1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Or Mario Ellie

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How about both. Need an assistant.
    Also this team still won't go anywhere without proper role players with or without a good coach.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I blame him for Hartensteins nutmegging.... I mean, come on!!

D-rock likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's what makes Tilman a billionaire. He saw a 70 year old who can't coach in the playoffs without his star going nuclear and decided he wouldn't spend for the sake of it.

Watch him bring in Sampson and we become better next season. MDA is not a Championship caliber coach.

BigShasta and roslolian like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There are many options, both veteran and up-and-comer, who have strategic plans spanning further than just “more threes” and “shots just didn’t fall” and “go small” and “Harden save us please”.

6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

That's a fact we only have to look at MJ and Kobe. This on Dantoni and Harden just look at the last Clippers game. Doc Rivers forced James to pass out of double teams which resulted in a strong team win. You go to mix it up to keep your teammates engaged in the game. If you take 34 shots in a game and make 9 you owe your team an apology. You are sending a message that you have more confidence in yourself than them.

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

MDA deserves criticism, but Daryl Morey needs to go. The Moreyball philosophy has been exposed as a gimmick to get Harden MVP trophies but not rings. I trust MDA running his offense not Moreyball

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Last night the Rockets struggled to 70 points.

Coach's job is to generate open shots for his team. There were many of them. Players were passing them up, over and over.

If I'm Dantoni I'm asking Morey to get me less scaredy cats. House, Tucker, Capela and Westbrook are all severely flawed offensive players and we saw it all at once. Harden also sucked, and while I blame him for his playoff implosions I don't blame him or Dantoni for the last couple of months of cellar dweller losses.

It's totally on the supporting cast. We don't have any role players aside from Gordon that can get hot and be an X Factor. Most teams have 3-4 of them, where you're not surprised if they end up with 25 points in a hot game.

D-rock, HP3 and Gray_Jay like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

How d hell is he a HOF coach he isnt in the hall of fame. Dude doesnt even have 1 ring to his name and hadnt even gotten to the finals before hall of fame coach lawl

All MDA is known for is choking with a star loaded PHX team, now he will be known for not being able to get it done despite having James Harden, Westbrook, Dwight and Chris Paul at one point or the other.

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exposed as a gimmick? Then why is every team in the NBA emulating it? Get out of here with this nonsense.

D-rock, xaos, Smacktle and 3 others like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

lol you realize all the top offenses copy us right? Jeez sorry he didn’t play Hartenstein to really save us offensively. Such nonsense good lord. Every time we lose it’s the same dumb crap.

D-rock and xaos like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

clemons came in and lit it up immediately. he should have played the previous nite at ATL as well. pringles runs the main rotation players into the ground and then sits there and does nothing when they aren't even close on wide open looks. just keeps beating his head against a wall hoping if he plays them even more minutes with the same exact 3s only strategy, something will magically change.

snowconeman22, topfive and J Sizzle like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The top offenses copy us in terms of shot selection. They do not copy us in terms of shot volume and style. That should be as obvious as anything. The top teams have a variety of ways to beat you. The Rockets do not have a variety of ways to beat you.

The game of basketball is more complex than just “who’s hitting more 3’s” like some of y’all have been hypnotized into thinking. That may have been true 10 years ago when Morey was doing stuff that no other team was doing, but now teams have caught up to us in the efficiency chase.

pippendagimp and harold bingo like this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep this is key. From 2010 up until last year the Rockets have lead the league in MoreyRate(% of shots from restricted area or 3), they've been like 20% over league average and 10% of the second place team. The league average MoreyRate has been skyrocketing since then, every team has been copying us, and that's really been taking away our advantage. Last year was the first year the rockets weren't 1st in MoreyRate, the Bucks were actually ahead of us. Teams are catching up to our strategy, and it's killed our advantage. We're now only about 10% above league average, and only about 3-5% above some of the top teams. They're also doing it better than us.

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes they do copy us on both what? Go check who has the top offenses, the Bucks and Dallas. They take close to the same amount of threes that we do maybe more, go check. Then we go look at usage rate, Giannis and Harden and Luka are all at the top of the top go figure. Spread pick and roll for Dallas and 5 out for Giannis. Wanna know what the difference is, both their offenses don’t collapse without their star and before you “welp that’s dumbtoni’s fault” look at our godamn roster and look at their’s. You just want bullshit plays that’s just mediocre offense in the end.

The point of good offense is to generate good looks. We are generating open looks, and Harden was bad on the second night of a back to back.You don’t even know what are criticizing.

#595 HP3, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

I can’t believe anyone could watch that New Orleans game and still think like this.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea but the Bucks use Giannis a lot as well, his usage is extremely high. It’s a simple offense, 5 out for Giannis. But their bench is so damn good(same with Dalla) that they have positive net ratings without their star. Do we have that? No. I’d like to see any coach do that with what we’ve got.

D-rock likes this.
  18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think D'Antoni is a great coach. He was the coach that got us closest to returning to the NBA Finals. But this year we've had so many bad losses that seem due to lack of focus and effort. Just from comparing him on the sidelines and pressers this year to years' past, he seems less energetic, less invested. That obviously trickles down to the team. I think it's time to move on. Someone younger and that can light a fire when needed.

#598 dc rock, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    D-rock, xaos and pippendagimp like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's 70.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought he became a billionaire because he was born into a family that owned multiple restaurants in Galveston?

SF3isBack!! and D-rock like this.