1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook is making Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think you're following this thread very well. Let's back up.

The claim made was that Westbrook is responsible for Harden's shooting percentages being up. In a simple way, on-off numbers were used by saying here's what Harden shoots when Westbrook is on the bench in street clothes and here's what he shoots when Westbrook is active. You supported that.

I said let's see all of Harden's numbers/percentages and the team's when Westbrook is on/off the court. You didn't support that.

TLDR
    You: Look at those Harden %s without Russ.
    Me: Can we look at all the Harden %s without Russ?
    You: Hell no. Terrible idea. You ignored Kyrie.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

PhiSlamma15 and Chamillionaire like this.
  3. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

It's true. I think the main reason Harden shoots better is because he gets more rest during the game... and he doesn't feel he needs to force up shots with Westbrook out there.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This sounded way too crazy to be true, so I looked it up. Harden is ranked 159th in wide open(6+ feet of space) FGA, but he is ranked 2nd in open (4-6 feet of space) FGA, averaging 7.9 per game, and 6.7 of them are 3s. The only explanation I can think of here is that he's actually getting enough space on his stepbacks that those are qualifying as open shots. Anyone watching can tell you he's not actually getting 7 open 3s per game, at least not by the traditional definition of being "open".

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this must be it

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So I think that's a great explanation as to what may be happening there, but what about previous years?

I thought one way to know if these open shots and step backs are being counted the same would be to see how many he had previous years and yeah, he's always super high in the 4-6 range so it is probably his step back that is being counted as an open shot.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rockets offensive rating in games Westbrook plays

Over 120 when he’s off the floor(would lead the league and be the best offense ever)
    109ish when he’s on the floor.(slightly under league average)

Probably a 4 game statistical outlier on Harden’s numbers. But we have nearly half a season of results that show Westbrook craters our offense.

Also I’m not sure Westbrook’s pace has been as beneficial as some here want to make you believe...

#127 jordnnnn, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    tycoonchip likes this.
  8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

sample size: 4.
    pass

9. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Clutch is going off :eek:

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Be careful about the Rockets. Defy Carmelo at your peril.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

#WHOME

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone here is saying Westbrook is not a good player. We are however saying to think that he really makes Harden better is absolutely absurd. Harden makes himself better.
    I totally understand people not trusting CP3's health come playoffs. I understand that we probably could not keep CP3 because he and Harden had issues after the first season.
    Just don't say that the Ninja turtle on the court makes Harden better. Maybe just happier.

hakeem94 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Brodie played well with KD and PG and is playing well so far with Harden. No coincidence Paul George was an MVP candidate playing next to Brodie. KD won an MVP playing with that one man wrecking ball and Harden so far the MVP currently playing with Brodie too.

Greedydex likes this.
  14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

more he just doesn’t play as dumb.

Harden has no trust in other players and they can absolutely be trusted. They proved that when WB/Harden was out. At the very least they are against a defense as bad as Atlanta’s.

I wonder how coachable James is tbh.

#134 LorneMalvo, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I really wonder how Harden would transition if he was traded to a team with a head coach with a completely different system such as Pop or Kerr. I think he would have problems adapting as his offensive game is limited to face up iso scoring and playmaking while dominating the ball.

I don't think Harden is adaptable at this stage of his career. He definitely was when he first joined the Rockets. He was far more willing to move off ball and score in multiple different ways.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at Kerr. Pop would make him better

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Would Harden be willing to adapt to a playstyle where the coach tells him he has to move without the ball and he can't dribble in one spot for 15 seconds? He's so used to this play style now that I wonder if he would clash with a coach like Pop?

18. Greedydex

Greedydex Member

I’ve been thinking the same thing. At this point I don’t think James would be willing to change. Mike is the perfect coach for James.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think that he would because he genuinely wants to win. He's running MDA's system. Have no reason to believe that he wouldn't run Pop's. Now that we've see the true Kawhi that Pop harnessed to win a ring I see no reason why he couldn't do it with James.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

How can you say Westbrook’s style doesn’t mesh with other stars when several of them have had MVP caliber years with him? The Westbrook hatred here is ridiculous

hakeem94 and smp like this.