1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Doesn't matter. They will get the stigma of being "Cheaters", facts be damned

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I hope everybody watched the 49ers-Seahawks game last night and saw Pete Carroll likely drive Seattle's season into a ditch with baffling game-ending decisions. It bolsters my theory that there is exactly one elite head coach in the NFL (Belichick) and the rest are (mostly) interchangeable whose success is dependent on talent, health and luck.

#4862 Hey Now!, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    houstonstime and mikol13 like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Interesting how the quality of a QB only seems to be relevant when it undermines BO'B success... Never mind the win against Connor Cook with *with* Brock Osweiler, right? Or that two of BO'B's three playoff losses were with Osweiler and Brian Hoyer starting. No, no - those bad QBs don't matter... But Connor Cook - Connor Cook matters! HE'S WORST THAN HOYER & OSWEILER! He is, of course - but that doesn't make Hoyer or Osweiler good/better QBs. I mean, Hoyer matched up with Alex Smith - who is nothing extraordinary - but he's started seven career playoff games and thrown 2 fewer interceptions than Hoyer did in that one start. But CONNOR COOK!

I'm not a fan of ignoring 95 games so we can focus on 4 completely disconnected games over a six-year period. But if you insist on that being the *only* way to evaluate BO'B, we at least need to agree to be intellectually consistent about it. There's been exactly one playoff game where he started a competent QB and I'd argue - as much as I like Watson - he was probably the second-best QB on the field (and then proceeded to play even worse).

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I saw the game yesterday but Billy O still can't wear Pete Caroll's jock strap going back to USC to winning a super bowl... it's clearly night and day as I hope the bills thrash the Texans so we can move onto a new regime with ZERO doubt...if Bills don't then I'll wait on the chiefs, Ravens or dare I say Titans to do it healthy

B-Bob likes this.
  6. CrazyJoeDavola

Both QBs were terrible, but Osweiler was at least the Texans starter for most of the season. Connor Cook I believe was their 3rd string emergency QB. The Raiders I am quite sure had to drastically dumb down their offensive gameplan. The Texans didnt.

7. Hey Now!

Pete Carroll is a good coach. Here is his record, pre- & post-Russell Wilson:
    47-49 (.490); 2-3 (postseason)
    86-41 (.677); 8-5 (postseason)

They went 3-0 (obviously) the year they won the Super Bowl. He is otherwise 7-8 in the postseason with exactly one other season in which he won more than he lost.

And here is Bill O'Brien's record, pre- and post-Deshaun Watson:
    28-30 (.483); 1-2 (postseason)
    24-14 (.632); 0-1 (postseason)

To label it a "night and day" mismatch.........

8. Nook

Nook Member

So Pete Carroll has ten times as many playoff wins compared to Bill O'Brien?

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Yes. Cook was worse. Osweiler was still objectively bad that year - in fact, he was, technically, the second-string QB by then because he had lost his starting job. It's just remarkably convenient to flat-ignore the Texans' objectively bad QB when dismissing BO'B's one playoff when because it came against an objectively bad QB. This isn't a terribly difficult equation, unless you're determined to not see it.

10. Hey Now!

Yes; in eight more NFL seasons of experience, he has more playoff wins. Weird!

Russell Wilson has started 13 of Carroll's 18 career playoff games. Watson has started 1 of BO'B's four. Without Wilson, Carroll is 2-3; with him, 8-5. Do you think he suddenly learned how to coach better in 2012? Or did getting Wilson help? BTW, since reaching the Super Bowl in '14, Carroll is 2-3 in the playoffs - and if he drops to 2-4 because they lose this weekend, it'll be directly on his fire-bombing the final half of the last quarter of a must-win home game last night.

He's reached the playoffs 71% of the time; BO'B 67%. (And before ANYONE screams "WEAK DIVISION!" - Carroll made the playoffs with a 7-9 record.)

Carroll is (probably) a better coach - but that's not the discussion. Is he "night and day" better?... By record... not really. Better... but, not......

houstonstime likes this.
  11. CrazyJoeDavola

I have no problem even saying that Osweiler was just as bad as Cook. However, Osweiler had most of the 1st team reps for The Texans during the year. The same cant be said for Connor Cook.

Point is, even though both QBs were terrible, BoB still had a huge advantage when gameplanning. That being said, I have no problem giving BoB credit for the win but lets not act like the teams were evenly matched.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Friend from the Cowboys texted me an hour ago. Everyone from the cowboys staff fired.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Swap Russel for Watson we'd still be here debating I guess...Bill sucks and may the Bufflao Bills end this Billy O era once and for all

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The relief must be something approximate to taking the biggest s*** of his life.

15. vonbock

vonbock Member

Hopefully Texans get blown out enough to make the mcnairs fire BOB and hire Jason Garrett.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Something odd happened this year. I lost money on my season tickets. I've been a STH for 10 years and this has never happened for me before. In total I lost 18% of my investment (to put this in perspective 10-15% return was normal... it has been declining ever since BOB got here). That's pretty remarkable for a "division winning team" that puts up 10-11 wins a year with one of the most exciting QBs in NFL. This city and the fans don't seem to be investing in this team, and no matter what banners we hang it's not going to matter to ownership if the value of their property is declining.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Or... everyone figured out that your seats are behind that one smelly fat guy. #siroccamsrazor

18. Buck Turgidson

"that one"? Clearly you've never been to a Texans game.

raining threes, DonnyMost and B-Bob like this.
  19. body slam

body slam Member

if BOB were to get fired who would you replace him with?

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How about buying tickets to USE them, not trying to re-sell them?

No sympathy for your loss.