1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chance of War with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, May 15, 2019.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You mean you are hoping. A full escalation would be very unpopular top to bottom. For Democrats, it would be another maddening rabble about how awful trump is. And many would gladly welcome it, even at the expense of lives.

We could go on and on why trump needs to be replaced in the next election. He is not fit to be president. That said, Trump is not a war monger like many found on both sides. Trump played a dangerous game and so far it has paid off. If he didnt respond, the attacks would have escalated. Iran has continued to provoke the situation.

That said, anyone who suggested this would be wwiii is utterly ignorant.

2. Spooner

Spooner Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The dangerous game started when he pulled out the nuclear deal.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/01/03/us-iran-conflict-since-nuclear-deal/2803223001/

Also, do you think you believing Democrats want a war at the expense of lives to make Trump look bad is a form a projection here? I seriously doubt it. I think most genuinely don't want another decade long proxy war of weekly US troop deaths.

Trump may pander that he is a isolationist who doesn't want war and I believe he probably doesn't but his desire to not want war doesn't restrain him from the id part of his decision making where bravado and being the antithesis of his predecessor has led to him bungling his way into high stakes escalation games with Iran especially by withdrawing from the nuclear deal.

And the Neocons in Congress and in the Executive branch have taken advantage of that trait.

#1023 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    mdrowe00, Amiga and Nook like this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

5. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

There isn't going to be a war with Iran. Iran intentionally shot a bunch of missiles into a field for the cameras and accidently blew up a passenger airline leaving their own airport.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

7. astros123

astros123 Member

Al Jazeera is stating from its Iranian sources that no damage was even done to the American base LOL. The missiles landed over 300 feet from the airbase. For a country that has one of the most advanced missile attack systems in the Middleeast, it's hilarious that they couldn't even cause one shred of damage. Iran's Shabab 1 missile is one of the most precise missile technology currently out there. There's no fkin way if Iran actually wanted to hit its target that they couldn't. This seems like there was a handshake deal behind the scenes.

I wouldn't be surprised if both sides come up with a new agreement in the near future. Win-Win situation for all parties involved. Iran is just trying to save face at this point. All Iran ever wanted was America's attention so they could make a new deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Iran's sacrifices Solemani in exchange for getting a better deal.

Trump gets to tout that he killed a terrorist that Obama was too scared to kill and negotiated a better deal. In exchange Iran gets its sanctioned lifted that they've been bargaining for since 2016.

#1027 astros123, Jan 8, 2020
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I imagine that a few thousand of years from now, people will look back to this technological advancement period as a primitive period of human struggle for saving faces which at times trigger wars. J/k aside, we can all do a bit of listening and try to understand others struggles and their behaviors.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

I think Iran is going to step back, buy time and look for America to help them out by getting someone in office they can walk all over.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Nook and mick fry like this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No more ignorant that people who think Democrats want American blood just to make their case against trump.

14. fchowd0311

I really hope this is the end of the escalation.

jiggyfly, mikol13, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

It will. As someone whos, not a Trump supporter I have to give him credit here. I'm starting to think this was all strategically planned. Trump will now look like a complete badass. He killed Iran's #2 leader while not suffering any real consequences. He'll come off as someone who struck when needed be but had the temperament to know when to quit. I'm almost certain behind closed doors there's some sort of negotiating happening about a new deal. If Trump is able to secure a better deal then Obama had then all you can say is bravo. Iran is like that ugly girlfriend whos yearning for attention so she fks with your life just to get your attention. Once she has it she leaves you the fk alone. All Iran wants here is to have their sanctions removed and for more economic freedom. I speak pretty decent Farsi and I've been watching Iranian media and I'm almost certain of my theory now after watching their reaction.

We all thought Trump was playing checkers, but it seems like he was the only one who was playing chess all along. As someone whos a moderate Democrat, if this plays out the way i think it will this, will give Trump major points in the upcoming election.

Iran even attacked at night when it would be most likely there wouldn't be any troops roaming around the base. I wouldn't even be surprised if they gave the Americans the time and coordinates of their attack. I may be completely wrong but none of this makes ANY sense if this isn't what's happening closed doors.

#1035 astros123, Jan 8, 2020
  16. fchowd0311

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no hope for a new deal wit Iran in the near future. The best we can hope for at the moment is no more escalation. I honestly don't know what more Trump wanted from the nuclear deal anyways.

Iran has no motivation to get into a "deal" with Trump after withdrawing from a deal that America's own intelligence agencies stated that Iran was abiding by. They have no reason to trust Trump and most likely would rather just wait out Trump's presidency to not reward Trump for bad behavior.

Honestly your "I'm not a Trump supporter" line seems disingenuous because the rest of your post read like a North Korean state tv anchor sucking off Kim's dick with over the top rhetoric of his competence.

#1036 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2020
    jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

I have friends who live in Iran and life there has gone down the toilet since 2016. There is a massive shortage of foreign currency and inflation is rapid. Prices in grocery stores there fluctuate on a daily bases anywhere from 20-40%. The ONLY thing Iran wants is a deal. Iran new president is a moderate himself and has a very good understanding of microeconomics. As an Arab you don't know the shrewdness of politics there. Leaders would sacrifice their family for power.

Lol you're the reason why politics is so divided. I can be a moderate democrat without being a sheep. Grow up.

B@ffled likes this.
  18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. fchowd0311

I really couldn't give two ***** about your friend's opinion. Iran is not going to reward Trump for what they see as bad behavior. The Iranian people were also very happy about the nuclear deal that Trump ripped apart where Western companies were allowed to invest and allow their economy to grow.

The Iranian people know that US presidents have limited terms and would rather just wait out Trump and not reward him for pulling out of a deal they were complying with.

To believe that Iran is in any mood with Trump to start a new treaty negotiation is absurd. Just to review the timeline of what happened right after Trump pulled out of the deal:
    https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/01/03/us-iran-conflict-since-nuclear-deal/2803223001/

Be happy if there is no more escalation. That is the best outcome we can hope for at the moment. We are no were close to Iran sitting at the table to start a new nuclear deal. Again, they'd rather just wait out Trump's presidency at this point.

#1039 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2020
  20. fchowd0311

#1040 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2020