1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone show harden this ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by realonemo, Jan 13, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Full video.

2. Remlap

Remlap Member

Thinly veiled 'Trade James Frauden' thread

DeBeards likes this.
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Harden's contested 3-points are just a hair under 40%. His uncontested midranges should be at 60% to be even on effective points/possession. I think he does shoot that well, so he should take the shot. Plus it adds more variables to how defenders play him.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Don't agree with everything in the video, but I do agree that Harden abandoning his midrange J was a mistake. It's never a good idea to decrease the area of the court you can score from.

Do I think he should start taking lots of midrange shots? No. But when he's clearly not having a good game from 3, nothing wrong with mixing in a few easy 15 footers here and there. Especially towards the end of games.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I bet you sit in your room and laugh so hard.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How about you score 38 a game on ridiculous %s and then give Harden some tips??

34to11, hakeem94, Remlap and 2 others like this.
  7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

A full-on joker laugh ......
    [​IMG]

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm too smart to click on this video, but Harden is a career 37.9% shooter from 16 feet to 3 and a career 36.6% 3 point shooter - so yeah.

9. bongman

bongman Member

I can understand that folks can play devils advocate but that has to be contrasted to the other possibility of....what if Harden efficiently averages 38 ppg during the playoffs playing the same way? Unless they take the ball away from his hands all the time, he will kill any 1on1 coverage.

The most unstoppable player in the league as proclaimed by all stars who actually play against him. He only has 2 options in life, ball or go to strip clubs. I think we know the answer to that. :)

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  10. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Only time he should take one is if he doesn’t has his rhythm or if he is going in and refs are swallowing their whistles. Just a couple of shots or until he gets his flow.
    OKC wasn’t the first and only time and it wasn’t mostly about his defender but about Harden focus or energy more than anything else.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We have been one of the best offenses in league history for several years running. And we have employed below average to average shooters the entire run.

James Harden is consistently demolishing what we thought was possible as a scorer. Teams are defending him like no player in NBA history.

End of discussion on what our analytics dictates we do.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm, look I agree. But I feel like maybe...he has a small point. There are gonna be nights when Harden or the team cant hit shots. Maybe Harden should take those shots, especially when teams force him right. Just something to think about, it might help make our offense a little more robust. In the playoffs, teams like the Jazz,Lakers and Bucks are gonna try and make Harden go right.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why? This guy hates that the midrange game is damn near nonexistent. Read his stuff on Twitter. He’s a know it all A-hole.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I want to se him shooting the shot he presented in the summer.. i never see him shoot that shot

Mazulis and DeBeards like this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

They should definitely avoid long two-pointers, the percentages are pretty much the same whether it's a three or a long two, but a three-pointer is 50% more valuable. I mean it's pretty basic stuff. Why generate less efficient shots?

D-rock likes this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Tickle Tickle
    [​IMG]

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure but Twitter rando Brian has some thoughts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Three is worth 50% more. The vid was just arguing many these were contested 3's.

Isn't the league average on open three's somewhere near 38.5% ish overall 35%. Not sure if anyone have the stats on league average contested three's percentage (31.5%??) and open two's %.

Few where after PJ's high screen and harden was looking for options but didn't see had no choice but to reset. Defense just plays the perimeter or clog the paint. Refs rarely call def 3secs so a detriment to us.

I'm at peace that is is our identity. Even if that identity is predictable. Am hanging my hopes on the team defense, be good to crack top 12.

19. realonemo

realonemo Member

Look man JH is incredible. He may be the best offensive player ever. My problem is the fact that he's turning down wide open shots to dribble back into the contested stepbacks. How do you not see that he is letting the defense off the hook. The spurs in 17 embarrassed us because no body would take that shot which is why they kept Gasol in the paint the entire game. Harden then came back and added a lethal floater over the last couple years and it made him even more potent. I respect him working on his craft year in and year out. I just think that there is an importance to keeping the defense honest.

Rocks92, Bearded13 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In the regular season.