1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch and Lunhow FIRED

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's probably already said everything to MLB that they need to know as part of the investigation interview.

2. wcarranzajr

wcarranzajr Member

yo, this some bullshxx... I hope he has a PLAN B, he's been wanting to use.

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

The players either turned to save themselves and be given immunity or they just had no way of pinpointing players so you take out the leaders who ultimately the bucks stops with

4. HTM

HTM Member

That doesn't really make it any better. He knew they were doing it and had the authority to stop it and he didn't. So, he was still involved/complicit.

HouClone and Rock Block like this.
  5. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

It's my understanding based on reading the report that yes, they keep the comp pick.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And another thing...

Does anyone else have a problem with the fact that two men’s careers may have been completely ruined over this, and the players who did it didn’t even get a slap on the wrist? And what about Beltran? He was as deeply involved as anyone and is still going to manage with no punishment whatsoever.

I wasn’t always Hinch’s biggest fan, but he’s a young guy. His career may be over. Crane just took a big steaming dump on his two most important executives, men who were already being heavily punished by the league, and then drove a stake through their hearts instead of having their backs. Why would ANYONE want to work for that man now?

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

absolutely pathetic by crane, should get run out of town for this

8. HTM

HTM Member

The Astros scandal broke first but it'll be interest to see how MLB comes down on Boston.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you defend cheating that much?

10. Major

Major Member

Because baseball is going after organizations, not players. They don't care about punishing the foot soldiers.

11. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

What a mistake it was bringing Cora and Beltran in.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... so of potential 4 lost picks, they still have one within the first 3 rounds.... and every other pick after, with enough of a budget to sign all their picks.

Its a terribly harsh penalty... but to say this absolutely ruins their future is a little short-sighted. Even the bad drafting Drayton Astros still produced MLB players (and in some cases, all-stars) via the farm in the lean years... it was the incessant trading of prospects for past-prime players that did them in (along with being cheap and not signing a lot of picks, not just the top ones).

Gray_Jay and everyday eddie like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I would love to have kept both those guys in their roles for the 2021 season and Crane could have easily done that. But this is a justifiable firing and probably the best way to move on. Sucks but Crane isn’t a **** owner because of it. That’s a bad take.

gatsby and arkoe like this.
  14. Elienator

Elienator Member

The penalty seems out of proportion for the offense particularly given some of the behavior that MLB has simply ignored. However, ultimately the leaders of the organization are responsible for the behavior of the employees they oversee. Given how harsh the penalties were, I'm surprised that no players received any punishment. They are also responsible for their own actions and I'm not sure what message this sends to the players - it's OK to cheat if you want your manager fired?

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

guess we're officially 'rebuilding" in the front office

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wondering if this was forced by MLB...either way what a shitty day. Especially if Lunhow had no idea. I can understand Hinch (though I hate to see it as I love AJ)

17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I agree AJ seems like a good guy and "you can't fire the players" saying is ringing loudly now. Crane is trying to save face, whether or not he is going to far I don't know but he won't be accused of doing nothing about it.

18. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

JoeBarelyCares and Blatz like this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

20. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Probably be a movie in the future about this whole situation lol