they were all fired and they brought in analytics guys. There was Taubman going off on a cu_nt reporter but he was not attacking employees of the astros.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I get that the report said this, but i don't get it. If Hinch wanted it to stop he shouldn't break equipment. He should just say 'stop doing it or you are fired'

astros123 likes this.
  15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Luhnow was an amazing GM, but I actually agree with Crane on the firings. Both of these guys have brought great shame to the team and if they were associated with the team in any way, everyone would always refer to the Astros as being cheaters from now till eternity. That being said, I think people would have forgotten about this scandal by the end of next year but a true businessman like Crane sometimes has to make the tough and painful decisions.

Manfred's report clearly states that if the Astros had stopped using these signals after the Sept 2017 Red Sox memo, the Astros would have been fine. But the Astros kept using the signals the whole post season and into 2018. That is some high level arrogance by both these guys.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does it look like I am?

You’re the one claiming the culture is toxic and everybody who has ever worked there is part of some vast social problem... exactly how was it all toxic?... or I guess we have different definitions of that word.

Did they attempt to exploit several different avenues to win? Of course they did... but the articles you’ve become enamored with we’re not describing despicable toxic behavior.

Luhnow was fried because the cheating scandal went on under his watch. Other stuff happened, but he was never going to be fired for that... and that stuff still happens on all teams (except the Texans, where fans wish they’d have a front office that was more ruthless and cunning).

17. elrond

elrond Member

Probably more disappointed in Hinch. He generally seems to have the right viewpoint on things, including the best response to the whole Taubman incident. Although it's nice to know he wasn't actively implementing the plan, as the manager he really should have done more to stop it. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be easy for him to get another job after the suspension.

On a side note, perhaps now we know the real reason why Bregman is learning Spanish, so he can get in on the sign stealing communication :p

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For everyone who has forgotten...

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Meanwhile, the camera and bashed monitors move into the HOF.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

This really sux, but I get that he felt this was the right thing to do

Yep