1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tuck wagon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sirjesse, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Imagine how good this guy would be if he were allowed the same physical play as in the 'Chuck Wagon' days....

2. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Williams Howard is doing good in the G-League, maybe that is Rocket's plan for Tucker backup after releasing Clark?

D-rock likes this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I know that Tucker is having a tough stretch offensively but you really expect him to average 2 ppg the rest of the season? Especially when he shoots so well from corner 3?

Covington is a averaging 13 ppg this season, similar to career avg. Bertrans is averaging 15 ppg THIS season (contract season) which is almost 8 points higher than career avg.

2 points differential between Covington and Bertrans does not support the much greater benefit Covington provides on offense.

And finally Covington has the better contract.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I assume you meant defense? Yeah, it's just hard to get excited about a 34% 3 point shooter, when we know on this team, shooting 3's is basically all he will be asked to do. Also since, it's about his career average, my hopes of him elevating that to 38% or 39% in this offense is slim. At least PJ hovers in that zone and in the playoffs shoots mid 40s.

Speaking of 2 points difference, there is exactly 2 PPG difference between House and Covington with almost identical shooting splits(House is much better from 3). I see your logic, and feel 2 points per game also doesn't warrant the value of a FRP to upgrade the defense of House.

I would like to see Covington over House, but not at that cost. This teams identity is shoot a ridiculous amount of 3's, yet we've never had a very accurate 3 point shooter. Only time we have, has been PJ in the playoffs. PJ in the playoffs looks like a 20M a year player, just because he ups his 3 point percentage 7 or 8 points. The defense he plays is almost identical.

Our team lives and dies by the 3, so why don't we get at least one elite 3 point shooter. I'm probably biased because I like tangible stats, even though I know it's not the whole story. It's much harder to quantify defensive stats, so it's harder for me to gauge Covington's value.

napalm06 and D-rock like this.
  6. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I think he has injury like Eric Gordon maybe need to have surgery. He seems get zero points in recent matches .

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In the past 10 games, he scored
    0 (injured)
    points.

I know scoring is not why he is on the floor. But he has made a total of 3 3-pointers in that 10 games on 23 attempts. That's 13% on 2.3 attempts per game.

That's alarming. His season average is actually still quite good at 37% on 4 attempts per game. He is either in a huge slump or something is not right for him. He is shooting much less and much less accurately.

D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Spot on. This also matches the eye test. Something is very wrong. We are getting nothing from our forward rotation.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

He'll be fine.

[​IMG]

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure wish there was someone behind PJ. oh wait a minute. the jersey says LTS

11. JackLordsHair66

This is really alarming and it’s really hurting the team on top of the already awful lack of production out of a House, Rivers, and Bmac (game to game you juts never know what you will get). PJ is actively passing up shots a lot lately. The dude is crispy burnt from rarely being able to catch a few mins rest each game. Dantoni is a dumbass.

manlisten, D-rock, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  12. raining threes

Until they get a 6'8 to 6'9 guy that can play PF/SF they will never win a championship. I would look around for an up and coming young guy to trade for and as much as I like Capela and Hart one of them would be a trade chip to get the player I'm describing. I love Tuck but he should be playing 25-30 mins a night not 38-40 mins. At this rate he will broken down by the time the playoffs roll around.

D-rock and Dacamel like this.
  13. raining threes

I think we've identified one of the three biggest issues with the team as currently constructed.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Also, our record for that 10 games is 5-5.The Tuck Wagon is our X-factor.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is looking like Luc . .. . . after his shoulder surgery

Rocket River

D-rock, Easy and steddinotayto like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is left of the corpse, is his charming smile.

17. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I hate when people say stupid things like Tuck Wagon is our X-factor when in reality if we replaced him with a similar person (Covington/Bazemore/Ariza) we would be sitting on a way better regular season record.

Everyone on this board loves PJ (soon to be 35 year old man) when he plays 38 minutes and scores 0 on a daily basis but how does this help our team? Dude gets flat out OWNED by a similarly aged washed up Melo and all Tucker could do was give Melo praise with high-fives/slap buttocks after every AND1 basket. How absurd is that when your team is down 8-10 points and you're encouraging Melo to post you up more so everyone in the world can see you suck at defense? Earth to PJ - wake up - this isn't last years Rockets closed 1-on-1 practice... you're getting destroyed at home where JVG and the world can see.

The day we trade PJ and start a REAL PF/SF is the day we start winning more games. Morey needs to trade this expiring asset ASAP before it rots similar to the EG extension. Any other team PJ gets traded to - I guarantee he will not be starting and/or playing 38 minutes per game. Let the (sub 9.0 PER) old man go back to his role of 20 mins per game and use the other minutes to allow him to admire with his ultimate shoe collection.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, PJ is 34...i don't want to be that guy, also because i literally love him, but at some point he's going to really decline, just hope we're not there already. One thing is for sure, playing him 40 minutes per game from the start of the season wasn't a good move.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

and PJ's the type to not complain and whine about being exhausted or hurt. but wow at some point you gotta realize you gotta find this guy someone that can spell minutes for him and be productive and no LTS ain't it

raining threes and Vivi like this.
  20. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

PJ isn't the type to complain?? Wasn't he complaining about an extension before the season started?

Also why would he complain now when hes a FA after this season? The more he can show the world he can be a starting (mediocre) PF AND play 38 mins a game the more $$$$$ he can make. Some people don't understand simple business-101 logic. PJ is conning his way to another multi-year contract and I hope it's not us.

raining threes, fattz and D-rock like this.