1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The point is the Texans were getting production from 2 positions with players acquired directly and indirectly from that trade.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ok I forgot about that. My bad. Everything else I said still stands true. Especially this from one of the articles YOU just posted and trust:

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

If your point was that they were getting production you wouldn't post Clowneys stats as well and no one would disagree with you.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bob wanted Clowney gone. No one disputes that. Move on.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

But I thought the reason he was traded was because he wanted "Big Money"

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

#sarcasm

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yep. He wanted big money and the Texans didn’t want to pay it. That’s why BO’B wanted him gone. To end the distraction of him not signing the tag tender.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro held out cause he didn't want to sign the franchise tag. You stop making ish up. You forgot the hold out already

Who doesn't want what they feel is their Max? You ever heard of a defensive player giving a team a discount?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He didn't sign the tag, held out. To do the Miami trade, they wanted him signed. Everyone says BoB was stupid for telling him about the trade but he had to.

Clowney put them in a bad position

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

BOB's GM incompetence put them in a bad position. He shopped Clowney and he got wind of it.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  11. vince

vince Member

I’m merely inferring from what I see. Perhaps you know some better information, or you inferred a different analysis.

I’ve said I liked his style of play, I was a big fan and still a. I was furious the Texans gave him away, eh botched the Franchise tag. Texans being able to salvage any returning quality players was sheer gravy. This was one of those trades that keeps you baffled because there had to be more in return and then you find out your team helps cover his salary for the season....Yikes!!!

Do you have any insight as to the origin of the bad blood between the Texans towards Clowney? Anything to do with Rick Smith and Dwayne Brown fallout? Or how the locker room turned on McNair after the inmates running the prison?

Nimo likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a waste because we've been down this road before.

Clowney was set to report and sign the franchise tag. He then got word that as soon as he signed the tag he was going to be traded to Miami and he balked.

He wanted to stay here, Obrien didn't want him. Once he realized that he decided to control where the Texans sent him.

Nimo and Silent_Bob like this.
  13. justtxyank

The reports we've been privy to are that BOB doesn't like the way Clowney practices. He's not a "try hard guy" apparently and it really bothered Obrien. That's all we've had come out.

Nimo and vince like this.
  14. vince

vince Member

And the Texans were well aware what type of money Clowney wanted. They had offered him a long term deal, which was turned down. They did so in 2018 and gave it another go this offseason. Obviously Clowney priced himself out of the Texans future and salary cap.

The Texans did their due diligence, and explored trade options, which reports were infuriated Clowney. Some say Clowney still would have played this season, but likely it would have been too much of a distraction. Which would affect the chemistry this team enjoys.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...clowney-rejected-texans-2018-extension-offer/

Nimo and BigShasta like this.
  15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

We’ll see what Seattle does in regards to paying him.

16. justtxyank

FWIW, I have no problem with trading Clowney. I think the trade that was made was bad one but I don't care that you make the decision to trade him.

"Some say" though is a dismissive way to describe what was set to happen. He was set to report. His reporting date had been worked out with the team. He was reporting on a specific date for contract reasons and was going to play. Someone let it get out that he would be traded as soon as he signed and he balked.

1) The team had the right to trade him as soon as he signed and it doesn't bother me that they lied to him about it
    2) If you were the player though of course you'd be mad
    3) Once he knew the situation he of course had every right to leverage the trade by refusing to sign

It was just a bungled situation. Once Clowney knew you were going to deal him no matter when he signed the jig was up.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No he had to sign the tag to be traded. Nobody is trading for a player not contracted.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SIMPLE DETEAIL?

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Franchise tags are normal operating procedure. What was incompetent?

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

he would have signed the tag to stay he’s playing on the tag and signed it when he knew he was going to Seattle.

and nothing we got in the clowney trade was used to get Tunsil and stills.

he should still be in a Texans uniform right now theirs no way around it.

Nimo, REEKO_HTOWN and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  20. vince

vince Member

Well I think Clowney proved he is due a hefty contract. He’s been very good and he will get a very nice signing bonus.

Good for him, he went out and proved he is amongst the elite defensive linemen/ linebacker in the league.