1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chance of War with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, May 15, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow. I guess this is where trump has led the republican party.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To clarify, are you saying Trump is playing a high level of politic here?

4. Senator

Senator Member

To clarify: Trump isn't a politician. He wasn't voted in to play by the rules, never pretended he would and hasn't. Thinking he's going to courtesy around looking for congress approval after they wasted thousands of hours in an effort to symbolically impeach him is delusional. Politics has always devolved into middle school games after the formalities and anyone who refuses to see that is naive.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, that's clear enough. And Yes, I know he's an idiot and doesn't care about rules or the Constitution.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I can't wait for the Republicans in Congress to state on the House and Senate floor that this is the position of the Democratic Party just as they did when Speaker of the House Robert DeNiro used potty mouth words to describe Trump.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

His base didn't support escalating to a war with Iran, at least not prior to this event. It would be interesting to see if his base now suddenly changed their mind for support. Likely yes.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Likely not.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I stand corrected, perhaps! The dude is much less hinged than I thought, god help us.

10. NewRoxFan

This is the part I truly was amazed by:

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there is no breaking point.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. shorerider

shorerider Member

I hope I'm wrong, but this may turn out to be one of the most idiotic, costly actions in the history of American foreign policy.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

when drawing a line connecting: (A) ripping up an existing multilateral treaty w Iran to (B) assassinating an Iranian general based on secret evidence... you could be right. God help us.

the hardliners in Iran just got a lifetime pass courtesy Trump, and the reformers a lifetime ban.

#493 B-Bob, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Rocket River and FrontRunner like this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what nation would follow the US into war now with that credibility gap? NATO partners that Trump has denigrated for 3 years? British, Germans and Canadians who have also spilled blood in Afghanistan and Iraq? Australians who are battling fires in their own country? War with Iran has been a boomer fantasy for 40 years and it's insane that a grudge left over from 1979 has been at the heart of so much "conservative" foreign policy for that long.

The fact that Karl Rove and Ari Fleischer were the two "expert opinions" on Fox News last night as the story was breaking is enough to make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. These people and the La-Z-Boy Patriots who support them have learned absolutely nothing over the last 19 years.

Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is Ja Rule saying?

superfob, Nook, calurker and 3 others like this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The key difference here would be that this person is a powerless former celebrity.

Meanwhile, similarly deranged and stupid people of right-wing persuasion currently sit all over Congress and the White House.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Based on what I've seen so far from the Trump base here, you might be in the minority of Trump supporters that might not think its a good idea to now go to war with Iran. Maybe the Trump base could respond to my comment that "oh it was a show of force that'll cripple Iran, and have them cowering in fear".... sure.... maybe that is the case, but what does your gut tell you will happen in response & what does basic common knowledge of the history of high profile assassinations with adversaries tell you about what happens next?

The Trump supporter response has been unequivocally pro-assassination & escalation with Iran in the past 10 hours. That seems pretty undeniable. The question is did Trump supporters support him prior because he ran as an anti-interventionist, and they are just flip flopping out of cult like behavior, or was everyone just being incredibly dishonest from 2015 to 2018 and they actually support forever wars in the middle east? If it's the former, will this action (assuming it leads to further military action in the Middle East) have any affect on Trump's support from his followers?

I find the confliction here quite fascinating.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not. He's also referring to the House, not the Senate.

The Gang of 8 is a bipartisan group in the Senate, which is under Republican control. You think that group would at least get the news and have some input before their Russian friend, or the news, or .... Anyhow, yea, sure something can be kept from Congress, but a strike of this magnitude. Glad at least Rand Paul is speaking up. But I expect him to fall in line soon.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Trump and his supporters should be very careful of what they are asking for.. Right now he's basically uniting the east.

As for those who keep talking about the Marines and the 82nd... I have served with those brothas and not a one of want to lose our lives to senseless BS. You guys keep acting as if this is some freaking video game or fortnite BS... These are real people and yes we all train for such things, but if we die or fight it should be for dignity and honor. Not for some idiotic want to be king who will never see a battle field.

T_Man