1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are many Americans interested in this question. It took the hearts and minds of evangelicals to make civil rights a reality when images of Black Americans were getting beaten, hosed, or shot at in front of cameras. Evangelicals are still a powerful group that people once trusted to stand on the side of justice. Even wedge issues like abortion carried the weight for debating and considering both sides. The innate need for deciding human problems creates shortcuts such as technology, law, or innovation. If anyone believes a group of nine wisemen "solved" the abortion debate, it's taking the cheap way out and is part of the ongoing problem that surrounds abortion to this day. There never was a winner or loser to that debate, but you can pretend enough to make that a reality.

Whether people liked it or not, Evangelicals served as gatekeepers to America's moral conscience. The fact that they're largely silent to major issues dominating our attention is also why churches are shrinking. The other half is that news of multimillionaire pastors are becoming more common, and their political alliances are more self serving than any semblance of serving the people. No one wants to join a My Way or The Highway group unless they're going in the Born Again route or marrying in.

This smells of weakness, and it's always cheeky for church members to play the victim given the amount of money and political power they hold. It sounds like sour grapes for not having the power to control everything.

These mega denominations play upon that mentality. They grow in order to make a difference only to come across similar frustrations of not making a bigger difference. It's ultimately a choice of whether to give in and admit no amount of dollars or prayers can change the situation, or play the brave and fear inducing face that even more money, prayers and righteousness is needed...that more sacrifice among the congregants will deliver the blessings upon the church and their own that they have Earned and Deserved. When was community, fellowship and service not enough?

I don't hate Evangelicals as a political group, but I am deeply disappointed in them. Them not caring and savoring their "hard fought" sacrifices and wins is part of the Game I guess. One Party that wins among all this is the slavish devotion to the almighty dollar. They're always around in times of great moral compromise.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Interesting... do you think the current Israel is the same as the one in the bible and that it does God's work?

Thank you for sharing your opinion btw. I am also interested in reading that part about Israel and the church you speak of.

#22 dachuda86, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The answer is the same it’s always been. The Right and especially the Religious Right have been cultivated for two decades now to believe that the Left is an existential threat to their way of life, culture, and in part their religion which they believe is under attack via that culture change.

What Trump represents is someone or something that can fight that battle on a different playing field where there are no rules.

If you truly believe this (and millions do) why wouldn’t you be excited about Trump TAKING power? The word “taking” is no accident either.

I know this thread wasn’t directed at me in particular but being raised in the church going three times a week I certainly have a deep sense of what drives them, and understand their worldview.

The fact that Trump is immoral and can get away with murder is kind of the point to him being useful to begin with. What folks on my side just don’t understand is how under attack the Religious Right truly believe they really are. The power that FoxNews and right wing hate radio cannot be understated by how it has completely shaped a generation and changed...really the world in a sense.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’m not sure if you’re a Christian or not, but regardless I agree with pretty much your entire post unfortunately. Democracy, “Americanism”, and Capitalism have infected the Church in the US.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

if you’re talking about the land promise given to Israel, Israel as a nation, no I don’t think that Israel in the Old Testament is the same today. But if you’re talking about the people, yes. I see the people of Israel as still in diaspora and scattered across the globe. But for the evangelical, Israel is important because God’s promises are faithful and He has promised to restore the land, people and King for Israel.

It’s the same for the Church actually. God’s promise is fulfilled in part but not in whole. Which to connect this back to the discussion, why I feel
    like many churches/leaders today that support Trump and hitch their wagon to him are placing faith in a fallen man or fallen system. I find that doing this, all to bring the Evangelicals idea of “wholeness” absurd and foolish. The gospel of Christ is what transforms culture. Not the hand of any earthly ruler or king. This is a basic theological understanding which is why I’m having such a hard time with understanding why churches and their leaders are supporting Trump. We were never meant to win the culture wars or to defend our values. That’s not our place in all of this.

6. Rox>Mavs

You know I honestly think....though not fully convinced that the cultivation has something to do with the baptist governance structure. It’s modeled after the democratic system where every member has a vote. They vote deacons and elders. It in turn can become a very political process. So somewhere along the way the idea that evangelicals had to defend their values not only in a democratic system of their own church but in the broader unbelieving spectrum of American politics is why we see what we do today in the Evangelical far right.

no where, imo, does the Bible encourage Christians to defend or counter attacks on their values. Quite the opposite. The Bible models Christ followers to engage the culture, to live at peace with the people, to have meaning relationships that transform culture from within. The current landscape of how the church has chosen to align with Trump smacks of Satan tempting Christ in the desert with all the power and kingdoms of the world. To gain authority and power, but without the pain and suffering of the Cross. The Church, it feels like to me has taken that deal to win power, but without the path Christ laid out for us.

if I sound frustrated or preachy, please understand that it’s not that. I’m honestly sad when I write this. I believe my God is deeply disappointed and saddened by what He sees in His church today.

mtbrays, B-Bob, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Interesting... so Israel is largely just a group of people to you and not a country. That is a very interesting definition. Do you think a lot of American Christians feel this way or lean toward seeing modern Israel as what they should support and hold it true thart Israel the nation today is the same as in the Bible and feel bound to support it? I think many Christians often equate the two and may explain why many support Trump who is a hardliner for Israel the modern entity.

8. Rox>Mavs

Israel is both to me. But the nation in its current form isn’t the nation I’m thinking of when I think of God’s promise. It’s a man made definition of the nation.

