1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passan] Luhnow and Hinch suspended one year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Lol, no it doesn't

We lost 4 draft picks, that's significant for sure. But you don't have to trade away young talent like those guys because of it.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe, let's see what happens. The Astros already have taken proactive steps to try and offset the punishments by revamping their minor league system and international strategy.

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Agreed. If people think the Astros didn’t earn that World Series Championship and aren’t even a really good team if they don’t electronically steal signs, they aren’t very smart.

BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Same. I’ve expressed this concern before and had more than a few folks tell me I was blowing the potential impact out of proportion. But you’re crazy if you don’t think players, and i mean both outside and inside the organization, and whether they’re sympathetic to the situation or not, are not going to do what they can to avoid the organization. That’s literally how recruitment and retention works - whether that’s baseball, football, oil and gas, tech or otherwise. No one purposely chooses to go into this type of situation if they have the choice.

Darkest day in houston sports history. Bar none.

DVauthrin and MadMax like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I am too. I think the team is uber competitive as is. This gives them more fire.

I’m ready to go.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. mikol13

Supporting Member

I don’t think it will be live. You’ll hear it after the fact.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

MLB says this is part of the price for winning the 2017 WS over a "legacy" franchise like the Dodgers. They better appeal and should win.

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. Fiah

Fiah Member

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

History tells us that free agents go where the most money is offered

So realistically we will never know whether this is the case or not cause we are already as high in payroll as we can go. Maybe players aren't interested in coming here now (or to the Red Sox, or Yankees) but we won't know because we did not have the money to offer them anyway

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agreed..there will be players who will be troubled about going into a situation where they know that their productivity, particularly if its great, will be labelled the product of cheating. Not if they have another option. This isn't going away for awhile.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's live stream feeds

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Crane about to invest in state of the art telecommunications.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh no not really. Cheating is very common in baseball. The biggest impact on free agency wasn't from players not wanting to come to the Astros, it was from ownership and the front office completely altering their plans because they knew punishment was coming and would be severe.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No but they will be trying to hit the ball up the middle as much as humanly possible when he faces them.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I doubt they appeal, and I sincerely doubt they'd win an appeal if they did.

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

19. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The punishment of Luhnow is beyond excessive. I would hope the Astros take the league to court over this. Luhnow was supposedly not involved and had no knowledge. How he gets a year suspension is beyond me.

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Anyone saying this is going to force a full tank mode is probably overreacting. They didn't take away international money at all. My guess is that we will be big spenders on the international market the next couple seasons. We are still one of the most talented teams in the league and if we hit on a couple international signings we can continue to sustain success moving forward.

I'm very interested to see if we fire Luhnow or Hinch.

I'd also expect a Springer extension soon to distract from this terrible PR and to secure some more success in the coming years without draft picks.

joshuaao likes this.