1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Got the dub in the end. My biggest complaint was his crunch time playcalls. 2 mins left and once more we gave the ball back instead of just ending it.

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

[
    Yeah, I thought that was interesting, too - but you know what? It really seemed to light a spark - with the team, the crowd... Suddenly, it's a one-score game and everyone seemed to really respond to the moment.

Does anybody know the "correct" call there? The upside is undeniable - but I'm not sure it outweighs the downside?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Interesting isn't the word I would've chosen, lol.

A buddy of mine (Titans fan from actual Tennessee) leaned over to me and we was like... "he's not going to go for two, right?" and I looked at him was like "the fact I can't say no for sure should tell you everything you need to know about BOB".

Watson carrying a bunch of people into the endzone from 20+ yards out was the spark enough.

I'm sure that the Waffle House menu 2-point conversion decider chart thingie said going for 2 was the wrong move. The problem isn't that it wasn't technically the correct/best odds move to make (i'm not going to litigate or get hung up on something that is essentially a coinflip decision), it's that it was probably the very wrong move to make given how much time was on the clock.

4. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I didn’t even think twice when they scored down 16. Seeming scores were tough to come by to that point I assumed trying to make it a two score game with two TD and two 2 point conversions was automatic. Worse case you miss and your down 10, TD and a FG. Maybe I was just caught up in the momentum and it felt like getting eight points at that very moment would put more pressure on Buffalo.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That is exactly what I thought he was thinking too. "This game is low scoring, I better strike while the opportunity is there".

But with 17+ minutes left it felt a little short sighted/captured by the moment.

#4945 DonnyMost, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, I'm not sure "wrong" is the word, either - they cut the deficit to a single score and that simply can't be "wrong," right? You'd rather be down 9 than 10 because of the math, sure - but, at the end of the day, 9 or 10, you still need to score twice.

And here's the thing about the time remaining: prior to the scoring drive, the Texans had run 27 plays in more than 2.5 quarters. They were averaging about two possession/quarter. So it is very possible BO'B saw - not as you did, a lot of time remaining - but limited time remaining. I would like to believe there was legitimate urgency in BO'B's decision, and if so - I like that he was thinking along those lines.

I would also push back on the run being the spark - it undoubtedly was *a* spark, and likely a big one: but I think there's a sizable difference, mentally, between an 8-point deficit and a 9-point deficit. One you can wipe out in a single possession, which, again, provides urgency; the other requires two possessions from both the offense and defense (again, in a game in which you've had limited possessions).

Again, I may be giving BO'B *way* too much credit here - but the psychology of it makes sense to me: "Go get A stop and A score!" is a much better rally cry than, "Go get TWO stops and TWO scores!" IMO. I don't know...

joshuaao likes this.
  7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I didn't really have a problem with any of the late game play-calling. Thought it was right to go on 4th and 1 and didn't question either of the 2-pt attempts.

We are top 10 in the league in red zone efficiency, and I'd imagine well up there on converting inside the 5 yard line. Having Watson and those short yardage option plays, Nuk, and good TE targets make it a pretty easy choice IMO.

Hey Now! likes this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I thought it was the right call. Personally don't see the big difference between being down 9 vs 10. At that point its not like we were going to get 3 fgs and I think had they not gotten the 2 points and scored on the next possession (TD) they may have kicked the extra to be down 3 (vs 2). The upside was exactly what happened because it got them within 1 score which in turn, got the crowd up, put pressure on buffalo and allowed the score to be tied up with the next score. It just felt like they were steamrolling the defense at that point and the roll Watson was on in the drive, I thought the chance to get the 2 points was excellent

rugg31 and Hey Now! like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was fine on 4th and 1, but not with the play call.

The team's inability to rush straight up the middle - RBs or QB sneaks - seems to be a pretty common refrain from the last 5 years. Why not get your mobile QB outside the pocket? In general, BillyO seems to have converted to 4th downs where Watson throws it during the regular season, and it seems to have worked a bit more. Given the clock stopped either way on a change of possession, I would have preferred to see the ball in DW's hand in the pocket with the option to run - so maybe move the pocket, or whatever, something creative along those lines.

That aside, obviously coaching was much better in the second half.

I think the thing that really hurt the team and coaching the entire first half was his stupid challenge on the first drive. Absolutely NO ONE that saw that replay on tv outside of the stadium thought there was any possibility it would be overturned. And of note, the next drive, Watson seems to have successfully tiptoed the sideline for a first down, but the ref called him out a few yards short, and there was no challenge opportunity. and they just couldn't get ahead of the momentum...

DieHard Rocket likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Made perfect sense. Down 16, 2 TDs and and 2 - 2 point conversions ties the game. You had just turned momentum, strike while the iron is hot. Plus, there was still time to make up for it if u didn't get it. Y'all complain about O'Brien being conservative. Well, he put the game in Watson's hands.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I think all the Haters will have to leave Clutchfans for forever.:rolleyes::eek::D:cool:

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His offense still sucks. Takes Watson going completely crazy to score 22 points.

coachbadlee and juanm34 like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Weren't you one of the "haters" on Saturday?

Nimo and juanm34 like this.
  14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The second half was so nutters I had totally forgotten about that. Really dumb challenge.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

This^^^^^^^^^^^
    Stubborn BOB could of sealed the game if he wasnt so keen on running into a brick wall for 4 straight downs.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I just can't fathom how they don't have a dude watching the replay and then relaying - "no, don't challenge"

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMHO, every 4th and 1 play should be play-action PASS/ fake pass-RUN.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Nope. Haters just like to hate. I had a good reason to want him fired on Saturday.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why? His team won.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The first half performance of the team.