I don’t think a lot of evangelicals feel the same way as I do. Or I least I suspect and am coming to realize. My sicking suspicion is a good number of Evangelicals are either cultural Christians with poor theology or more devoted to America than they are Christ. Either way it’s a failing of the Church to properly train and disciple leaders.

what I find most disturbing is that there are some serious Christian leaders that support Trump which is why I’m here asking the questions. I’m challenging the theology and biblical basis for it because from where I stand it makes no biblical sense at all. It is, until I’m proven otherwise, rebellion and sin against God.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Completely agree about the Baptist structure that can be problematic but I see the same line of thinking cross from Baptists to Catholics to rednecks who drink beer on Sunday morning instead of go to church. The one unifying source of cultivating their political beliefs is FoxNews.

A little of my history - I grew up in one of those Baptist churches that morphed into one of the many non-denomination churches all over the place now where jeans are the dress code, and the band plays Rock music stuck on E cord. (Guitar players know what I’m talking about). My dad was nominated as a Deacon in that church as well, and remember how they actually chose the pastor so it is interesting how it mimics a Democratic process, but from the folks on the right that I know are much more fascinated with autocratic forms of government as of late. There’s definitely a bit of jealousy of what Russia has currently. I think thats another area FoxNews is cultivating well with the Right.

Im also more sad that anything. I’ve changed a lot as an adult obviously and the hypocrisy is a big part of what turned me off completely in my 20’s. In my 30’s though after having a family, I still consider myself spiritual and believe that being in touch with your spirituality is part of what makes us human. So to me it’s a shame that the hypocrisy of modern religions who have become corrupted by defying the separation of church and state, are what keeps many people from being able to realize their spiritual side because it’s such a turn off to even think about seeking that out.

Separation of Church and State is put in place to protect the church and protect religion. People on the right don’t see it that way, and that’s a shame. To me the biggest issue is there seems to be a major shift away from the teachings of Jesus, and yes... Jesus’ politics (he was political believe it or not). It wasn’t right or left then though but he sure as heck would have spoken out louder than anyone if Trump was the Pharaoh or Caesar at the time. That’s for sure.

#29 dobro1229, Dec 24, 2019
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Instantly thought of...

[​IMG]

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Great topic, what blows my mind is how (what seems to me) many so called Evangelical Groups support Trump. When the Op-Ed came out last week I thought, wow, someone is finally calling him out for what he is but then you have 200+ individuals of "The Church" call the OP out and say they defend Trump. I cant fathom how they think this man is someone they want representing him IMHO. I was raised in a Pentecostal Church and I shutter to think what my old pastor (RIP Pastor James Kilgore) would think about this man............I hope he would take the high road and call him out

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They will lose eventually. The gays will be able to get married. People will be able to smoke mar1juana in the streets.
    In the infinite cosmos of space where the angry god resides. Those are the deity’s two major concerns. And The reckoning will come quickly and fierce.

so for your sake I hope you like the opposite sex and only drinking alcohol and not a dried plant.

13. Rox>Mavs

thank you for your thoughts but respectfully this isn’t the thread for you and I don’t want to derail the debate and lose focus. This is for a conversation amongst others of similar faith but who differ on practical theology. If you have a question that’s fine, but your input isn’t the focal point or purpose for this thread.

14. Rox>Mavs

I was taken aback (and infuriated by the same response from those 200 leaders). Which is actually what caused me to start this thread. I needed to understand how leaders who ought to know better can biblical support their thinking.

15. Rox>Mavs

see this is part of the conundrum for me as an Evangelical leader. These 200+ pastors/leaders who have come out in support of trump have fed the belief that all of the Church is in bed with the far right and Fox News. When I’m here saying, no that’s not the Church, that’s not Christianity. What these leaders are doing is far more damaging than any policy issue going on today. This is the perception of the Church now.

the only way to combat it is for other leaders (like CT) to stand out in disagreement, and so we have a divided church. Which then demands that we reconcile that difference through biblical debate and discourse. Hence the reason why I’m here looking for other Christians to engage and reconcile the difference.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

News flash... Most religious leaders especially Prosperity gospel preachers are massive grifters who couldn't give two ***** about the tenants of Jesus Christ. They just want the Trump cult base support. It brings in more revenue... I mean tithings.

Space Ghost likes this.
  17. Rox>Mavs

i just don’t agree with this statement. You think it’s most but it’s only because those who speak out are imo flawed in their theology. Those of us who don’t and haven’t, have chosen to not enter into the political discourse because it pulls the church down into a level of discussion it should always stay above.

you think most because that’s all you hear about in the news cycle, but I can assure it’s not all or perhaps even majority. The silent has chosen to not be pulled by others in the church, but it’s becoming untenable given how erroneous the some in the evangelical community has portrayed themselves to be.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the ones who vocally do the cable news circuit as Evangelical preachers defending Trump are definitely grifters.

They understand the inherent nature of how gullible someone has to be to be a literal fan of Trump. I'm sure some here defend Trump but most of them wouldn't consider themselves "fans of Trump". There are legitimate fans of Trump and the large bulk of that fandom comes from the evangelical base. They understand the inherent gullible nature of that crowd and understood how to profit from that gulliblness. Hence how most of these preachers doing the tv pundit circuit defending Trump are mostly flying around in private jets. Imagine if Jesus knew how people can generate a lifestyle of excess wealth and luxury while taking earned money from people far less fortunate and wealthy than them solely from preaching his story and word ?

#38 fchowd0311, Dec 24, 2019
  19. Rox>Mavs

won’t deny that there are those that fall into that description. But I would contend they do not represent the Church. Maybe their local church, but not the whole.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah his response to me was unwarranted. He should have had a disclaimer in the first post that he actually wanted to be taken seriously.
    There is absolutely no rhyme or reason why someone that was or is supposed to be Christian to support Trump. There are thousands of people that could have been in his slot to confirm conservative judges.

And your post sums the other aspect up well. There are so many that want a nice house and cars that spread da word of JESUS. That I just can’t take this thread serious. It’s a damn joke.