1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Sox accused of video room for stealing signs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jan 7, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

CBS reporting that Rosenthal and Drellich are breaking a story of the Red Sox using video room to steal signs in 2018. Joey Cora is said to be a key contributor of Astros sign stealing in 17 so obviously he could be in a bad situation here.

Also reporting that while what they are accused of isn't quite as significant as what the Astros are accused of, if there is no evidence of the Astros continuing it past September of 17, which is when the commish made the statement about it, that the Sox could actually face tougher penalties. Sox would also be a two time violator because them and the Yankees being fined for using electronics to steal signs is what led to the commish statement about this in the first place

My guess is before this is all over we have quite a few teams accused of this type of thing

RayRay10 and lw17 like this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, I think you'd have to be fairly naive to think this type of stuff isn't ubiquitous throughout MLB. The Astros are just kind of the poster boys for it, at the moment.

Same thing with MLB franchises and players with domestic abuse histories. I think something like fully 1/3rd of MLB franchises currently employ someone with a domestic abuse charge pending/resolved. More franchises if you account for former employers. However, the Astros are the great satan.

Same thing in big time NCAA basketball and football. Guess what everyone, it's not just a handful of schools that got caught massively violating recruiting rules. If Arizona is willing to pay DeAndre Ayton $100k to come play there, to remain competitive, every big program is doing something similar. It's all rotten to the core. Arizona is over here paying 5 stars $100k to come play and Coach K is getting his 5 stars due to his winning smile? Give me a break.

Gray_Jay, Cold Hard, arkoe and 7 others like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The more teams who get caught, the merrier.

This is great for Houston's public reception.

Gray_Jay, astros123 and Sajan like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ahh, it would be if it weren't for Alex Cora. All that does is strengthen the fact that Houston did in fact use tech to steal signs.

All you can hope for now is that others not named Alex Cora did too and that he's the fall guy for MLB.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

MLB is targeting staff, not players or organizations, so...I really think it's more likely that those involved get a suspension, possible ban.

So we'll see.

lw17 likes this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Pretty obvious this was Alex Cora's scheme that he took with him to Boston. Astros wanted no part of it that's why they let him go. He should be the only one to get punished.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd venture to say that MLB doesn't want to deal with the players union on disciplining these players.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That was never really in doubt. The dispute is merely the magnitude and breadth in the organization.

Using tech to cheat is widespread in the league, we didn't start it. We very well may have pushed it too far though.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I'd be surprised if any player gets any kind of punishment for this.

I think a few guys will get suspensions (long ones) and that's it. They will threaten bans and harsher punishments again.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

No matter what we will be 2017 champions and 2020. No way MLB takes title from Red Sox. Cheating will never stop, Fiers and his illegal substance on his glove will never stop. Steroids or juiced balls (MLB cheating too).

conquistador#11 and Houstunna like this.
  11. Senator

Senator Member

https://theathletic.com/1510673/202...sox-used-video-replay-room-illegally-in-2018/

MLB’s sign-stealing controversy broadens: Sources say the Red Sox used video replay room illegally in 2018

Nothing new here. Every team who wants to compete for the title steals signs and uses tech to do so. No one without extreme bias would think the Astros were the only ones to do it. Going forward the punishment can be heavier, but right now it should be limited to money only.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  12. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Don’t forget about Carlos Beltran with his involvement. Can we safely say that he brought some of those schemes to Yankees last year. And probably to the Mets this year if it weren’t for Fiers.

SS0101 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

I'd say, no vacating the title (this isn't college, and the Pats/Saints never vacated, so never a real serious possibility outside delusional NYY/LAD homers). Loss of draft picks looks less likely.
    Hefty fines slapped on the orgs.
    Lifetime ban on Cora
    Suspensions for Hinch and Beltran

Still love Hinch and gonna support him 100%. I guess the way Saints fans still stand by Sean Payton.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'm having a hard time trying to understand how on earth Boston's actions were any less severe or blatant than the Astros. They used video replay to decode signals, relayed that info to the dugout, and communicated to players on the field. That's like the exact same thing the Astros did, just the particulars are different. Then you add in the fact that they used the replay room, which was deemed illegal to use for such actions prior to the 2018 season, and that Boston had already been dinged once before in 2017. But yes, the Astros actions are more severe.

And what of MLB. They had maintained that the Astros were the only ones to have been possibly breaking the rules, that they wouldn't be extending the investigation to any other team. Well, it's nice to see a little egg on their face now.

The Astros are being probed by MLB for their alleged sign-stealing during the 2017 season, when they won the World Series, and beyond. Their means, however, were more direct than what Boston is reported to have done. Per previous reporting, the Astros had a TV monitor with a feed from a center field camera near the dugout steps. Astros players would try to decode their opponents' signs and then alert hitters if an off-speed pitch was coming by banging on a dugout trash can.

Since the Red Sox's alleged methods involved more layers and more "human element," some may view them as less egregious. At a fundamental level, though, both alleged means depend heavily upon video feeds -- i.e., electronics . That's widely frowned upon, and it's against the rules. In contract, decoding signs via traditional means not involving the use of electronics is not against the rules.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...s-during-2018-championship-season-per-report/

dannah likes this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It's because they are east coast and the ESPN's jock riders.

Handles, dannah, RustyHarden and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros, Red Sox cheating likely the same on a per stolen sign basis. Astros from what is out there had a system capable of communicating signs more frequently.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

But the whole trash can thing wasn't even illegal. It was simply the use of a camera. Both clubs used a camera to steal signs, both seemed to have used broadcast feeds. The Red Sox clearly violated rules put in place prior to the 2018 season in using the replay room. The Astros situation seems a bit more fuzzy. Did rules prohibit teams from using live-feeds relayed to monitors outside the dugout? And did it happen after the league issued the memorandum. If those two answers are no, then Boston's alleged misconduct is way, way worse. If yes, I'd say they're about on par, except that Boston would be a repeat offender.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Can't communicate signs using tech. While trashcan isn't tech, it transmitted the signs stolen with tech more often than a baserunner would.

19. Major

Major Member

MLB didn't say that. They said they wouldn't speculate and would follow the evidence, and at the time, there was only evidence on the Astros.

20. HTown2017Champs

Did the Astros stop after 2017? Did we stop doing it after the "warning" was issued by MLB, and if we did so in the playoffs, did we stop once Cora left? That'll be a big factor in deciding punishment.