1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passan] Luhnow and Hinch suspended one year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wall Street culture loses!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

If that's true, 100%. Lying to your boss is an easy way to get dumped.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Putila and Espada could be great. But the draft picks on top of losing Luhnow spells certain doom for 2022-2025.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Firing Luhnow might be.....regrettable.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think this helps the organization put a period on the end of this sentence quicker than if you had either Hinch or Luhnow coming back after some weird interim year.

BeBreezy, SWTsig and texans1095 like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Actions speak louder than words, Jimmy. You fire people then lie through your teeth about what's legitimate.

Everyone knows that title is tainted. I'll still gladly accept the championship though.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If Crane's admitting Luhnow's guilt by firing him, why promote someone internally into GM? Isn't it a poisonous fruit situation? Or just firing Luhnow to appease MLB.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Red Sox better lose draft picks for this too.

I don't like how they are excusing Jim Crane and saying he had nothing to do with it...but then punishing his franchise with a loss of draft picks.

They punished the individuals responsible so why the loss of draft picks? Following this logic, Red Sox should also lose draft picks.

RayRay10 and BigShasta like this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Firing Hinch and Lunhow sucks, but the Astros are still one of the three most talented teams in MLB. Joe Espada is a long-time bench coach that should have received a managerial opportunity in the past couple of seasons. He’s ready to be a big league manager. The key to maintaining the Astros’ success is whom Crane opts to hire as his new General Manager.

RayRay10, joshuaao, hieuytran and 2 others like this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

100% this. The only way to truly move on from this is by firing Hinch and Luhnow. Unfortunate for sure, but it would've been very strange to have them come back after 2020 and try to just resume business as usual. You think anyone would've traded with Luhnow had he remained the GM? Doubtful.

dmoneybangbang and MadMax like this.
  11. steddinotayto

I thought that was a huge LOL moment.

"Based on the report, the suspensions and your actions it seems like the Astros cheated in 2017, Jim"
    "Yes"
    "So would that mean your WS ring is tainted?"
    "No"

lol wtf?

gatsby and Houstunna like this.
  12. steddinotayto

I keep hearing about this mustachioed up and comer name Geoff Loo-know.

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Wow I didn't catch the beginning of the presser and didn't realize those two were fired until I came back here.

Just crazy...

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This. Basicaly report suggests there is some evidence Luhnow was aware of sign stealing (but not the banging) even though he denies it. It is MLB's view that it is part of Luhnow's job to keep this from happening. I do not think Luhnow was incompetent. I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on.

The most frustrating thing from the report is "If Hinch was unsure about how to handle the situation, it was his responsibility to bring the issue to the attention of Luhnow." So Hinch is suppose to bring this issue to a guy the MLB simulatenously suspended for a year? Come on. The reason Hinch didn't bring this issue to Luhnow is the same reason MLB just slapped Luhnow with a year suspension. In my opinion, Hinch was in a difficult position as the players, his bench coach, and his boss were pro-cheating.

15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Gangsta.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

not sure about that.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

True. Everyone cheating does even the playing field. We need more teams getting caught.

19. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Yeah.

If Luhnow or Hinch ever straight lied to Crane at any point, then I would fire them too if I owned a company. You never lie to the Owner.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

While losing the draft picks definitely hurts, it doesn’t spell certain doom for the future. There are 40 rounds in the MLB draft, and plenty of guys drafted outside of the first two rounds develop into top prospects and good major league players.

RayRay10 likes this.