1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...wsuits-related-to-Houston-sports-14945092.php

Noteworthy considering Houston is dealing with payroll constraints. Between the 2 lawsuits related to the Comcast debacle there could be an almost $500M swing in funds. Surely Crane is operating under certain assumptions about the outcome of those cases, and hopefully any changes fall to the upside. Would suck if Houston suddenly had to tear it all down because a judge rules that Crane owes McLane $200M. Conversely, would be awesome if Crane suddenly got a $200M bonus from McLane.

One thing rarely mentioned is that Crane and his investors have seemingly made out really well on their purchase of the Astros. Even if the $600M ends up being what they paid, its worth almost double that now. That is another reason I think it’s perfectly reasonable for them to go over the luxury tax for a few years to make the most of this current group of players.

raining threes, Gray_Jay and Nook like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I could try reading, but will he be eligible for the playoffs?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't say in the story but I think this is right? DV = suspension & eligible for postseason; PEDs = suspension but not eligible for postseason

Nippystix likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like Urquidy. Urquidy gets a few more Ks than Musgrove. Though, I'd say Musgrove is viewed a lot more negatively by most than he should be.

Musgrove is an above average starting pitcher for the 1st two times through the order. He's one of the absolute worst in the third or fourth time. I'm surprised he's not a Ray. Though the Ray's are a card-carrying member of the cult of the high fastball, they also can get value out of pitchers that don't fit the traditional starter or reliever roles.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That sounds right. Thank you sir.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What exactly did that guy do?

8. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Any rumors about Harris possibly returning to the Astros? Hard to find an worthy starting pitchers, may as well beef up the bullpen.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Allegedly slapped his GF.

Haven't seen much about Harris interest in general. (Twins were at one point apparently?)

Maybe @Nook has some info.

#1549 J.R., Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He missed the trashcan and hit his girlfriend, instead.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don’t dislike Musgrove, I think he has some unrealized talent but he needs to change his approach. He reminds me oddly enough of Rich Hill in that regard.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I will ask. I know the Astros had made an offer weeks ago. White Sox, Twins, Yankees and Dodgers have expressed interest. He wants a 3 year deal and as of a couple weeks ago did not have one. Preference is Houston but they hadn’t come to the number Harris wants.

Vivi and Joshfast like this.
  13. ktex

ktex Member

and....Will Harris gone. :(

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

To the Nationals too :(

15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Well at least it's to the NL.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If you can't beat'em, join'em.

Good for him though. 8mil a year is a good payoff.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Good for Harris. He was amazing in October and on a personal level it really sucked that he gave up the big HR after doing so much great work to exercise the demon of 2015.

But he will be 36,37, and 38 the next 3 postseasons. With our financial issues I'm not down with paying an aging middle reliever 8 million a year.

We need one of our young arms to step up in the pen. We have a solid 7/8/9 as is, but gets sketchy after those 3.

Nippystix, gatsby, Gray_Jay and 3 others like this.
  18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Harris gone.... smh Luhnow you better pull some rabbits out of your hat quick before MLB drops that hammer

19. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Luhnow wasn’t gonna re-sign any of our relievers. I’m surprised we were able to re-sign Joe Smith to a deal But they could be because he missed 2/3 of last year. The money isn’t really there for JL to sign a reliever with contract similar to what Harris got. Plus, we have plenty of younger arms like James, Abreu, Peacock, and few others that should be ready to step up if they don’t start. Right now, all I want for the rest of offseason/spring training is an extension for Springer. After that, maybe a BoR starter to eat some inns until Whitley is ready.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

well said. You gotta be the team that develops will Harris. Not the team that pays him.

Nippystix and AznH-TownFan like this.