1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Hate to lose another arm, but tough choices have to be made. Good for him.

studogg likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He got 8 mil a year and he was our best reliever.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

That statement is more an indictment of our bullpen last year. He did have his best season but was gassed in game seven.

will has never filled me with confidence. I might be biased but when money gets tight I don’t want to overpay a middle inning reliever.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would rather have Joe Smith for 2 years at 4 million a year than Will Harris for 3 years at 8 million a year.

Relievers are always available at the deadline.

Smacktle, Gray_Jay, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

One of Harris or Smith was going to be gone. The Astros made the right move with Smith for 2 years/ 8 million total.

AznH-TownFan and Smacktle like this.
  6. HTown2017Champs

Thank you, next. Won us a ring, but cost us possibly 2 others (but do we make it that far w/o him?)
    Hope we can avenge 2019 and homer off of him in a rematch. Sorry still not over it.
    At least 2015 was to one of the nicest fanbases in America (KC), beautiful middle America city and not East coast scum.
    Nats fans are mixed, but eh they're still East coast and the curly W always has been and always will be ugly as hell. Sorry, always felt that way, rooted for MIL in the WC game (plus I always root for Midwest over East Coast, that's how I am).
    One more off the board, we kept Smitty at a good deal, that's great. Any other high upside pen guys still available?

More positive note, Alex Wood? CTH has this article. I'll do 1 yr/$4M base with incentives up to $10M, similar to the Twins deals.
    https://climbingtalshill.com/2019/12/28/astros-free-agent-pitcher-alex-wood-diamond-rough/

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

really happy for Harris. He deserves it, and has taken a long road to get to the top section of the middle relief pile--which so few actually achieve regardless (middle relief is mostly a lump of fluctuating inconsistency in the middle). Also glad the Astros didn't pay it.

Nook, RayRay10 and The Beard like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

He was already pitching for them so whatever. ;)

Jason Castro and Max Stassi

Vivi likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Really surprised Castro only got $7M/1yr. I would have really liked him in Houston at that price.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's been gassed in seasons before... but in game 7, he threw a perfect pitch that Kendrick just went out and got.

Ryan Pressly, when healthy, is this team's best pound-for-pound reliever.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The injury to and diminished performance by Pressly is a huge "what if" that is attached to last year's run. Having a fourth trusted arm would have been huge and maybe preserved Harris enough to have secured a second ring.

#1571 desihooper, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. raining threes

Why? He sucks

I mean I dont care how good a framer, defensive catcher he is if you cant hit more than you weigh it doesn't matter. (BTW, I dont think Castro is some kind of defensive wizard which he would have to be to cover up for his terrible bat.) I know he had a better year with the bat last year, but that was fools gold.

Or do you just have a former Astros thingy?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Our issue in the world series was hitting. Some of our clutch hitters just choked. It was as simple as that.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

After winning 3 straight in DC, didn't some Astros fan who traveled out there take out an ad in the DC paper thanking the Nats fans for being very classy? I think you're confusing Nats fans with Philly fans and Yankees fans.

kaleidosky likes this.
  15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'm a big fan of Will Harris, and I am happy that he got a really nice pay day, but I am also glad that the Astros did not sign him to that deal.

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. desihooper

Supporting Member

More timely hitting would have been optimal, but not having to trot out an admittedly tired Harris on Games 6 and 7 could also have been helpful, right?

raining threes likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He still made a perfect pitch...

mikol13 likes this.
  18. desihooper

Supporting Member

And we live with the result... that's baseball.

mikol13 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s a good player. He’s a career 93 wRC+ hitter, so while he’s a slightly below average hitter on the whole, he’s well above average for a catcher. He posted 5 straight seasons of 2+ fWAR, including 2013 where he was an all-star.

Not to mention he has almost always played on crummy teams, and I believe that average hitters on crummy teams have a good chance to be better than average hitters on good teams.

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Why, so you can consistently watch him strike out?!

raining threes likes this.